Side sleeping: My ear falls asleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few weeks ago I started noticing that every 2-3 hours when I wake up to visit the bathroom (darn), my ear and side of face feel totally achey. It feels asleep (like when your leg or foot falls asleep). Anyone else have this? I've been trying to wedge a small pillow under one side of my back to keep myself at less of an angle, but alas, no luck. Just wondering if it's one of those strange things that's only happening to me? And, anyone have any suggestions for it. I believe it's happened to me while not pregnant, but not every few hours...more like once in a blue moon. --Curious

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

#2 of 10 Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

I have the same thing! I wake up and my ear is painful and 'asleep' feeling. The only thing I've had any luck with is to lay on the opposite side for a bit...

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-12-2007, 12:48 PM

YES! This is happening to me too. Frustrating! I just flip over to the other side... I even use a temperpedic pillow!

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#4 of 10 Old 07-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Oh yes. It feels like I'm sleeping with my ear folded or something, it's very uncomfortable but I can't figure out any way to fix it. My shoulders are getting tired of always being crushed too. Oh well, not too m uch longer now and it will all be worth it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

THanks! Good to have company if nothing else.

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

#6 of 10 Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM

This is so weird! The same thing is happening to me. I keep thinking I'm sleeping on my ear folded. This has never happened to me ever before this pregnancy.

mama to DS1 10/04 and DS2 9/07 and brand new DS3 5/29!
#7 of 10 Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Change your pillow(s). I can't tell you which pillows are best or worst, but I have just spent the past 2 weeks sleeping in different places - 3 different hotels, my aunt's house...and sometimes my ear fell asleep and sometimes it didn't. I totally think it's the pillows. Luckily, my pillows at home work fairly well. But the ones in the hotel last night....I used DH's butt to wedge up my belly, the pillows were that bad!!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 10 Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 PM

I have been experiencing this for over a month.
I too thought it was the way I was sleeping. But after I saw someone in the Oct.board complaining of this I realised it was pregnancy related.
I've never had this before-despite being a side sleeper my whole life.
Didn't have it with DD either.

My guessis that ithas something to do with blood being diverted from extremities to the baby.
Off to google.
#9 of 10 Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM

Wow. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My bottom arm also has been hurting/faling asleep very regularily. Hmmm...and you're right, it has been happening more since DH and I switched sides of the bed...I think I'm going to take my pillow back tonight and see if it helps! Thanks!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#10 of 10 Old 07-16-2007, 02:52 PM

This is so strange...I thought that I was the only one! I wake up in the middle of the night and my ear is killing me. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page