"The Other Side" - Moms Who Have Delivered - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 214 Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
things here are good. we had our 2 week appts. babe is up to her birth weight. and all is well with me. my bp after delivery was LOW LOW LOW, like 80s/ 40s the entire time i was in the hospital. today it was still on the low side, but 104/47 i think. the MW said something about it being strange. hmm...

babe is sleeping a lot and eatting a lot, so i get to sleep a lot too big sisters are doing great with everything. this is the first baby i have had that actually LIKES the car which is very very very nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 214 Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 PM

Breastfed baby breath, Andrew claims he can't smell it but I love it. Mighty-mama, don't you just love those toothless smiles? Liam usually gives us a few big smiles after he eats and is falling asleep. One of my friends was picking on me for liking them, they're precious regardless of whether they're voluntary or not.

We got some pretty bad news from the Army yesterday. The least complicated way I can explain it is cadets put in a packet where they rank different branches and duty stations in the Army, and based on a number of different criteria, such as college GPA, and well as their rankings, their branch and duty station are selected. We had expected all along that Andrew would be selected as active duty, but the Army has decided to take 500 cadets and push them all into the reserves, Andrew being one of them. Since we haven't prepared for this, we have no idea what Andrew is going to do after graduation as far as a job. If he is unable to find a full time reserves position as an LT, he can either beg for a unit to take him as active duty and start from the bottom up, or we have to try and find a reserves unit for his one weekend a month and then try and get him a job with his degree. As you can imagine this is pretty stressful since we'll have college loans and car payments and everything else to take care of starting in December.

I'm trying to stay really positive about this but he's been a mess, he feels like he let us down and he's worried about being able to provide. We're keeping it quiet for now from his family because that will add more stress, I know his mom will take an "I told you so" mentality. On monday we'll have more information as far as what our options are, so I'm hoping to hear something positive. Any positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#93 of 214 Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 AM

KatieJJ334- s Keeping you in my thoughts.
my dh was hoping this contract job he's doing would turn into something full time but was told this week his out date Nov. 1st. So I know how you guys feel.

Ladies, thanks for the responses and ideas.

The colicky behavior got worse earlier this week and Marshall became anxious at the breast. Long story short, I went to see a lactation consultant and we found Marsh had only gained an ounce in a week and had a weak suck (i think this partially b/c he was exhausted and hungry!) So now I have him using a Haberman bottle that is suppose to teach him how to suck better, pumping my milk to put in the bottle and topping with formula if I don't pump a certain amount a feeding. I'm still putting him to the breast too. It's been a pretty emotional and draining week. I'm so afraid of all the things that could go wrong with the breast feeding from here but the LC said in all her years, Moms have gone back to exclusively bfing. The important thing is that Marshall gains weight. The good news is that he did gain 3 ounces in 2 days! An ounce shy of 6lbs. He'll be 7 weeks tomorrow and he's not even 6lbs. yet!:

Anyone have any experience with the Haberman or the weak suck issue?

