Pillow Talk... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Ladies.

I don't know about you but the uncomfortable sleeping has begun!
Because of my lower back issues, I always sleep with a pillow in between my knees. I can't sleep without it! A few weeks ago, I changed that pillow from a regular size pillow to a king size pillow for more leg support. Lately, I've been able to tuck a bit of it under my belly, which seemed to help the issue of sleeping mainly on my left side. However the past few nights have been a bit rough in that I just can't get comfortable. (my hips are killing me) The only blessing seems to be I can stand to sleep for a little while on my right side but the turning over from one side to another, O my! the grunting!:

I'm wondering how everyone else is coping with their sleep. Do you use a bunch of pillows? How do you use them? Do you have a body pillow? If so, does it work for you, why and which one do you have? Can you still sleep on your back? Are you favoring one side or the other?
Pull up a chair and some pregnancy tea! It's time for some Pillow Talk!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#2 of 12 Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Love your thread title :-) I must be odd as I haven't added any extra pillows yet. I usually sleep on my side or back and I even sleep on my stomach sometimes. I do try and sleep on my left side as I've read that is the best position for blood flow and for helping baby get into a favorable birth position. No idea if it really works but I figure the stomach sleeping has to end soon. I know it triggers my leg cramps so I try to avoid it.
#3 of 12 Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 PM

i was sleeping with one of those microbead pillows between my legs or propped under one knee if i was sleeping in the jackknife position.
then, last week, i had to make the transition as my lower back was killing me (i'm thinking the extra bb weight with the anterior placenta is bringing this on early). i broke out the snoogle.

i totally heart the snoogle. on the other hand, if you don't have at least a queen size bed, it'll probably be a little too bulky. it's nice because i can sleep on either side and the ends wrap up around me so that i don't have to keep moving the pillow. i just keep it on the outside of my side of the bed so that i can sleep completely supported on my left side or semi-supported on my right side which keeps me from sleeping on that side for too long.

plus it's easily coiled for reading in bed, cuddling on the couch, and breastfeeding (no experience with the breastfeeding bit yet though!)

anyway, that's my solution. but i'm right in your boat. i've been having major trouble sleeping for more than a few hours at a time.

strange too, i've been having weird childhood fears creep back in... people sneaking in windows late in the night and such. hormones are crazy!

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#4 of 12 Old 05-11-2007, 02:05 PM

I sleep with a formed pillow for my head and a flat pillow between my knees. My main problem is pregnancy rhinitis (too much snot) and I wake up suffocating. I also have been going to bed super early because I fall asleep while putting my toddler to bed and then wake up at 3 am wide awake. Last night I just got up and did some stuff. I have been having a hard time sleeping since the very beginning. it comes and goes but for the most part I am exhausted all the time and then not really sleeping well. UGh! I really hope this baby likes to sleep and isn't like my toddler. Well he sleeps now but didn't for 20 months. So with him sleeping and a sleepy baby I could actually get some zzzz's. Some say that I'm a dreamer but I am not the only one!
Wendi
#5 of 12 Old 05-11-2007, 11:39 PM

i'm a total left side only sleeper when i am not preggo....with one of those concave pillow things btwn my knees...soundly sleeping on my left...

when i am preggo however, my right side is the most comfy and of course, that's the side you aren't supposed to sleep on all night.....so i am not sleeping well...not falling into deep sleep i think bc i am too conscious of which side i am sleeping on..when i finally do fall asleep i wake up in the am on my right side.....ugh....and then my right side and hip hurt all day as i walk around in my non sleep haze.....

i have a snoogle i used in the last few weeks of pregnancy with dd that was greaet for back support but the snoogle, myself, dd and dh do not fit in the bed together.....can't kick dd out....LMAO.....

this baby is laying ALOT lower than dd did too so i think that's part of my issue.....

i can still lay on my back but only if i am turned slightly to one side or the other with a leg bent up (foot flat on bed..) so not for long..usually if i wanna read....

i am def favoring my right side.....trying not too.....

just want some sleep....doesn't help that dd thinks that going to bed before 11pm is for the birds no matter what i do....how can she sleep from 11pm to 730am and then go all day, all day and all night with no nap???? she isn't overstimulated...just go go go go...
#6 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Ladies.
The snoogle looks comfy but DH (who's 6'6'') fights a bit with the pillows I'm using now. We'll see what happens as I get bigger (which seems is happening everyday!)

The past few nights, I start on my side and wake up on my back. I guess that's ok for now but won't be soon. My left hip/lower back is for sure sore. It seems after a couple of nights of not sleeping well, I sleep like a rock on the 3rd night...my body just shuts down.

If you have any more tricks, let us know!

#7 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkihoi View Post
Thanks for the reply Ladies.
The snoogle looks comfy but DH (who's 6'6'') fights a bit with the pillows I'm using now. We'll see what happens as I get bigger (which seems is happening everyday!)
you know, i thought the snoogle would be a bit too big for our bed as well, and it turns out that it's big enough for dh to steal a bit of it too! i sleep with it on the outside, and my head on the corner of the curled bit. dh comes right up behind me and sleeps on the very end of the curled bit. snuggling and snoogling!

then again, dh certain is not 6'6"!!!! he's only 5'8"... little different!!!!!

i hope your sleep gets sounder!

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#8 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM

I was having a horrible time sleeping until I got one of these pillows from Bean Products.
What a relief! I LOVE this pillow! I sleep like a rock now. In fact I am so comfortable I barely move all night. I also sleep with a pillow between my legs so that my pelvis stays in proper position.
At first my DH was like, "oh great am I on the sofa now?" But actually it's even better for him too. He was worried about bumping my belly so he would try to avoid me. Now he snuggles up next to the pillow too and we are sleeping closer now.
This is a really great item.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#9 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanbh View Post
snuggling and snoogling!
Cute!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
At first my DH was like, "oh great am I on the sofa now?"

Hey Laura, that pillow might work for me (us...all of us). And it's a decent price. Thanks for the tip!

#10 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Now that looks comfy!!!!!!!
#11 of 12 Old 05-16-2007, 01:31 AM

I am also a fan of the snoogle. I just got one for mother's day (along with a preg massage and a big bouquet of flowers!) It is just right for my needs and now I am not fighting the 3-4 rectangluar pillows that I used to use. I am out of state right now, but I know hubby will be snoogling with me in no time!
#12 of 12 Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, my Bean pillow came a couple of days ago. I was so excited! I've slept with it for the past two nights. Ur, I'm not sure it working though.

I'm curious, k9sarchik, when you're lying on your side, are you tucking the pillow way under your belly? Part of belly is on the mattress and the top leaning on the pillow. But it's not doing much for my hips...they are a little better, I think. So hard to tell since everyday is physically different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page