feels like a bruised rib - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'm getting close to calling my midwife. I've been having an ache in my rib that isn't severe but has been persistent, perhaps about two weeks now. It's just below my right breast (so it's no where this baby can kick- I don't think so anyhow). It feels similar to the bruised pelvic bone feeling that has come and gone during this pregnancy.

I guess it could be a strained muscle for the extra weight, but it's nothing but bone and skin there. There is no visible bruise, nor any other mark.

It's significantly more 'painful' when I try to sleep on my right side, but you mamas know you have to switch it up a little.

Anyone ever heard of this? It's such a strange symptom. Again, it's not devastatingly painful just irritating and persistent. I've had no falls, no accidents than I can think of. I am a figure model so it could be some sort of muscle strain, but I feel no muscle, it's really a part of the body that feels like rib and skin only.

I never post about symptoms or complaints but this one has me confused. It doesn't seem important enough to call my midwife about but as long as it's persisted it's seeming strange to me... WWYD?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#2 of 13 Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Hi, I'm from the Oct DDC (but due late Sept, early Oct). Around Memorial Day, I started to have the same sort of pain - just below my right breast, on/under my ribcage. Wearing underwires hurt A LOT. I had it for a week, then googled "rib pain pregnancy." Don't do that - or you'll freak out, like me. In a matter of an hour, I had myself convinced that I had a very early sign of pre-eclampsia. (I am at a slightly higher risk for pre-e, because of my lupus, so it was on my radar screen.). By the end of the day, I was in my OB's office, getting a doppler for the heartbeat and asking for liver enzymes to be drawn. They also checked my gall bladder. Everything came back normal. The nurse said to take Maalox, because it was probably acid reflux. This didn't sound right to me, but I took Maalox, alternating with liquid calcium-magnesium, which I had read was a more "natural" form of a liquid antacid. No change in symptoms -- still hurt, and seemed to be aggrevated by sitting (at my desk, in the car).

After 3 weeks of the liquid antacid (not doing any good), another nurse said that I should be using Pepcid, as that "turns off" the acid pumps. (Her words, not mine.) I took this for another 3 weeks. Not a LOT of change, but perhaps SOME relief.

Then, OB felt it (VERY tender when you brush it with your fingers or rub, like rubbing lotion in). He said that perhaps it was costochondritis, brought on by pregnancy. Not much you can do about that, except take anti-inflammatories, which I am unwilling to do on a regular basis. We decided it was a combination of costochondritis AND acid reflux (yes, the stomach gets pushed up and empties the acid into the lower esophogus). I am taking generic zantac(? - no longer pepcid) when I remember. It seems to be leveling out in terms of the regular pain, but it still hurts when I touch it.

It doesn't hurt AT ALL when I go swimming. Go figure.

That was a long dissertation to say, "I feel your pain" and "There doesn't seem to be a good answer."

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 13 Old 07-28-2007, 10:04 AM

Aw, Vera! I'm sorry! No advice, just hugs your way . . . go ahead and call your MW. Can't hurt, and she might have some ideas on what it could be or what might bring some relief!

s

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#4 of 13 Old 07-28-2007, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ASusan- I kind of have a mystery due date but I think we're pretty close there too . I'm glad I'm not alone, and I promise I won't google it (why I thought I'd ask here). It's interesting yours is in the same exact location. I can feel my crunched guts (didn't know it was stomach) but it feels like the ribs themselves.

I guess I'll just go ahead and call. It can't hurt, it just seems so minor in a way.

Hi Megan (waving) missed you at LLL yesterday. Perhaps next time.

#5 of 13 Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM

My ribs ache so bad as well right now! When I was pregnant with ds I was completely convinced that I had fractured a rib b/c they hurt so bad. My ob told me that it is completely normal. I would suggest as well to call your midwife to get her opinion.

Good luck! So sorry you are going through this as well! (hugs)

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#6 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 AM

So sorry you're not feeling well. I would definitely call your MW just to be on the safe side.

While I was in the hospital, I too started having pain in my ribs under my right breast. Luckily (sort of), I had experienced the same pain before I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, so even though it felt like I had cracked or bruised a rib or two, I suspected it might be acid reflux or something in my GI track. They immediately put me on Pepcid and that made a HUGE difference. I would still get the pain from time to time, but a few Tums would usually do the trick. I am off the Pepcid now and haven't really had the pain since.

Hope that helps!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#7 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

how strange that so many have had it... I'm still trying to figure out how stomach acid could seem like a cracked bruised rib???

It was certainly better today... unless things feel worse I'm going to try to hold off until the next appointment.

thanks for the response ladies!

#8 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 04:03 PM

My right ribs have been killing me for a couple of weeks now. At my last appointment, the midwife said the the babe's butt was wedged right there up against my ribcage. Everytime, he stretches or tried to move, he knocks into the bone. She said the soreness was normal and not to worry.
#9 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, what a relief. Yesterday was fine and then today= OUCH!

I guess I'll refrain from the extra call but go ahead and mention it at the next appointment.

Now, do I have pregnancy amnesia or what- I do not remember this much discomfort last time, and certainly not sore ribs!

#10 of 13 Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Chaulk me up as another sufferer. My "cracked rib" pain (which is, yes, just under my right breast and wraps around to my back) started at about 28 weeks, and gets worse every day.

It used to hurt only when I'd sit for too long. Then that period of being able to sit got shorter ... and shorter ... I'm down to just a couple minutes now. And just the past couple weeks I realize it now hurts when I sleep, when I have to pee, sometimes when I walk ...

My healthcare professional said it's just because there's no room for everything in my smallish abdomen. Basically just over-squished in there. I know a mama who is teeny tiny - think 5'2" < 100 lbs - and her rib pain started at 20 weeks. She just has absolutely no room in her abdomen for this growing babe!
#11 of 13 Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

so I *finally* got in touch w/ my MW who thinks the rib is likely bruised from the inside. she suggested arnica and encouraging the baby to move when so much pressure is put there that it causes pain with laughing etc. so I've been giving baby a little nudge when it's a really bad OUCH and sure enough I'll instantly get a punch to my lower abdomen or a shove on my bladder...

I'm guessing this is a looooooong baby... we'll see.

I'll do some arinca before bed tonight and see if it helps. Good luck everyone with you stubborn rub rubbers.

#12 of 13 Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Vera have you tried "icing" the babe to get him to move? Basically you put a cold pack (or a pack of frozen veggies) on the body part you want the babe to move away from. I've done this on my ribs a few times because I can't manually push him away (stubborn babe, will NOT move). Sadly the ice thing doesn't really make my guy move either (I think he may just be out of room) but I have friends who swear it works like a charm. Even if your babe refuses to budge, icing the area does make it feel better - a little cold therapy.

Oh! I have also heard other people say you can try to shine a flashlight on the baby (apparently babes run away from the light). I haven't tried that yet.
#13 of 13 Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

interesting! Thanks Emily. I might try icing it, that does sound like it would feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Vera have you tried "icing" the babe to get him to move? Basically you put a cold pack (or a pack of frozen veggies) on the body part you want the babe to move away from. I've done this on my ribs a few times because I can't manually push him away (stubborn babe, will NOT move). Sadly the ice thing doesn't really make mine guy move either (I think he may just be out of room) but I have friends who swear it works like a charm. The room thing is that icing the area does make it feel better even if the babe is still right there.

Oh! I have also heard other people say you can try to shine a flashlight on the baby (apparently babes run away from the light). I haven't tried that yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page