Cute Gavin photos Mighty Mama!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#94 of 214 Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Hi all! Dahlia is 16 days today (wow!) and we are doing pretty well. She still isn't back to birth weight but on her way. She is nursing really well and is just so cute. When she is awake she is super alert and has been giving us all some smiles and looks at whoever is talking to her. My dh finally hit the wall and is just exhausted. He needs a vacation. He has been doing everything for way too long. I am trying to get back in the swing of things but every time I start doing a bunch of stuff I start bleeding again so am trying to balance taking care of myself and taking care of everyone else. Eavan continues to be his normal relentless self and he is wearing us all down.
I am on board with loving breastmilk breath. I sit and smell her and kiss her all day long. I love rubbing her head. She has the cutest baby chimp hair.
Katie sorry to hear about the unexpected turn of events with your dh's job. I hope that it all falls into place for you.
Nikki I think the Haberman is a great tool for the exact situation you are in. You can adjust the flow so as to start making it harder for him over time to give him a work out and help his suck. I agree with your LC that you can definitely get him back to breast especially using the Haberman. I think you will find that once he is getting plenty of food he gets much stronger and his suck improves and breastfeeding will be much easier. Your situation also might be one where a nipple shield is appropriate. They tend to work really well for premies with a weak suck because they can use all their energy for sucking rather than keeping the nipple in their mouth. I think you are doing the right thing and that with some weight gain and patience breastfeeding will come back around. Make sure to spend plenty of time with him skin to skin on your breasts/chest (even without nursing) so that he can help stimulate your milk supply and keep him enjoying his time at the breast. It should be a place of comfort and safety not frustration. You are doing a fantastic job. Be gentle with yourself. Breastfeeding issues are never easy and they can really take us to dark emotional places. I hope you have plenty of support around you. I am here to listen anytime.
Wendi
#95 of 214 Old 09-23-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
Nikki I think the Haberman is a great tool for the exact situation you are in. You can adjust the flow so as to start making it harder for him over time to give him a work out and help his suck. I agree with your LC that you can definitely get him back to breast especially using the Haberman. I think you will find that once he is getting plenty of food he gets much stronger and his suck improves and breastfeeding will be much easier. Your situation also might be one where a nipple shield is appropriate. They tend to work really well for premies with a weak suck because they can use all their energy for sucking rather than keeping the nipple in their mouth. I think you are doing the right thing and that with some weight gain and patience breastfeeding will come back around. Make sure to spend plenty of time with him skin to skin on your breasts/chest (even without nursing) so that he can help stimulate your milk supply and keep him enjoying his time at the breast. It should be a place of comfort and safety not frustration. You are doing a fantastic job. Be gentle with yourself. Breastfeeding issues are never easy and they can really take us to dark emotional places. I hope you have plenty of support around you. I am here to listen anytime.
Wendi
Thank you so much Wendi! It's so good to have some reassurance from someone who is familiar with the Haberman.
After few days, I can tell a bit of a difference when he's nursing already! And a bit of change in temperament.
I have been doing skin to skin as much as possible and wearing him, if I'm not pumping. It's hard to keep on the "schedule". It looks good and doable on paper but when I'm alone with a high needs babe that won't go down, unless in deep sleep, which makes it hard to pump...etc., etc.
DH has been very supportive and has had to step up his night time participation so I can pump.
OH, the littlle man is stirring. gotta run. Thanks again. I needed those hugs!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#96 of 214 Old 09-23-2007, 02:26 AM

Things are ok here....

My butt is sore and kinda numb (wish i could epidural it....) from all the sitting crosslegged on the sofa nursing through this growth spurt (holy almost a month old batman)...man oh man.....She's a really efficient nurser so the sessions aren't longer than 10-15 minutes but geez......I finish, she sleeps for a few and then is starving again......And I find it kinda amusing bc I just posted the other day in breastfeeding about how I HAVE to wake her to feed her and how she sleeps all the time......btwn the growth spurt and clustering.....my butt is worn out.....it's numb and tingly now......

I have gotten wide ol smiles and she has 2 dimples that are all her own....nobody in our family has them on either side that anyone can remember.....and I SWEAR, SERIOUSLY, she laughed the other day.......

Still thinking about a way to bottle the breath....I told Dp about it and he thinks I'm gross..I told him I know ppl who would buy it.....LMAO...

DD1 fell asleep at 8pm today for the first time in her life......worn out from the pool I spose......

I know I still owe everyone my birth story and I had to go back and rewrite it....I will get it up here before our children are 1. I promise!!!!
#97 of 214 Old 09-23-2007, 12:35 PM

Evangeline is 6 days old today. shes is so small even tho she weighed 8lb 2oz. not had her weighed since so i dunno if she had gained or not. she is slightly jaundiced but just got to keep feeding her and she eats loads. my milks in now and it hurts when they fill up lol. i knerw it would it has with the others

this kid puzzles me. she rarely crys, is easy to settle she either wants fed changed or held. she will sit and just watch the world go by for ages quite content. DS2was exactly the opposite lol

she scared heck out of me last night. ewnt to bed at 10pm she was slightly fussy cos ithink she ate too much and was not used to "milk" as aposed to "colostrum" and had a tummy ache, i patted n rocked her to sleep but she waned to suck and fell asleep on boob. i woke a few times and she was flat out asleep and did not want to feed again at all till 5am!! so either she was super full or i fed her asleep and i cant remember!!!

