Which tests to opt in for, or out?? Where do you stand? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-18-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been given the standard list of newborn tests and need to decide which I am opting in for, and which I will decline. Some of them I know for sure what I will do, others I am on the fence. I'd love to hear what everyone is doing and what you have learned about the tests.

Which you are opting in/out and why? What do you know of the test and the risks? And, which you will do alternative supplements for?

GBS?

Prophylactic eye ointment?

Hepatitis B Vaccine?

Vitamin K?

Newborn Heelstick for PKU?

Newborn Hearing Screen?

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#2 of 29 Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 PM

The only one we are doing is PKU etc. it just one heel stick but I know the dr test for other things besides just pku. IF we are in the hospital we will do the hearing screen. (last time we had to come back a couple days latter to redue it). The thing that makes me made about PKU is they want it after 24 hours, but before ??? hours and my milk is not yet in. I have heard that the test is not really accurate untill your milk comes in.
We are not doing the vit K because we do not plan to circumsise (not sure if i spelled that right) if it is a boy.
We don't vac so that would leave out hep B and eye gunk. I am not sure what teh GBS is.
#3 of 29 Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 PM

I'm going to allow the back-up OB to culture me for GBS.

We may do the PKU.

We won't do any of the other testing/procedures.

The only thing we allowed w/our dd's hospital birth was the hearing screen because we were bullied so much about everything and they acted like we were insane to refuse that one, since it's not "invasive"... but dd was so tired & they kept trying to wake her for it, spending almost an hour doing that. She missed out on sleep & the chance to nurse and the next thing you know they were trying to feed her formula! Even if they did find her to be deaf, what would they do about it? I don't see the point.
#4 of 29 Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 PM

I am still on the fence about the PKU but that would be the only thing I would do. If I suspected my baby to have a hearing problem I would get a test but otherwise no.
Wendi
#5 of 29 Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 PM

GBS? yes

Prophylactic eye ointment? no

Hepatitis B Vaccine? no

Vitamin K? no

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? not in hospital

Newborn Hearing Screen? yes
#6 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 AM

beemama,
they usually want the baby to be sleepy or sleeping during the hearing test, i'm not sure why they wanted to keep your DD awake??? all they are looking for are nerve reactions to different decibles of sound. the baby needs to be quiet and calm in order for it to work.

we will do the newborn hearing and the metabolic screen.

if you can get the PKU/ HMD done several days after birth chose that option. they have to have at least 24 hrs of colostrum or formula in their system inorder for the results to be accurate. if you can have it done at the first peds visit or by a home nurse or your midwife like 2-3 days after birth, or even a week later, that would be best!

whatever you do DO not let them do it before 24 hrs from the first time the baby nursed. they don't need milk, just colostrum, but if the baby is only 12 hrs old and they do it, or 22 hrs old. you're going to get inaccurate results and you might have to have it repeated.
#7 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 01:26 AM

Huh. That is odd. I was asleep through most of it, but dh said that she wasn't responding and the doctor kept trying to wake her...
Now dh is saying he doesn't remember what exactly happened.

It was still a strange test, tho... the only thing I remember was all of the things they had attached to her head. And what would they be able to do if they were able to detect a hearing problem? And she was only 3 or 4 hours old, it seemed so disruptive.
#8 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 02:22 AM

GBS? - yes, only because I was + with DD and we would like to know if I am a 'heavy' colonozer or not. IF it comes back + this time, I will be starting a routine and we will do it again to hopefully have a -. Only doing it because of just in case of transfer I would like a - in my file, and not having anything is as bad as a +, and I have other bigger things to deal with if we were transfering that I would rather have a - test result in my file.

Prophylactic eye ointment? - no, don't feel there is any reason.

Hepatitis B Vaccine? - no. Not doing any Vax's, wish that no one else was either. But this one in particular, I do not have it, baby is not getting any blood and will not be having sex for a long long time. Please, mama's research this before allowing your new baby to get it.

Vitamin K? - no. not circing.

