We decided to skip the u/s... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my appt. yesterday my mw (birth center) asked if we wanted an ultrasound. I expected that they would recommend them to everyone because that has been my experience in the past. Nope. She says she neither recommends or not to healthy moms - she just leaves it up to personal choice. Studies have shown that they don't find much on moms they aren't expecting to find much on. Well, we've declined everything else, so we decided to opt out on this one too.

We got one with DS and we didn't find out the sex, but we did find out that he was the spitting image of my husband. Side profiles were identical and he had a long torso, short legs and big head. This time everything will be a surprise, and I'm really excited about that!

Everyone else I know IRL and online will think I'm a freak for declining, but I knew that you ladies would understand, so I thought I'd share...
#2 of 6 Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Well no one here will think you are a freak, that's for sure! Good for you guys for doing what you feel most comfortable with. I envy your self-control!! I am no good at surprises. I bet baby's birthday will be all the more magical and wonderful for both of you.

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#3 of 6 Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Good for you! I understand getting one if there is an issue but I have never understood the routine u/s. I got two u/s's with my first and she really didn't like it, I could feel her running from it. I haven't had anymore. What amazes me is that I tell people I am pregnant and that is the first question they ask "do you know what you are having?". I told someone when I was barely 12 weeks and that was the first question. You can't even tell then. I have been surprised with all my babies and I think it helps so much in those last few weeks. I would be sooo impatient if I already knew the sex of the baby. The anticipation is half of the fun.
Wendi
#4 of 6 Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Congrats on the no-pressure mw. It's so great that she is truly letting you make so many decisions and giving you the options.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 6 Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzyntaz View Post
Everyone else I know IRL and online will think I'm a freak for declining, but I knew that you ladies would understand, so I thought I'd share...
(Dropping in from May]
I *know* you elsewhere on line and don't think this makes you a freak! Of course, I am the "freak" of my DDC there, so my opinion may not be that reassuring.

Anyway, I'm at 35wks now, no ultrasound and really happy with my decision. I think it's great that you made up your own mind on this and are following what feels right to you.
#6 of 6 Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi RicosAlice! I don't post much on the other place because it's just too mainstream... No one would SAY I'm a freak, but you know they'd be thinkin' it!

I'm really excited about our choice. I hope I don't get bullied into a post dates one if I go over this time...

It's amazing that the first question everyone asks is "Do you know what you are having?" I always respond, "No, and we won't be finding out. We didn't with DS and we liked it that way..." Surprisingly, I'd say 50% or more people respond, "Good for you!" But we're definitely in the minority (except for these boards, of course).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page