went out today for 2nd time since she was born, i ended up in pain from going to fast!! im not ready to carry her yet i tried her in ring sling other day and ended up straining my tummy muscles and i tried again today and ended up in pain so i will have to hold off onb that till im a bit more recovered.

im tired cos i woke loads last night but otherwise things are ok. not looking forward to friday tho DH goes back to work n i will have to do school run alone with 4 kids for first time Eek

hope all mums n babes are doing well

kiz
#98 of 214 Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Just checking in. Dahlia finally made it back to her birth weight and beyond. She is 6lbs now. She is still so tiny but is starting to get Marlon Brando cheeks. She had a cranial sacral treatment yesterday and looks so much better after it. Her color is more even and her nose is less crooked. She has slept tons since the treatment (not that she wasn't sleeping tons already). Both my older kids are sick and we are trying to stop the spread. I can't believe she is almost three weeks already. Wow! We are starting to find our rhythm together but it is still rough going with Eavan. I hope everyone is doing well.
Wendi
#99 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 AM

Hi mamas!
Yann is one week old today. He sleeps a lot, nurses well and is very smiley and calm, exdept during diaper changes.
At 5 days old he was 20 grams above his birth weight. I'm not sure how many ounces that is. Maybe not even one...
I am still trying to process the birth. It didn't go at all like I had expected. I assumed the birth would be easy and gentle and the baby would just slide out. I was even hoping for a UC, but this birth was HARD and PAINFUL! I couldn't get on top of the contractions, couldn't find anything that helped for more than one or two contractions, mainly due to horrible hip pain. Then pushing was awful, whereas for the other 3 births it was a relief to be pushing. Of course, he did have a big head (but I didn't tear!), and it turns out he was all wrapped up in his cord, which was preventing him from descending.
In any case, my DH was absolutely WONDERFUL during the birth, as usual. He should be a doula
ANyway, I will write out the full story soon.
I'm certainly glad to be here "on the other side" but it is bittersweet knowing this is most likely the last time.
#100 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM

I think its growth spurt time or something because I got MAYBE 3 hours of sleep last night. Needless to say I'm exhausted but Liam is still wide awake and ready to go, don't babies need sleep too? Hopefully tonight will be a different story.

We got some okay news about the Army situation, still not entirely positive. Andrew was put in touch with someone at a post close to us and there is a possible full time LT position that would last 6 months to 1 year, and it would be in the branch Andrew wanted. The not so good part is that it doesn't include housing, and probably wouldn't include many benefits if any at all, like health insurance. So we would have to find a house closer to where he would be working. Now he just has to wait to hear back to see if the position is still available. He was also put in touch with some contacts who may also have information about open positions, so if this doesn't work out hopefully he can find another opportunity. My fingers and toes are crossed!

Anybody have new baby pictures? :

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#101 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Hi Mama's..

I'm really struggling at times, adjusting to two children... They both seem to like to cry and wake each other up, and many times I say "who needs me more this second".. It's really a balancing act.. It will get easier right? Sleep has been a struggle ( I have a post in family bed).. But I'm really stressed as dh has been working 14+hr days since Sun (his store has inventory).. So I'm losing it...

Katie, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. That is so frustrating to have someone else responsible for your entire life. I couldn't do it.. You guys are strong..

Otherwise, we're hanging in. I'd love to be on some sort of a routine, but everything is chaotic..

Here are the most recent pictures.. **Gavin in the cow sling.. I took them yesterday.. ( I love this sling, it was my sister's favorite, and I told my BIL that I would return it, so he can save it)

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ictures143.jpg
#102 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Hello! I keep hoping to get caught up before I post here but that's a joke!

Our little Ruby is getting so big!! 8.1 at birth, 7.10 at 4 days & 8.10 at 13 days. She is nursing nursing nursing all the time, the loves her nursies... she kind of sings to the boob when she's nursing, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm...maybe it's more of a hum but very musical.

