OW! Chiropractor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, sitting at my makeshift desk because my company is moving offices, i seem to have torn the bejoosus out of something in my shoulder. i'm blaming this very cafeteria-esque table that my computer is on.

and now, i have decided to go the chiropractor (i've never been?!) this afternoon to get it fixed because it's really killin' me. i mean, this is to the point that i'm sick to my stomach from pain, and i have a massive pain tolerance. :

so, i called my insurance company and i have a $500 deductible for chiropractic services! yikes! i have to go because not one position is comfortable, but i'm just so frustrated that my insurance is so not friendly. as well, i'm a little nervous about going to a chiropractor when i'm pregnant. anyone else ever gone while with baby? :

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#2 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes! I have gone throughout my 2nd pgcy and also so far with this one. Is your chiro certified in caring for pg mamas? Check out http://www.icpa4kids.org/ for chiros who are certified in the Webster Technique and prenatal care.

You do NOT want your pelvis shifted significantly after 16 weeks, though that shouldn't affect your shoulder too much. Some chiros may continue to do "regular" adjustments later in pregnancy but from what I've heard from my prenatal chiro, it's not recommended.

You may be a bit sore afterwards since you've never been before, but they should tell you about icing if you are sore. If it's really tender it may be painful for just a second during the adjustment, but should ease up immediately thereafter.

I've had shoulder issues, back, pelvis, you name it! And it is SO worth it! (Though consider seeing a massage therapist if there is muscular stuff going on, too.)

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 09:08 PM

I went all throughout my 2nd pg and now again this time. We have never used our insurance, we've just paid out of pocket. I hope you feel better soon!
#4 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Be sure to tell the chiropractor that you're pregnant. It may seem obvious to everyone, but the first thing you should tell him/her is that you're pg.

And since it's due to the work thing, will your work cover the visit?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM

I've been seeing a chiro on and off for years. My present chiro was actually one of the very few people outside of my husband, that knew we were pregnant since I go weekly.

For sure find someone who has prenatal adjustment experiance and obviously tell them right up front. Most Chiros will not adjust until they have you x-rayed and examed those x-rays. This is where you may run into a little trouble b/c we're not supposed to get x-rays while pregnant.. I believe

You also used the word torn.. so I wonder if it isn't muscular problem. Do you have a massage theropist you can speak to?

Good luck and I really hope you feel better.

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#6 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Funny, I just came back from seeing the chiro a couple of hours ago. I saw him throughout my 1st pg too and he has been a lifesaver. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

well, i went yesterday, and though i feel a lot better... my muscles are very sore and swollen where i popped something out of place yesterday!
thank you all for your great advice!

he adjusted me entirely as i apparently have a problem with my right side in general. lots of things that shortened my leg. so he fixed all of those (i have sciatic issues) which was great. he actually sees mamas through their pregnancies has he has a table with a drop out for the belly to fit into! that was exciting. he adjusts infants and children as well. looks like i chose wisely!

he's a gentle chiro, so there was only one bit of cracking/popping, and that was to fix my shoulder. the rest of it was with a little metal adjuster thing that didn't hurt at all.

he gave me an ice pack to deal with the swelling and tenderness, and though i slept terribly last night from the pain, i strangely feel better all around. so yay for that.

unfortunately, i work for a very small company, and i don't want to bother with all the paperwork of workman's comp as the expense isn't as great as i thought it would be. i just couldn't be bothered.

i have another appointment on friday, but i'm going to see how this one feels before i commit to going to it.

thanks again for your words and information of support!

#8 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM

went all throughout my pregnancy and weekly during the last trimester. i couldn't be pregnant without it. it is sooooo helpful! they adjusted my back every time. also went immed after having baby and had her checked out too.
#9 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
i couldn't be pregnant without it. it is sooooo helpful! they adjusted my back every time. also went immed after having baby and had her checked out too.

:
#10 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Glad your chiro appointment worked out!! I am starting to go next week it will be my first time too! I am hoping it helps with my horrible back pain I have while I am pg. We are paying out of pocket.
#11 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjillbolyer View Post
Glad your chiro appointment worked out!! I am starting to go next week it will be my first time too! I am hoping it helps with my horrible back pain I have while I am pg. We are paying out of pocket.
well, i hope it helps you too! it's certainly helped me. i think i might have to keep going just for my hip as my sciatic is really bad right now from not being able to sleep the way i normally do (belly!).
my shoulder has healed in half the time it normally takes when i do this (usually a couple times a year), and the doctor is very conscientious about me laying on my belly as it's growing very fast at this point in the pregnancy.
we too are paying out of pocket (using my FSA that we had set aside for the midwife... but we have time to save for that!), but it's so worth it in my eyes just to have that little bit of comfort retained!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page