Texas crunchmeisters... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking around there seem to be lots of us from Texas. One mama on here even PMed me after a belly pic saying she recognized me from LLL... we live in the same town!
Crazy small world!
I'm not originally from Texas (grew up in Northern Illinois) and NEVER thought I'd be raising a family here, HA HA. We may move here in a while as I'm going to be checking out various graduate programs, although we likely won't move until 2008.
I really LOVE my community and will always have a part of my heart right here. I never thought I'd say that, either!
So tell me what ya'll think of Texas... you here for life? just passing through?
I just htought this was interesting because I had so many preconcieved notions of Texas and ends up I'm the happiest little clam here! :

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#2 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Born, raised and no plans as of now to go anywhere else! I have one major complaint and that is the AWFUL Texas heat. Every year I'm amazed all over again at how freaking hot it is and how much I hate it! I practically hide in my apartment like it's a cave, windows drawn, no sunlight allowed!
People complain that we have no scenery (especially here in North Texas) but it just makes me really appreciate going on vacation!
Check back with me after a pregnant summer, I may be singing an entirely different tune

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM

Hi, I'm from Austin but live in Germany.
I love Austin and sometimes wish we could move back. Although the heat and humidity is certainly hard to bear...
#4 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

PL- I'm currently just south of Austin! I love this area! Are you giving birth in Germany?

MR- I hear ya! My daughter was born in late May- perfect for Texas! I'm not sure how I'll handle a whole huge summer... at least its not hot YET!

#5 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 07:20 AM

Yes, dc3 was born in Germany and this one will be too. The hardest part of being pregnant over here is the lack of Mexican Food! I've been craving enchiladas and burritos like crazy.

My first two dc were born in Texas in October, and each time we had record summer heat those years. In fact, there was record heat in Germany when I was pg with #3. hmmm, maybe we will be having another hot summer this year (please no!)

Anyway, there is so much I love about Austin ,besides the food. Just the vibe, the activities for kids, homeschoolers, the music scene - although I kind of dropped out of that once I got pg with #1...
#6 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 AM

Hi Texas mamas!

Yep, echospirit and I live in the same little town south of Austin. Funny, huh?

As for my Texas "roots," I was actually born in Houston, but grew up in Oklahoma. Three years after DH and I married, we moved to Fort Worth for his graduate work. I LOVED it there! It is one of my all-time favorite cities. I wasn't into any kind of "crunchy" living then, though, so I am not sure if I would still feel the same love for FW that I once did.

We moved down here about 4 years ago - wow! Has it been that long? I love living in the central Texas - and all the focus on natural living around here is a wonderful bonus to the area. DH's job doesn't really allow us to stay one place for years and years, but I would be happy to be for a long time.

We really love living so close to Ausin - crunchy Mecca! Just such a cool place to be. But not literally cool in the summer, that's for sure. DD was a January baby - which was PERFECT around here. I wore flip-flops and t-shirt to the hospital. I am NOT looking forward to being super huge pregnant during a Texas summer. What were we thinking?!?! Oh well, at least I have some mamas to commiserate with!

(Oh yeah! A Freebirds just opened here in town and that has just about made my life complete! hee hee . . .)

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#7 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM

i'm from austin but living in denver!

we've determined that if we have one more winter like this, we're moving back to texas!!!!

i miss it so! :

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#8 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 PM

I was born in Houston and grew up in Dallas and moved to Austin for graduate school. I lived in Austin for 11 years and absolutely love it. I am now back in North Texas. My sister still lives in Central Austin and I "visit" at least once a month. Nothing would make me happier then to move back.

I too am not looking forward to being huge in August and September...are we nuts???

Texas Mommas!!

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#9 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

HAHAHA! We are nuts! At least we have a sweet little tribe going, so at least we will be able to commiserate with one another.

What would I do without a crystal clear spring fed river that remains 72* year round less than a mile from my home!?! I already know the river will be my main escape!