She's so mellow, UNLESS you keep her from her nursies.. then she gets very upset.

I couldn't pass up the chance to show off some pics of my girls!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...5/100_8455.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...5/100_8297.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...5/100_8517.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...5/100_8370.jpg

DD loves her little sister but it has been very challenging. She gets very excited & forgets about safety aLOT...so we are always on our toes. She has always been very spirited but this has really kicked it up a notch, we've had quite a few days where we were just along for a wild ride of meltdown upon meltdown. It's so hard at times. We are trying to give her lots of extra attention... but she's still having a hard time. She knows the dynamic has changed . I'm really not looking forward to when dh goes back to work! How am I going to have enough for both of them?

Is anyone else taking their placenta? I've been taking 3 caps a day for a week, 2 caps a day before that... and I'm still having depression and moodiness. I'll keep taking it, just hope I start feeling a little more even soon.

Is anyone else tired of trying on clothes? I never know what's going to fit, my body is changing so much right now.
I'm also tired of being on stain patrol.. if it isn't lochia, or breastfed poop... it's dd's usual messiness... it seems like I'm always weilding a scrub brush & vinegar. ANYway.

Wishing us all plenty of rest & lots of sweet gurgles & coos. Be well, Kelly
#103 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Awwwww, Gavin is so cute!!!

Yikes, 14 hour days! Lots of peace & calm to you, mama! You ARE mighty!
#104 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Well, Georgie is 5 weeks old and a good 10 lbs. She almost NEVER lets me put her down, so I am doing a lot of one handed lurking and very little posting!

We survived our first Nurse-a-thon last week and I finally gave up and just stayed topless as we were nursing literally ever 10-15 minutes. She would fall asleep at the breast and then be awake and ready to nurse by the time I tried to lay her down!

She officially HATES the carseat/car and screams like a beastie in there.

We are going to a 0-3 group/class at our local Waldorf school and G is the youngest baby, but mama NEEDS some adult interaction! So far she thinks it is a great place to sleep, but I think she is still learning through osmosis.

Abby is starting preschool there 2 mornings a week at the Waldorf school also, so mama will get some baby snuggle/sleeping-in time!

My didymos wrap is already sooooo worth every penny (even though it was a gift!) G spends a ton of time in there and we were both sorry that I forgot it today at the grocery store. It is the only way that I can do laundry, cook, play with Abby, etc. (And for the record, I tried the baby bjorn yesterday for a walk and within 10 minutes it was digging into my shoulders. That won't see much airtime.)

Things we love:

Georgie's super-strong muscles. She has picked up, held up and turned her head since birth. She also will "stand" against me and push herself around. She can scoot all over the floor when I lay her on her tummy and gets out of the bouncy seat if she is not strapped in.

Georgie's "Angry Kitten Face" When she is really hungry she scrunches up her whole face as she is latching on and just makes me think of an angry kitten! It is sooooo cute, I keep meaning to get it on camera.

Georgie's sleepy smiles. She has smiled in her sleep since birth and sometimes will even move her chin like she is laughing! It is the cutest thing ever. We are now getting the random awake smiles that are darn cute too!

Georgie's "chin up naps." She will unlatch and pick her face up a bit, then bury her chin in my ample breast! This is her FAVORITE way to sleep and it bugs her that I can't just sit there all day and let her have booby naps.

Seeing my girls together! And the awesome love I feel when I nurse that floods me. That is new and amazing. Abby is adjusting so well and loves to help her baby sister.

and our pics are at: http://web.mac.com/gary.hecox/Georgi...e/Welcome.html
#105 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama View Post
Awwwww, Gavin is so cute!!!

