Fit Mamas: Share your pre-natal workout - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Thought it would be fun to get some inspiration from others on what your doing to stay in shape during this pregnancy...

Before I became pregnant, I was running 3 miles 3 times a week and doing yoga twice a week. Now, running is not comfortable for me (just feels to jarring or something and I think it gets my heartrate up a bit too high). I found a great pre-natal workout video that I'm alternating with walking 3 miles,3 times a week and I'm still doing my yoga twice weekly (pre-natal version now, though).
Mornings before work are my favorite times to work out...Its a great start to my day. Motivation was a problem in my first trimester but now I'm starting to get some energy back.

How about you guys?
-What activities/sports are you enjoying? (How) has this changed from before you were pregnant?
-What time of day do you work out and why?
-How's your motivation?

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 8 Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 PM

How about you guys? I hate to say this but before I got pregnant I was not working out.

-What activities/sports are you enjoying? (How) has this changed from before you were pregnant?

Now I am trying to do Prenatal Yoga at least twice a week, kegals daily, varies light exercise daily, and walking as much as possible.

-What time of day do you work out and why? Pretty much the afternoon when my son naps, or whenever I can find the time.

-How's your motivation? I feel motivated but I have no energy at all. I really have to push myself to start but once I do I find its not that bad. I am trying to do better but so far not doing that great with it.
#3 of 8 Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjillbolyer View Post

-How's your motivation? I feel motivated but I have no energy at all. I really have to push myself to start but once I do I find its not that bad. I am trying to do better but so far not doing that great with it.
I'm the same way. I'll feel like I have no energy but if I "make" myself work out, its not so bad once I do it. And, in the end, it helps me have more energy overall. And kegels...I definately need to be doing more of those. Good call!

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM

Before conceiving I went to the gym 4-5 times a week and that normally included high-intensity cardio and weight training. Generally, I would take a step aerobics class or weightlifting class, or sometimes even both consecutively.

Once I conceived, I was sooooo nauseous and tired that I could only drag myself there once a week or so.
I also had severe migraines for several weeks and was advised by my care providers not to engage in intense exercise at that time.

So, now that things are just starting to get under control I'm getting back at it. I still enjoy high-impact activities like step aerobics, and will lower the impact once I feel uncomfortable. It's also just turning spring here (snow still in the forecast this weekend) so I'll be spending more time outside and active soon. I have signed up for a prenatal aerobics class that starts next week and runs for 8 weeks.

4 kids under 10
#5 of 8 Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM

That reminds me this summer I am planning to swim a lot and try to stay very active!
#6 of 8 Old 04-11-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard that swimming is great for us preggo ladies...I've never really been much of a swimmer but maybe I should look into it for those hot summer months we have ahead of us!

#7 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 AM

I've been doing about the same as pre-pregnancy, which is walking about 2 miles 4-5 days a week. I take DS in the jogger and oldest DS often rides along on his bike. Sometimes I am greatly lacking motivation though. I hoping the wonderful warm weather that is coming will keep me moving.
#8 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 AM

I walk with my DS every day. I also recently joined a gym. I live in a warm climate, so I know I won't be able to exercise outside soon- too hot! I didn't do much of anything my first trimester (too sick), but feeling better now. I enjoy the 45 minutes to myself while my 3 year old LOVES playing in the childcare. I am trying to get to the gym 3 days a week. I also plan to start prenatal yoga soon.

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page