"The Other Side" - Moms Who Have Delivered - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emily will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. I can't believe how fast it goes. Bf'ing is going great. She nurses about every 2 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night. She pees and poops a lot too. Her poop is seedy but green? Anyone know why that is? It doesn't seem to bother her and the dr has seen it and didn't say anything about it. She was 7 lb 1 oz at birth, 6lb 15oz at 3 days, and 7lb 4 oz at her 2 week check-up. Dr says she looks great. She's a very sweet baby and loves to be held. She smiles a lot...especially when you talk to her.

After she was born: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...w/000_2307.jpg

Loving her MT: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...w/000_2442.jpg

Sleeping: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...w/000_2457.jpg

Just over a week old: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...159_092507.jpg

With big sister and big brother: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...166_092507.jpg

In her XS FB: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...169_092507.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
Figured I'd better check in over here

My milk came in Thursday morning, and both kids are REALLY happy about it. Although it's really strange, I don't know if it is a side effect of nursing through the pregnancy, but I'm not leaking at all, very little engorgement and I can't feel the letdowns at all (although I hear DD and DS gulping away so I know I'm having them!)
I've only felt 1 let down.. Maybe because I only have 1 side and Gavin is always attached. And I havent' been engorged or leaked. Maybe both your kiddos are really efficient nursers..
#123 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 PM

We have thrush We made a trip to my mw today to have ourselves looked at and sure enough, I had a feeling when I looked inside his mouth but wasn't really sure what I was looking for. The shooting pain in my breasts pretty much gave it away I suppose. At least we know now and can do something about it. I'm taking diflucan and waiting on the all purpose nipple ointment which will be ready on monday. Liam is on nystatin drops but I've read different things as far as treatment goes with that. Hopefully it gets cleared up quickly and we can finally start enjoying this whole breastfeeding business!

Liam was weighed today while we were at the mw's office, he's up to 10lbs, 8ounces and he's three weeks old tomorrow! Andrew has this theory he likes to call the fishbowl theory, he thinks that Liam only got to 7lbs while he was cooking because he ran out of room while inside me, and once he was out he had tons more room to grow

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#124 of 214 Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Daisie - I never felt any letdown until Lila was 2 weeks old, so about a week and a half after my milk came in. Maybe it will be the same for you? I've heard of some mamas that never feel it though. I might like that better! Mine kind of hurts sometimes

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#125 of 214 Old 09-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Katie - sorry to hear about the thrush. Here is a page from Kellymom . com with lots of info about thrush:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
#126 of 214 Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
Katie - sorry to hear about the thrush. Here is a page from Kellymom . com with lots of info about thrush:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
Thank you for the link. Kellymom has been really helpful, especially the thrush information. The latch information is also good, the LC's I saw use the handouts from kellymom.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#127 of 214 Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM

Katie sorry to hear about your thrush. I hope it clears up really soon. Liam seems to be growing like crazy. Dahlia is a bit over 3 weeks and is up to 6lbs 10oz. She seems so big to me. Brilliantmama that made me laugh visualizing the dog food extravaganza but I would be bummed. It can be so hard when he is just rampaging and I am trapped. I have huge boobs so walking and nursing usually doesn't work at all.
teniprice Emily is so cute. The green poop thing can be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but if she isn't fussy and is gaining well green poop isn't a problem.

Last night was so rough. Eavan had a dairy exposure night before last and so last night he woke up for hours and when I would finally get him to sleep Dahlia would wake and back and forth all night. I got a couple hours of sleep, maybe. I tried to sleep in but Eavan has been very resistant to me staying in bed. Jenabe (dh) and Eavan have been struggling because Eavan is really needy of me right now and rejecting him. I am definitely planning a nap later in the day. I broke out Playful Parenting today to try to come up with some better ideas of interacting with Eavan as he is trying all of our patience. I don't want to be frustrated and bitter so am doing whatever I can to keep the dynamic positive. Unfortunately I am feeling very worn out with the whole process. I have company (my sister and her hubby) are coming to stay tomorrow so it should get even more interesting. :

I hope you all are doing well. It isn't so bad here just tiring and overwhelming trying to balance it all. :
Wendi
#128 of 214 Old 09-30-2007, 10:39 PM

i am pretty much down to about 20 min every other day on the computer LOL. mostly due to the sheer busy-ness of 4 kids ( two of whom need a total of 4 rides to and from school each day).

we little one is almost 4 weeks old already why does the time have to go by so fast. on the flip side, i am glad she will be sleeping more and more at night, at least i hope she does. we had a growth spurt here this past week and last night and the night before she decided it was a great idea to have 2-3 hr awake periods in the middle of the night. friday night was from 245a till almost 5a, and then sat night it was from about midnight till almost 3a.

i am PRAYING that she decides to NOT have an awake period tonight. or perhaps she'll move it back to 8-11p like it was before

otherwise, all is well in our neck of the woods!

oops, time is up. 5 min and i'm outta here LOL
#129 of 214 Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Computer time is tricky, I have much more time to read than to type so when I'm hands free I try to catch up on posts.

Katie~ really hope that the thrush gets better! Ouch!!

Wendi~ hope you got a nap!!