Yikes, 14 hour days! Lots of peace & calm to you, mama! You ARE mighty!
Oh no, I'm not mighty... I've lost my freakin mind.. Gavin is killing me.. I am honestly hating nursing.. I only have the one side, and my body is sick and tired of being in that position all day.. He'll have a few periods were he sleeps for an hr or so, but otherwise, he's nursing about 30min, off for 20, and back on another 30...all day....... Are all newborn/infants like this, as my DS1 was the same.. I'm hoping to look back on this period in a few mths, laughing; right? I feel like at times it would be sooooo easy to formula feed, you can literally pass off the baby and walk away.. (if only it was healthy). Gavin is a treat, and much of a big faker.. He'll scream, i'll change him or pick him up or change positions and he's calm as a cucumber.. Gavin was 8lbs, two weeks ago, so I imagine he's got to be at least 8.5 or more, I really feel the heaviness, and his legs are getting chubby..

Great pictures beemama, Ruby has so much hair.. too cute..

Brillantmama, how do I see your pictures, I couldn't get past the home page?
#106 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM

mighty mama, s & commiseration!! Dd nurses like that, too... I know that having one boob really compounds it, tho!! I keep telling myself what a good job I'm doing, so I want to do the same for you & then some. You are doing a GREAT THING for your little boy! It would be much easier to pass the bottle, but you stick it out because it's the very best start he can get. I hope we do look back on this time & laugh!
#107 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 PM

I love all the pictures, everyone has such beautiful children!

Mighty-mama: I'm sorry nursing has been no fun, it still sucks for us as well. Every day seems to get a little better and I know it will improve more once I can heal the damage that was done early on. I just keep reminding myself that it will get better and eventually I can enjoy it.

Here are the results of our photo shoot today:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/Liams2.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/Liams4.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/Liams6.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wdads1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wdads2.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wdads3.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wdads4.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wmoms1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wmoms2.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...j34/wmoms3.jpg

#108 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mama View Post
Brillantmama, how do I see your pictures, I couldn't get past the home page?
Aw, crap, I am having major issues with my website.

try this link

http://web.mac.com/gary.hecox/Georgi...My_Albums.html
(may take a minute to load)

or this one

http://web.mac.com/gary.hecox/Georgi..._week_2-5.html

let me know if there is any success.

And I am beginning to feel like I should just weld my arse to my rocker, because all we do is nurse and rock, nurse and rock, burp, barf, nurse and rock.
#109 of 214 Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM

Hey all, Lila is up to 8lbs! (she was 6lb 7oz at hospital discharge) hooray for breastmilk! She's doing well, much more of a drama queen than my DS was but she's not impossible.

Mighty-Mama: I know how you're feeling, my DS just turned 3 and it's hard to adjust to getting used to having 2 children. My DH works 10 hour days. I can't get through my day without a serious latte:

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#110 of 214 Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 AM

Hello....

No birth story yet.....cant' seem to find the time to rewrite it...

Wasting the precious free time I have watching the Grey's Anatomy spinoff crap.......

Lilah is laying her zonked out next to me....all comfy on her belly...She hates being on her back and prefers belly, side and well, that's it..On her back you just get yelling....I figure, all our parents prolly let us sleep on our belly and sides and we are all still alive and I AM sitting right her next to her listening to her snore so....

Big sister is adjusting pretty well for the most part...She learned quick that while I am nursing her sister that she can pretty much do whatever she wants (well, she thinks she can) bc I can't get up and chase after her and she is totally 100% taking advantage of it...it's wearing me out that having an almost one month old?!?!?!

Dp needs to help out ALOT more than he is..I feel like a single parent alot of the time these days....but that's another post for another time....which I may not even post about bc it's same ol same ol as some of my other posts about it....

Her stepsister (or halfsister, depends on how technical you want to get) has yet to show ANY interest in her....Well, she showed a tad of it last week when MIL and SIL came by to visit (the FIRST time they had seen the baby since she was born and they live 15 minutes away) and she scooted up super close to SIL and looked at the baby (weirded me out the way she looked at her) and parroted what SIL said and SIL immediatly looked at her and passed the baby to her fiance next to her and later told me that it weired her out too and MIL mentioned it on the phone a few days later....So, I don't know....It's just eerie that there is NO interest at all....

Anyhoo......

