What are the benefits of eating the placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I have been reading about some of you who did or plan on eating the placenta, what is the benefit. I think I would gag at the thought of it, but still interested none-the-less. Heck, if quite a few benefits I would certainly consider it, but I am having a hospital birth and wondered how hospitals handle a request as such or do they not allow it. :
#2 of 7 Old 04-01-2007, 12:00 AM

The reason I had some of dd's in my first birth was that I'd read it helped eliminate ppd. I also have read that it is used to stop hemorrhaging. I wasn't, but figured it couldn't hurt. I guess it is supposed to be the perfect postnatal snack?

I'd love to know how a hospital would handle the request.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-01-2007, 12:46 AM

This is something I haven't tried, but am considering this time (10% possibility) because I have hemorrhaged twice now with bad bad consequences (think baby at home and mama in hospital having surgery and IV antibiotics). My understanding is that there are hormones in the placenta that can help with pph.

4 kids under 10
#4 of 7 Old 04-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Mine was prepared by my midwife by being dried and ground up and placed into capsules which I swallowed. It totally warded off PPD for me, and when it started to creep in much later on, I started to take it again and felt much better.

I highly recommend it and will do it again this time.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#5 of 7 Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 PM

As far as I understand, placenta pills are like the perfect vitamin. I mean think about it, it is perfect nourshiment for the baby growing in you. And it even contains hormones that help with ppd and hemorraging. I plan on drying it out and putting it in capsules too. Some woman make a shake with a piece of it right away. I need to get some really good directions for drying it out. I'll go google it right now

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#6 of 7 Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 PM

It's easy to dry, just slice it up in thin strips and then cook it in a low oven until it is very very dry. To make a powder just put the cooled dried strips in the blender or a food processor.

No problema!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-02-2007, 01:41 PM

I have also heard that is extremely helpful for women struggling with iron levels b/c your body can easily absorb it's own red blood supply. I am planning on eating a fresh smoothie immediately and having a mw dry it out and make it into pills for pp.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page