On a side note, has everyone already got their swimwear? I gave away the maternity bathing suit from my last pregnancy but was already given another which scared me because it is black... so I grabbed a tankini when they were $5 a piece at target, so I think I'm covered... Swimwear is the best (when I'm not pregnant or nursing I have to wear children's suits, so I feel stellar in 'real' suits)

#10 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 AM

Just chiming in as another Texas mom. (N. Tx) I didn't realize there were so many of us here due the same month! Cool.

My last two pregnancies were December babies. Both of them I "summered" the pregancy in Germany. So this will be my first TX summer-heat pregnancy. I'm sooo not looking forward to it. At. All.
#11 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 AM

One thing that helped during my Texas summer pregnancies was to put water bottles in the freezer, then grab one on the way out the door. It would start melting before I even got around the block, and then I would have nice frosty water to drink for a couple of hours and a cold bottle to hold against my neck or forehead.
#12 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 AM

I'm in the Houston area. Born and, except for a short stint elsewhere, raised here. No plans to leave because all of my and DH's family are here, but I would give anything to escape the heat (but please no snow! - Hawaii maybe?? )

This is my 2nd summer pg. DS was also due in early Sept, but I worked full-time so I went from a/c house, to a/c car, to a/c office, and back again. This time DS wants to be outside ALL.THE.TIME and the heat is already getting to me and it's only March! Okay April as of today. I've pretty much abandoned all my old maternity clothes, except for a few t-shirts and my lone pair of shorts!

I bought a maternity swimsuit on clearance at Target back in Feb, but I already had 3... so yes now I have four swimsuits! But to be fair my mom has a pool and I intend to spend a LOT of time in it! Plus I think I'm going to get DS a decent sized wading pool for the backyard to keep us both cool.

I love the frozen water bottle idea! That might be the key to keeping us from going broke trying to cool the house this year.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#13 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, mamas! I've been hanging out in the Oct DDC but am due on the 3rd of October, so may well have another September babe! I saw the Texas thread and had to jump over and say HI! I was born and raised here and, like tsfairy, have been here except for one short span - we spent 6 months in Santa Cruz, CA, 2 years ago.

I'm in the Houston area, as well - tsfairy, what part of town are you in? I'm in Sugar Land.

We have a small pool that will be getting plenty of use this summer! (That is once we get the pump fixed! ) I have a swimsuit from my last September baby that will hopefully still fit! One GOOD thing about the heat is you can still swim in September and October, which will feel awfully good come that time of pregnancy!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#14 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Hey HeatherB! I'm on the west side. Not quite Katy, but close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB
One GOOD thing about the heat is you can still swim in September and October, which will feel awfully good come that time of pregnancy!!
So true and definitely one thing I do like about living here!

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#15 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post
Hey HeatherB! I'm on the west side. Not quite Katy, but close.

So true and definitely one thing I do like about living here!
I used to live in West Houston near Alief (and in Alief for ages), so that doesn't sound like it's far away even though that's VERY relative here! I get out to Katy about twice a month to see my chiro and occasionally visit the outlets, but I never end up spending much time there. I know there's an active KatyCloth group and I'm on the list, but I've never gone to any functions.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#16 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM

So funny you mentioned swimwear, Vera! D and I went for a walk yesterday evening and the pool at our apt complex was PACKED! Already! D was very upset that Mommy said we had to go home and couldn't swim because Mommy doesn't have a swimsuit yet. I only have one and it just barely fit before pregnancy - there is no way I could squeeze into it these days!! I will look at Target and maybe our Motherhood outlet and see what I can find.

How fun to have so many Tejas mamas due in Sept (and early Oct! )

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#17 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Dacey's mama- Give me a call this week and I'll loan you one until you find one... I do have 2 after all!

#18 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM

I am from Texas and lived there until a little over a year ago. We lived in Rowlett when we moved to La. I am much happier here cause our life is so much more stressful but I do miss Tx a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page