Mighty: I hear ya on the adjusting to 2 kiddos....DD1 decides she only wants me when I am either busy nursing or on my way to the bathroom....She found a toad in her empty (and very dirty) pool today out back and wanted to keep him so she brought him a dish of water to play in so I had to explain the difference btwn froggies and toadies.....and then tried to explain why she couldn't keep him and that his mommy was prolly looking for him and such and was sad and I could see her heart sink about not wanting to set him free bc she loved him.....So, it's 10pm and he's still in the pool with a dish of water....I put one of her toys on the edge of the pool so he can go if he wishes....I kinda hope he stays just so I don't have to deal with the aftermath of the missing toad!!! She spent a good part of her day today looking, watching, bringing him leaves, flowers and ants to eat... Lilah has her 1 month visit tomorrow and i think she's just under 9lbs...gonna go look at your fam bed post...

KatieJJ: My 1st never seemed to need sleep....she stayed in quiet alert for what seemed like forever.....I was just happy bc she wasn't screaming...just wanted to be awake to observe and take everything in....She still doesn't seem to need sleep....No matter what routine we've tried to implement over the past few years...I ask the PED about it all the time and he tells me that some kids are just wired that way and don't seem to need the recommendd amt of sleep from the AAP until they start school and then they start sleeping...it's like a switch goes off....Said he has 1 kid who sleeps and 1 who doesn't....and gave me a hug bc he knows how hard it is when you have one that doesn't sleep.....No problems with that so far with this little girl....KNOCK ON WOOD...

Beemama: Love that I am not the only one who puts my baby in a pretty basket and LOVE the pigtails on big sister!!! I wish dd1's hair was thick enough to make pigtails like that....hoping it thickens up here soon as daddy and I have enough hair for 4 ppl....We have issues too with big sister safety....some days she gets it, some days she doesn't.....I am more patient than daddy!

Bridget: I have a strong baby who thought she could hold her head up an hour after birth...I can hold her all froggy on my chest facing me and she's all meercat like holding her head up and stretching her neck up to see more....she can kick herself around the floor and almost rolled from back to belly today....she needs to not be in such a hurry ya know??? I LIVE FOR her sleepy smiles and giggles (swear she laughed out loud the other day) and booby naps....I also LOVE that when she's done nursing, she'll smile, unlatch and then milk dribbles out.....

Nursing: It's not as enjoyable for me this time around...I think I totally expected it to be and am trying to be better about not comparing how it was with her sister but it's hard not to. We are having latch issues on the left side to a greater extent than we did with big sister but it's not hurting.....she just REALLY prefers the right....but will settle for the left, unchocolate side... I think part of it is I can't find my nursing pillows amongst the boxes so I am making do with pillows which makes it not so comfy but she doesn't nurse long. Does anyone else have a babe who is done in 10-13 minutes flat and doesn't take the second side ever???? DD1 took the second side here and there but not all the time.....Gonna ask about it tomorrow at the appt since the PED is pretty proBF....the really proBF one didn't have any appts...I just long to have a "chubby" BF baby likke so many I see and a few of my friends had......I just seem to make em long and lean.....Which is funny bc neither dp or I are long....

Ok, I think this got really long.....gonna wake Lilah or see if she will sleep nurse since it's been awhile....
#111 of 214 Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM

i'm glad i'm not the only one feeling a bit worn out... KUDOS to all the amazing mamas on this board doing such amazing things.

this is my first go at motherhood and I am so freakin emotional right now it's not even amusing. These pp hormones (or lack thereof?) are for real. Dh called me "delicate" & "fragile" yesterday.

I feel like I'm cemented to the floor/bed b/c baby is nursing all the time (Hurray I'm not the only one!). THe other day I got totally modest and embarrassed nursing in front of Dh - he made a comment about me being a milk feeding machine and i suddenly felt like all my sexual desirability went out the window. NOT that I feel like having sex but a cuddle might be nice. Plus, uhm, I can tell by the length of his showers that well... you know...

I'm stressed because my week of self imposed maternity leave ends tomorrow and I'm supposed to be back in class at 8 am on monday for microbiology lab (where my waters broke!! hahah! I added to the biologicals!)

