Yikes! My town is flooded! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We woke up this morning to a flooded town! This is after having THREE dreams last night that i was going into labor! It is waist high where my husband's office is, which is only a few blocks over from our house! Two of my in-laws homes have water and most of the town is with out power. The road out of town and to the hospital is flooded as well. The water is not going to crest/peak until sometime tomorrow.

I have a 9am appointment tomorrow scheduled at my doctor's office which is at the hospital for a non-stress test.... I am not sure I will make it. I am 38 weeks and high risk. I am bit stressed about this.

Not only am I worried about missing the non-stress test, but going into labor. I wasn't planning on having a home birth due to me being high risk. My in-laws have suggested that I contact the volenteer fire dept to let them know that I may go into labor.... yikes... not there is anything wrong with the volenteer fire dept... but I just wasn't expecting them to deliver me!YKWIM! I know nothing about home births.... boy do I wish I did just for some piece of mind!

So..... please send this little girl some 'hold off until the flood is gone' vibes!!! Never thought I'd be saying that!

Any other thoughts????

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#2 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM

First of all just try to relax.. easier said than done, right? :

If you cannot make it to your appointment tomorrow, could you at least talk to your doctor on the phone for reassurance and to reschedule?

It may not be a bad idea to have a plan for help if you do go into labor. Personally I'd be more afraid of trying to be rescued in flood conditions than having a home birth, but we all have our own comfort levels.

Does this happen often where you live? I hope they work on getting those water levels down fast. Hang in there mama!

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#3 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

HI Lauren82! Thank you for your message! You are right.... I do need to relax.

I am going to try and call the office again this afternoon. This morning the office had no power and my doctor is not in today. Honestly I was a bit upset by the way they brushed my questions off as no big deal....

I wouldn't mind a home birth... it would be wonderful.... I just do not know anything about them because of my high risk status I never looked into it. I wish I had!

Our area has never flooded like this. So things are pretty crazy around here. We are at a level 3 emergancy right now. I think that our home is safe from the water because we are a bit higher up.... it is just all the roads around us are really bad.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!!! I really appreciate them so much!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#4 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Oh that sucks! You may want to go over to the UC forum and check the resources sticky. There is a lot of good information there including a link the book Emergency Childbirth. I am sorry you are having to contemplate all this. If baby comes at home quickly the main thing is to keep baby warm, you don't even have to cut the cord right away (or at all). I hope that baby stays put until everything is how it should be.
Wendi
#5 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea lactivist!!! I am going to head over there right now!! Thank you so much!!

#6 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 05:34 PM

Just want to send (((hugs))) and say hang in there (and baby, too!!)... the water will go down and I'm sure you'll come away from this time in your life with lots of stories to tell your new LO... :-)))
#7 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM

How are you this evening? Are things any better?

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#8 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm sorry you have to deal with this! What a stressful situation. I hope your sweet little girlie stays put, at least for now.

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#9 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the hugs and kind words go4it & EricaE! I really appreciate it!! It has been such a crazy day. :

takebirthback ~ the water is not suppose to crest until tomorrow, but we are very hopeful that the level will not rise more and start to go down! Most of the roads are still closed in our area. However, my husband thinks that he has found a way around it and to the hospital for my appointment in the morning. I know that I will not sleep much tonight because of worry. However, finding a way to the hospital brings me lots peace of mind knowing that it may just take a bit longer.... but we will get there if our little one decides to come in the next couple of days.

I really appreciate all the support!!! I never would have expected this at the end of my pregnancy!

Have a great evening!

#10 of 19 Old 08-23-2007, 12:58 AM

to you

stay-in-there vibes to the little one

go down water!

I hope you are able to get to your appt tomorrow, and I hope you get some sleep tonite.

Mama to three  
#11 of 19 Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 AM

our town would kill for a flooding right now. we've been under mandatory water restrictions since july! blah.

are you being affected by the water? is there a hotel close to the hospital? could you move there for a little while? i know that's what i would do if our town started to flood. we're in a valley, but the hospital's town is not. so, i'd head over there and stay in a hotel until our town deflooded

i hope that it doesn't last very long and that you are able to get your appts done.

hugs!!!!
#12 of 19 Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Just hoping you made it to your appointment today (or will make it) and that everything starts to calm down a bit for you!

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#13 of 19 Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies so very much! It has been an extremely long day.... our town is completely under water. It got much worse today.... we made the national news tonight!

I did make it to the appointment, but we did have to go through water and it took us two hours instead of 30 mins. Plus.... it was a pretty scary drive.

I really feel for those that have water in their homes. We are one of the lucky ones because we don't. My husband's family business where he works is ruined... all under water... :

Thanks again!!!

#14 of 19 Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM

is there a hotel near the hospital? could you guys hang out there for awhile?
#15 of 19 Old 08-24-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi danaalex yes... we have been looking in that area for one. Great idea! My dh and I went for a long car ride today to find a water-free route to the hospital... WE HAVE ONE!! Just as long as it does not rain.... we are good!

#16 of 19 Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM

are you in the midwest? i read about all of the insane flooding last night.

i am so sorry you guys are having to deal with this right now!
#17 of 19 Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am ..... we have all the big time news stations here and lots of helicopters flying over top. The town... well really I live in a village because our population is so small.... things are just crazy, 400 families had to leave their homes, businesses destroyed, most roads are water covered.... I have never experienced anything like it! People are boating down our main st/down town area.... just so sad! That is were my husband's family's business is... down town... we are SO nervous to see it once the water has gone down. No one can still get to that area without a boat.

#18 of 19 Old 08-25-2007, 02:22 AM

Rachel I've been thinking of you!!! I came on mdc to see if you are still pregnant and if you guys made it through the flood ok. I heard waters are going down where you live today, but it's been raining tonight.

Are you giving birth in your town or in another town?

Hang in there and try not to worry!

Wife (4/24/04) to Curt, Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver :
#19 of 19 Old 08-25-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

HI Murph123345!! How are you???? I was thinking of you too! Yikes... your down town looked aweful as well the other day! Yes... it rained a lot last night and I think that we are suppose to get more.... I am very nervous! The water here has still not gone done much.

I am going to pm you right now....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page