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? - yes, but not right away.

Newborn Hearing Screen? - no, unless we think there is a problem. I just don't see the point.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#9 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 02:58 AM

Let's see.

GBS? Yes, because I was neg with last pregnancy and in case of transfer don't want to be assumed as positive.

Prophylactic eye ointment? No

Hepatitis B Vaccine? No

Vitamin K? Possibly

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? Yes, but not until baby is nursing well. We are in MA and they do one of the most thorough set of screens of any state out there.

Newborn Hearing Screen? Yes, if I can figure out how to have it done after a home birth.
#10 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 03:08 AM

GBS? yes, I was tested for this at 36 weeks.

Prophylactic eye ointment? We will be delaying this for 1 hour after birth

Hepatitis B Vaccine? We will be refusing this vaccine

Vitamin K? Oral vitamin K only (hospital provides this)

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? yes, our baby will have this done

Newborn Hearing Screen? yes, our baby will have this done also.

DS:11 DD:8 DS:3 DS:13 months
#11 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Just PKU. It's the only one I really see a point to getting. Not until my milk has come in, though.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#12 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
GBS? Nope, I didn't last time and am not this time as well, instead I'm trying to encourage healthy flora in my GI tract.

Prophylactic eye ointment? Nope, I don't have any chlymadia or gonorrhea, which are what the eye ointment would be protecting against.

Hepatitis B Vaccine? Nope, we don't vax, and I also don't have Hep B

Vitamin K? Not unless I have a traumatic birth. We will be leaving him intact(as he is meant to be!), and I take alfalfa to raise the vitamin K levels in my blood and breastmilk.

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? Yes. We found out about my 2nd son's hemoglobin trait with the newborn screen, so I feel it was very useful. I am going UC, so either I will have my old midwife come and do it at the house or will take the baby to the ped at a few days old(not likely!).

Newborn Hearing Screen? Probably not. I don't see any use to getting it done on a brand new baby, but if I feel that my infant may have hearing issues when he's a bit older, I will take him to get tested. It's free in Boston until age 3.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#13 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM

GBS: yes, I'm positive this time...gonna try to get retested though so this may change...if I come back neg.

Eye Oint: No, I dont have gon or the clap....it's used to protect against the eyes should babe come in contact with it during birth...

B Vaccine: No...not in the hospital...you have until 2mo to do it and we aren't fully sure we are going to do it

Vit K: Don't have an issue with this. We will decide when we get there...

PKU: Yes, but not right away

Hearing: Maybe
#14 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Hold on to your hats, mamas, this makes me sound quite traditional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra_lea View Post

GBS? yes, I am positive and wanted to know my status to research and decide on treatment options. (I opted to receive penicillin during labor.)

Prophylactic eye ointment? yes, for several reasons (not STDs), but hubby and I researched it quite a bit and feel that it is an appropriate precaution with my GBS status.

Hepatitis B Vaccine? No, we are delaying, and was thrilled to hear that our new family doc recommends delaying!

Vitamin K? yes, but delayed, and hopefully administered as baby is nursing.

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? Yes, but the hospital does not allow it to be taken before 24hrs of age, thus increasing accuracy. Knowing the devestating diseases it can detect, hubby and I feel that it is well worth the prick.

Newborn Hearing Screen? I am not sure how this is done at my hospital. Depending on that, we will likely allow it, but only with me or hubby accompaning her. Again, we feel that information gathered is worth potential consequences.
One thing we will not be doing is bilirubin heel pricks. Our hospital has a transdermal device for measuring bili levels and does not need to poke the baby for results.
#15 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Probably yes to GBS. Still thinking.

Probably yes to PKU. My midwife will do it at home on the 2nd or 3rd day.

Vitamin K -- my midwife instructs her clients to take liquid chlorophyll beginning at 37 weeks, so I'll maybe do that.

No to vaccines, at least for awhile.
#16 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 PM

GBS - no. I am not being tested this time around.

PKU - yes, a few days after birth, so the baby has at least gotten colostrum.