But, however, in any case, this precious little wiggly peach belly smelling gorgeous girl makes it worth it yesterday we went out in public and I had my first public bf experience. Lets just say for the time being, I'm glad I was swaddled in a moby and a bebe au lait, but we did it, and I'm happy we did.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#112 of 214 Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlogic View Post
My baby currently weighs 11lbs.
My DS1 was 11lbs at 4wks.. (and by the time he was 12wks, he was 18lbs)... He was such a chunk... Now he's off the chart for his height .. (dh is 6'3")

I weighed Gavin this am, he's 9lbs.. Gotta run, dh is home... Yeah.. He's off for the next two days... yeah... so I'll be here limited.

*****Brillantmama.. great pictures, she's so cute... I really love the one of her sleeping on your chest.. You are just glowing
#113 of 214 Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Felicia - I competely understand the hormones. I had terrible hormone issues when I was where you're at. Crying over EVERYTHING and I had really bad anxiety too. The day Lila turned 3 weeks old it was completely gone though. I hate that hormone drop! Give it some time and everything will even out I just read your birth story and it was wonderful, go mama!

#114 of 214 Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well you mamas all make me feel so much better!

I've been lurking a lot but not posting because I feel like the worst mom ever. I am really hating nursing and it seems like that is all Ezri wants to do when she is awake. She is 6-weeks now and I kept thinking that by now she would be more interative when she's awake but it seems like all we do is sleep (her, not me), wake up, change her diaper (while she is screaming), then nurse. I am very lucky that she will sleep for 2 or 3 hour stretches sometimes - thank god for that! The last day or so though, she's been up every hour to eat. I definitely have had a few 3am moments of thinking that I should just give her a bottle. I have some expressed BM in the freezer and a thing of formula from the NICU, but luckily I have held out. I know that it will get better in time but right now it is SO exhausting. Every night, when she is up screaming for the 3rd or 4th time, DH will ask "Is there anything I can do?" and all I can say is, "Figure out how to breastfeed!"

To top it all off, I feel so guilty for having these thoughts since I know how lucky we are that she is so healthy and growing so well. After losing her sister and having her in the NICU, I thought I would just cherish everything she did and be on cloud-nine all the time once she was here with us. Ugh.

On the bright side, she is growing and gaining weight - she has actually outgrown most of her preemie clothes! She is trying to stay awake more and more. Sometimes in her sleep, she will laugh out loud - makes me wonder what she's thinking about. She gives us lots of smiles - both awake and asleep - but not sure yet if they're a response to anything just yet. She's quite a snuggler and loves to be held up to our chests.

Thanks for reading through this! I do love checking in here and seeing how everyone else's little ones are progressing. I can't believe September is almost over!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#115 of 214 Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM

fridaxsky - that's what i told my dh when he asked if we could have "just one more" baby (i want to be done) i said, "figure out how YOU can breastfeed and we'll talk!"

#116 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 01:37 AM

fridaxsky:

I think BF is harder the second time around....esp from others posts on here too.....

The first time around, I had all the time in the world to sit and nurse....and I loved it soo much, loved that quiet time to just sit and look at her...

This time around, fantastic in the hospital.....once I got home, we had all sorts of issues and her big sister who has decided that no means yes, not right now, inside voice and not your outside voice near your sister's ear, just makes it more tiring for me......her sister decides that's when to act up bc she knows I can't get up and chase after her.....Im just more tired and the baby sleeps...ALL THE TIME....well, except when my butt is cemented to the chair or sofa during cluster hours....her sister thinks sleep is for the dogs now.....

I haven't started pumping to get a stash or anything yet but I too have had the 3am thoughts of I'm gonna pump and give her a bottle bc I'm so tired from chasing after her sister all day (NO, the frog cannot come inside. Please put him down....I chase her when the baby is sleeping) and there are times when I have reached for a pacifier that a friend gave me and while it's super cute we are just getting over latch issues on one side and I don't wanna mess with that just yet.... 6wks is a growth spurt.....it'll slow back down a bit......You can make it through. At least your DH asks if there is anything he can do...Mine went to bed tonight at 930pm bc....are you ready, sitting down? HE WAS TIRED.....I wanted to chase him upstairs but I was nursing the baby on the right breast and had her sister falling asleep, yet still chatting to me, on my left knee.....

