18 week u/s and amnio - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we just got back from the Stanford perinatologist's office. Met with a genetic counselor who didn't give me much information. The only new info she had was the actual values from my Triple Screen test. My HCG level was borderline high (2 vs 1) and my estradiol level was just slightly low (.8 vs 1). AFP level was totally normal.

I had the level 2 u/s after we finished our discussions. The u/s tech was very nice and she called the baby a "model" baby for all her measuring and such. I couldn't believe how cute the baby was. We saw it trying to suck it's thumb and opening and closing it's mouth. It also was putting it's hand on it's face and head. They did a million measurements and I was very nervous. In the end everything came back as normal.

At this point I didn't want the amnio but they can only see something 50% of the time on an u/s for Downs. The logical side of me said to just walk away from the test but the worry-wart side of me knew I'd be wondering and wondering how to prepare for a special needs baby. I also have the stress that we are moving across country and I'd like to have a home birth. Home birth isn't out of the question with a Downs baby but they often have problems like the hole between the heart not closing after birth or platelet issues- basically they require a very thorough check after birth. DH and I talked and talked and decided to have the test. It was very fast and not too painful- just felt weird when they pushed the needle in. I now wait 2-2 1/2 weeks for results knowing whatever happens is in God's hands.
#2 of 14 Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 PM

I'm glad you were able to find some peace in a decision. I agree with you 100%, I think I would've handled it the same way..

Either way, you seem to be blessed with a wonderful babe... No matter what lies ahead, your child will bring you joy every day!!

You'll be in my thoughts for the next looooong 2 1/2 wks.
#3 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

mighty-mama: thank you so much. Peace of mind is really what I'm after. I feel like such a woman for having this need to know - I tend to be so logical in my other life decisions but not here. DH and I were both so strong today with our belief that no matter what this baby is ours. Honestly I can't fathom how someone could see the scans and all that life and terminate at 20 weeks. DH and I just wanted to reach out and snuggle the little mite.
#4 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Wow, sounds like a big day. Peace and health to you and your little one.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 AM

I hope that the next 2 weeks go by quickly, and that you get good news in the end. And I'm glad that the amnio didn't hurt.

DS:11 DD:8 DS:3 DS:13 months
#6 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 AM

I'm also glad you are at peace with your decision. I might have missed something, but was there a reason you had to do the triple screen in the first place?

FWIW, my SIL just had a false positive for spina bifida. Everything looks great on the ultrasound.

Best of luck mama.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#7 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

mommajb- thanks for your kind words

EricaE- also, thank you for your kind words.
#8 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Karen - I have been thinking of you and wondering how the testing is going. I am glad you and DH were both at peace with your decision to go ahead with the amnio. I know this wait will seem like forever! I am sending you many peaceful vibes and positive thoughts!! s

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#9 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

mommas2atti- I did the Triple Screen because I was so sick during the first tri that I didn't do the nuchal test. I am usually very "up" on all the tests and their good and bad sides. I guess I didn't realize just how poor a test this is. If I have any future pregnancies I will definitely decline as it is loaded to fail for women over 35. My values were just slightly high and they even started babbling about NST's in the 3rd tri to rule out placenta issues- geez. Really hoping I'll be with my home birth m/w by then.
#10 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

daceysmomma- thanks. I don't know if I'll ever be at peace with the decision should something happen. I am just taking it very, very easy for the next couple of days to ensure that no complications arise. If I didn't have my faith I know this would be even harder. The decision was very difficult. It is counter to all of my "leave the pregnancy alone" beliefs. I didn't realize I would feel such a strong nesting need to prepare for a baby that might have such a special need.
#11 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post
mommas2atti- I did the Triple Screen because I was so sick during the first tri that I didn't do the nuchal test. I am usually very "up" on all the tests and their good and bad sides. I guess I didn't realize just how poor a test this is. If I have any future pregnancies I will definitely decline as it is loaded to fail for women over 35. My values were just slightly high and they even started babbling about NST's in the 3rd tri to rule out placenta issues- geez. Really hoping I'll be with my home birth m/w by then.
Got ya! I hope everything turns out perfect for you. Keep us posted mama.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#12 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 PM

Wow- that sounds stressful. I hope the next 2 weeks go really fast for you and that the news is good!

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#13 of 14 Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Glad to hear the baby looked so great!! I know how hard it is waiting on results as I have a special needs son with a genetic brain disorder.

Wishing you all the best!
#14 of 14 Old 04-12-2007, 02:47 PM

I'm glad things looked good on the u/s! I will be praying the next two weeks going by quickly!! Yeah that you got so many good looks at the baby!!

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page