Vit K - no, unles there is serious birth trauma. We do not circumcise, and I will breastfeed. I feel that if ALL babies are born with low levels of Vit K then perhaps that is normal. It seems strange to call it a deficiency when it is something that occurs with all babies. Here is an interesting article about VIt K:
http://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol13No2/vitk.htm

Eye ointment - no, I do not have gonorrhea or any other STDs, and my vagina is not dirty, thank you very much!

No vaccines at all.

Hearing Screen - Maybe when the baby is older.
#17 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 05:39 PM

GBS? Nope, not being tested.

Prophylactic eye ointment? No. We might squirt a little milk in each eye if we think about it.

Hepatitis B Vaccine? Nope. Even if you do plan to give it, it's better to wait.

Vitamin K? Nope. My midwife carries oral vit k, but she says no one ever wants it and she doesn't blame them.

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? Yes, but not until after my milk comes in and the baby is nursing well. It's fairly pointless before that.

Newborn Hearing Screen? Probably at a ped visit.
#18 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM

GBS, depends on results
Vit K, nope, not being circ'd
Eye gunk - nope
Hep b -no vax's ever...........
Hearing - yes

PKU- yes

*******I also have to have some genetic testing done to make sure my babe doesn't carry my nephew's genetic disorder (disease is maternally passed, unsure if my sister's neg. diagnosis was accurate).. He will have extra bloodwork, that I've been told will happen with the heel prick.. Need to make arrangements, to hopefully do this at the ped's office.

**Hearing test is also essential as one of the symptoms of my nephew's disease (MPS; Hunter's Syndrome) affects hearing.
#19 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM

GBS? Yes

Prophylactic eye ointment? No, I'm allergic to the antibiotic they use, so I see no reason to expose MYSELF to it, much less my little one

Hepatitis B Vaccine? no

Vitamin K? no

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? yes

Newborn Hearing Screen? yes

Thanks for posting this! We're doing a hospital delivery, and although we have the same HMO as last time, they have switched where they do the deliveries, so I need to find out how much of a pain it will be to decline some of these. Last time it was no big deal.
#20 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM

GBS? Yes. Homebirth and want a - in my chart in case of transfer. Won't use antibiotics even if positive.

Eye gunk? NO

Hep B? NO

Vit K? Still not sure. Maybe oral.

PKU? Yes. Midwife does it at appropriate time.

Hearing? Yes. Found it to be totally non invasive and not a big deal. Can't think of a good reason not to do it.
#21 of 29 Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 PM

GBS? still undecided, mainly because if in the event of a transfer...I don't want to fight the hospital over this AND the one and ONLY time I ever tested pos for it (out of 6 births thus far) ,...they gave me over 4 freaking rounds of antibiotic in hospital it was ridiculous!! That is so not happening this time. I hate hospitals( and the staff usually hates me too...),sorry but I am a birth rebel hear me ROAR It was just uncalled for IMHO, and they strong arm you into the stupid antibiotics...I had massive heart issues for MONTHS after that birth and I have always thought it wasa reaction to the rounds of antibiotic...I could be wrong, but thats what it seemed like to me.

Prophylactic eye ointment? HA...no for the same reasons many of the moms stated,... I dont' have the 2 Std's it helps protect baby's eyes from

Hepatitis B Vaccine? no way, I have been told that this particular vaccine is given at one whopping minute old because they are afriad they will never see the kids agian before they hit the risking teen behaivor age and could posisbly contract it via sex, etc...so for that reason alone (doctors assurance and convieneice) there is no way, plus I alreayd have at least one autistic kid...so we stopped vaccinating years ago due to not really knowing causes as of yet.

Vitamin K? um, I am on the fence about this, if a traumatic birth, YES...but my last bay didn'tget it and he was fine, so...We'll see.

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? Again not sure...I border somewhere on thinking this test is hooey (for me and my kids) and thinking its essential,...but my kids almostalways have to have billisticks anyway because of jaundice so I will probably just go ahead and do it.