Love the pics of your little one.....so peaceful and calm in so many of them....I think my fave is the one of her all in slumberland in the brown shirt....DD has the tomato sleeper but it's still too big for her little sister still.....beautiful little girl you have there...

Well, someone just woke up with hiccups....They are evil things, hiccups...she gets them ALL THE TIME and her whole body just goes.....and she's tootin on top of it...poor thing....I did give her 0.3ml of lemonade today and it got rid of her hiccups....: : I took a sip of my lemonade the other day and went to kiss her and had some on my lips I spose and she sucked in a lip (OW) and her hiccups went away....they say the solution to them is to give them sugar water so...hey, what's 0.3ml of lemonade....I just HATE how they wake her up!!!!

Oh, I have a pic similar to your poop one.....it happened at the ped office after weighing her..I picked her up and held her close bc she was nekkid and VOILA....all over me and the floor.....
#117 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Weigh in today was at 8lbs 14oz.....up 1lb 12oz from birth and still smaller than her big sister was at birth?!
#118 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM

We have definitely been doing the permaboob thing around here. Dahlia gained 8 ounces in 3 days and is 6lbs 8oz. (probably more now) Luckily she is sleeping well and only cries if a boob isn't in her mouth promptly enough. Eavan is still doing his thing. Sunshine I can so relate to being trapped nursing. Eavan takes that time to ask me for a million things or do a bunch of stuff he isn't supposed to like torturing the dog and jumping on the couch. Yesterday he slapped Dahlia in the forehead. He also loves to swing the Amby while she is sleeping in it. He is really testing us so much. He quit taking baths, wasn't eating, acting out etc etc. I really hope he settles down soon as it is wearing on my last nerve. Dahlia was 3 weeks yesterday. It goes by so fast. I am trying savor every moment as this is our last baby. One good thing is that Eavan has continued to nurse occasionally. For some reason that makes me feel much better. I don't think he would have weaned if I didn't get pregnant so am glad he is continuing to nurse. It is always nice to have those moments when I can lie down and nurse him and just have a calm peaceful moment to enjoy him and marvel at how HUGE he looks now.
Wendi
#119 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
Eavan takes that time to ask me for a million things or do a bunch of stuff he isn't supposed to like torturing the dog and jumping on the couch.
Today, while I was nursing (of course!) Abby fed the dogs, which consisted of pouring about 5+ cups of expensive hypoallengenic dog food all over the kitchen and living room. Then she put dog food and water in each of the dogs' bowls and got a spoon to stir them up (in the living room, on my rug!) The dogs just kept following her around, like "What are you doing to our food!"

I tried to not give it attention (what she wants) but end of the game was when she filled my ice cream maker with kibble and water and brought that into my living room.

And she routinely yanks our more kid-friendly dog, Piper, all over the house. I have caught her brushing Piper's teeth, changing her diaper, "clipping" her claws, looking at her tongue, examining (poking) her eyeballs, and the kicker, biting, er, chewing Piper's forehead.

Ahhhh, what the little scamps get away with while we are nursing!:
#120 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 PM

Figured I'd better check in over here

Nova will officially be four days old in about 2.5 hours. I can't believe how fast it's gone already!

She lost her cord stump this morning... mommy got it stuck on a wool cover yesterday, and today it was off. Looks fine, though.... I probably wouldn't feel so bad about it except for the fact that I did the same thing to DS at 5 days old. Oops.

Dealing with an 18 month old and a newborn is ROUGH even with DH here. He goes back to work on Tuesday and I am FREAKING OUT. I'm so not ready for that!

My milk came in Thursday morning, and both kids are REALLY happy about it. Although it's really strange, I don't know if it is a side effect of nursing through the pregnancy, but I'm not leaking at all, very little engorgement and I can't feel the letdowns at all (although I hear DD and DS gulping away so I know I'm having them!)

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page