Where are you registering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there just one place to register for what you need? For example: carseat, co-sleeper (of some sort), pump, slings, etc.
What are your favorite sites that have some, if not all baby needs?
There is so much out there that I find it daunting. However, people are starting to ask me. Yikes!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#2 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM

we registered at babies'r'us for the standard stuff (carseat, stroller, rocking chair, etc) and then i started a wishlist at wishlist.com which is great because i can add things from lots of different websites (cloth diapers, slings, etc). so everyone can do their shopping online or in a store, it's up to them. as well, there are 'regular' things for them to buy in a place that's more familiar for them (babies'r'us) and the things that we've chosen that are specific to our family like cloth diapers on wishlist.com as well, i can add things as i find them which is so helpful!

whatever you do, i would NOT register at target. we registered there for our wedding, and they deleted our registry after 90 days without telling us. as well, there are still (a year later) unresolved issues with us not receiving gifts. their customer service was below par and nearly non-existent. :

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#3 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 PM

I'm not registering anywhere for this pregnancy as it's my 2nd and I can't think of anything I'd want people to buy me. Things like cloth dipes and such I rather buy myself.

For DD's pregnancy I did register at BabiesRus but for a few things but for the most part I requested gift cards. I had my baby shower out in Boston and we live in N. CA so it made more sense for people to give us gift cards that we could just go and buy what we needed rather than ship it all back.
#4 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Babies R Us for the mainstream stuff. Plus I like giving people an actual place to shop if they don't want to shop online. Also at www.myregistry.com to put things like slings and co-sleepers and other "non mainstream" items.
#5 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM

I did babiesrus last time, just because I knew that was the place everyone would look, and for your first, you need at least a few "big box store" things- carseat, pump if you're working, etc. I really like thethingsiwant.com now, since, like a couple of the others listed, it lets you list stuff from wherever, and I've become a big fan of supporting WAHMs instead of chain stores whenever possible. But I don't know of any WAHMs that make carseats.

I don't know that I plan to register anywhere this time around. Can't really think of much we need unless it's a girl, and then people will buy clothes whether I register for them or not.
#6 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefka View Post
But I don't know of any WAHMs that make carseats.

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#7 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM

I'm not registering for anything this go round bc it's my 2nd and we already have most of the basics. Carseat is still good.....

I registered for my first at Target, BRU, lots of mainstream places bc I have lots of mainstream friends...

Not one person bought off my registry...they bought what they thought I forgot...blankets, clothes etc...even though I specifically asked that those items not be bought....bottles and such too....

My aunt did buy the hamper I wanted...

My friends experiences are similar....

If I had to do it all over, I would just ask for giftcards...but my friends would still buy blankets and sleepers..
#8 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 AM

Last time I registered at www.diaperware.com , www.oompatoys.com , and http://www.jomamaco.com/

I had great experiences with all of them.

I have had friends register through www.thethingsiwant.com Pretty cool because you can pick to get items from nearly any store you want (even the little guys ).

As a mom & pop business owner, I just cannot bring myself to register at BRUs or the like.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#9 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm assembling my list at thethingsIwant.com. At this point it's mostly for my own reference (it's our third, so who knows if anyone will ask what we want/need?) as I'll try to buy most of these items myself if no one does help. I love that I can browse ANYWHERE and add things - so there are cloth diapers and slings and a stroller and swing! While the list is small, the variety is huge, to cover the things that really ARE on my list.

I have done registries for my boys at Oompa Toys - what a great idea! I think I'll look there for good baby toy ideas, too. Ooh, and to find somewhere with lovely organic clothes!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 PM

I will probably do Target because last time we did BabiesRus but lots of people didn't have one in their area. This time though I won't be having a shower so I don't think we will really get many gifts.
#11 of 14 Old 04-12-2007, 09:09 AM

This is my second, so I won't be registering....but last time I did Babies R Us. Kind of a necessary evil. They don't have the best prices, but they have most everything in one spot.

I lived across country from many friends/relatives and had showers ALL over the place. After my shower on the east coast, I returned EVERYTHING to BRU and then repurchased it all when I got home to the west coast. Saved on shipping costs.

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#12 of 14 Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM

I agree with the PP about TARGET customer service being horrible with registries, and just about everything else. In my experience at least.

But it is nice that they are more available. I live in Mesa, AZ, and even though we live in a HUGE valley (I think it's like 60 miles accross or something) which is the Phoenix area, there are only 2 Babies R Us. One is fairly close to us, but it's a bit obnoxious. I am going to start a list at thethingsiwant.com. That looks great, since many friends and family of mine are out of state.

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#13 of 14 Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Since this is our 3rd I doubt anyone will be getting us anything. We didn't get anything for our second - but we have kept all our stuff from the first babe so we didn't/don't really need much (Unless it's a girl - then I expect out family to go crazy buying girlie stuff). Except this time I will be cd'ing...I may check out one of the above wishlist places just in case!
#14 of 14 Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhammond View Post
I live in Mesa, AZ, and even though we live in a HUGE valley (I think it's like 60 miles accross or something) which is the Phoenix area, there are only 2 Babies R Us. One is fairly close to us, but it's a bit obnoxious.
Not trying to endorse BRUs by any means but there are now 4 in the valley. FWIW, I think they are all obnoxious!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page