Newborn Hearing Screen? no, unless they offer to do it when I take baby in for their 2 week check up at ped's office.
#22 of 29 Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 AM

GBS?
yes, just because at my last appointment i'd totally forgotten it was that time and she was checking my cervix anyway

probably yes

Hepatitis B Vaccine?
oh.hell.NO. not under ANY circumstances

Vitamin K?
probably yes, dh feels pretty strongly about it

yep

Newborn Hearing Screen?
yep.

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#23 of 29 Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM

GBS?
yeah.

nope.

Hepatitis B Vaccine?
no.

Vitamin K?
we're on the fence about this. we consented to refuse, but we may change our minds.

yep, at the 3 day pp visit.

Newborn Hearing Screen?
eventually.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#24 of 29 Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM

We'll do most of them, but this time I've got rules about the PKU.

My son had his first PKU done in the NICU on discharge day. It was horrific. I was sweating and crying right along side of him because she took so darn long. When he had his followup done at the ped's office it was a breeze. They warmed his heel, I held him upright and it was over in a snap. He hardly fussed.

If I get my BC birth, I will just make sure the ped's office still does it that way. If he's in the hospital I will insist they do it that way or I will wait until he's discharged and take him to the ped.
#25 of 29 Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 PM

gizzyntaz - My midwife is using a new lancet (sp?) that she swears by. Says she always gets it done pretty quickly and on one try. Hoping this is true because our last experience in the lab was similar to your first and one of the circles didn't get filled completely even though ds was upright and heel heated. They hounded us to redo it but our ped said no way.
#26 of 29 Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 PM

GBS: will do the test, and if positive will only do the antibiotics if other high-risk symptoms appear (water breaking many hours before, fever, etc). In the meantime, I am trying to consume lots of garlic & Vit C- test will be next week

PKU: at 2-3 days, as our midwives usually do it

Vit K: yes

eye stuff: no, there is nothing to protect them from ;-)

No discussion of a hearing test from our midwives, so I am not concerned at finding out so early. We'll be doing baby-sign anyways.

And what relation does Vit K have with circ? We won't be circ-ing, but I just am not understanding the link a couple of you made.
#27 of 29 Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GBS? Yes, I will be doing this at my 37 week appointment on Tuesday.

Prophylactic eye ointment? Nope. I will be squirting some breast milk into my babies eyes about 1 hour after birth.

Hepatitis B Vaccine? Heck no! my baby will not be engaging in high risk behavior like unprotected sex or needle drug use

Vitamin K? Not unless I have a traumatic birth. We will not circ.

Newborn Heelstick for PKU? Yep. My midwife does this at 3 days post partum. I just feel that it’s just a blood test and could help save my baby a lot of trouble if some things were caught early.

Newborn Hearing Screen? Don’t know yet. If I do it will be around 1 month.
#28 of 29 Old 08-23-2007, 06:10 PM

Not in your DDC, but anyway...

GBS?
yes, just because at my last appointment i'd totally forgotten it was that time and she was checking my cervix anyway

No

Hepatitis B Vaccine?
I don't even think they administer that here in Ontario - but no

Vitamin K?
No, unless it becomes necessary at some point. We're not circ'ing if it's a boy, and I'm drinking alfalfa in with my RRL tea right now

Yes, as an almost RN I can see the upside to having this done; not until my milk comes in though

Newborn Hearing Screen?
Yes

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#29 of 29 Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 PM

GBS?
Yes, my midwife let me do the swab and it came back as - so it will be great to know in case of transfer.

No- no icky stuff to worry about.

Hepatitis B Vaccine?
Possibly at the 2 month visit. We vaxed dd and I'm on the fence about it now.

Vitamin K?
No. Planning on taking alfalfa supplement for the last three weeks and we are not circing. MichelleW- Vit K helps with blood clotting in a newborn. If there is any bruising or circ which would cause bleeding, vit k might be needed to control it.

Yes, after first week.

Newborn Hearing Screen?
Yes

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page