We're doing really well... tho I'm scared for dh to go back to work! Lily is wearing me out, she's just having a hard time but DANG! It is tricky.

Ugh, time's up again!
#130 of 214 Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 AM

Okay I've been trying to read this thread for like a week now. How do you all do it!?
#131 of 214 Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 AM

Just checking in here....

Sean Patrick will be 5 weeks old tomorrow!! So hard to believe that it's been 5 weeks already. He is a wonderful nurser (he gained over 3 lbs in his first month!) and a good sleeper. He started smiling this week, but will only smile for me and Daddy He has some issues with gas, but he just grunts about it instead of crying. We're totally in love with this little guy and my husband tells me once a day "thank goodness you talked me into having another baby!"

I hope everyone else is doing well - I'm off now to catch up on some posts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dwards/123.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dwards/170.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dwards/166.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Edwards/21.jpg

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#132 of 214 Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM

We had our 1 week weight check with the mw today!

Nova is up to 8lbs 12oz! A 9 ounce gain (actually it's a 12 ounce gain in 5 days because she was down to 8lbs on Wednesday!) Looks like I have nothing to worry about supply-wise!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#133 of 214 Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Okay I've been trying to read this thread for like a week now. How do you all do it!?
It takes me about 1/2 hr.. I'll type 3 sentences and then go tend to a child, or nurse or change a diaper.. (my computer is also in our main living area).. I've also know DS's books so well, that I can read them to him, but am really reciting what I've said a million times beforehand (but I'm reading what's here)
#134 of 214 Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 PM

I need a better system so I can get on more and check in with everyone. At least I see I am not the only person having trouble with computer time.

We had our one month check up and he is 50% bigger. I have so much fun playing with the numbers while I sit around and nurse.

Dh commented that he really is an easy babe to which my only reply was that we are much more prepared with what it means to have a newborn. The fatigue gets to me and given many other things going irl and with my extended family I feel a bit neglected and overworked though I suppose if lots of people were around I would crave privacy.

Katie, how is the thrush?

Gotta go, toddler on the loose outside and baby is up again.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#135 of 214 Old 10-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Mommajb-

Its getting better, thank you for asking! I can tell a slight difference as far as the breast pain is concerned, thought I can't see a difference with the nyastatin drops. All they seem to do is make him miserable. I'm going to give those until the end of the week and if I still don't see a difference we're going to try something else. Unfortunately I think Andrew has it in his mouth now from giving kisses to Liam, didn't know that was possible.

#136 of 214 Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Ugh. Does he have symptoms or does he think he can see it? I have no ideas so I don't even know why I am asking. Thrush is a candida infection and the mouth is warm and dark.

I have been thinking... It is October and I do not want to leave any overdue ladies behind but when do we move to life with a babe? Please post a link here when a new thread gets started. :

Also, if I missed your announcement thread, congrats!!!! I hope I get them read but posting is so difficult - I need to set a daily goal for # of posts.

#137 of 214 Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Ugh. Does he have symptoms or does he think he can see it? I have no ideas so I don't even know why I am asking. Thrush is a candida infection and the mouth is warm and dark.
I really have no idea what I'm looking for either, his tongue resembles Liam's right now with the white patches, didn't look at the roof of his mouth. He didn't say whether his tongue felt strange or not, if anyone has experience with this let me know

#138 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Katie, have you googled "pictures of thrush". You may be able to see if the white patches are thrush, I could be wrong, but i'm not sure it is?

Have you thought of taking Grapefruit Seed Extract, as a preventative? I've taken it, when the thrush has just started and it stopped it in its tracks.

Gavin is getting big, I swear he must be getting up to 10lbs, as I really fee the difference in his weight. He's also got a cold, and I can't manually express breastmilk to squirt in his nose, I'd hate to drag out the pump today, but I might have to, he's all congested.
#139 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I have been thinking... It is October and I do not want to leave any overdue ladies behind but when do we move to life with a babe? Please post a link here when a new thread gets started. :
Maybe we should wait until Oct 15th, as that would give even the latest mama's 2wks.

**anyway, it seems as there is only a small group of us, that regularly posts here: So many mama's are MIA.
#140 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM

I am mia to some degree. Its just been so hectic here. Dd isn't adjusting as well as I'd hoped and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. She is angry, cranky, sad, ..., and I feel so awful for her. I try to block out time during the day for us to have time to ourselves, but ds really only likes Mama. I have a vibrating chair, which I hate to use, but he prefers it to anyone else, so I put him in it for an hour or two so dd and I can play, but I feeel so torn between the two of them.

We are cosleeping this time around and its wonderful. Dd wouldn't cosleep. I can't believe how much easier some things are the second time around. Breastfeeding has been a breeze for us, except for a mild case of mastitis and severe engorgement. I was amazed that it only took my little man a couple days to clear that up and although I am still dealing with an oversupply, he is nursing wonderfully and my breasts are close to "normal" for my breastfeeding days.

I had also forgotten how tiny they are, how soft their skin is, and how wonderfully silky their hair is. I could just rub my cheek on his little head and cheek all day/night.

Anyway, dd is paging me...
#141 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrymom View Post
I am mia to some degree. Its just been so hectic here. Dd isn't adjusting as well as I'd hoped and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. She is angry, cranky, sad, ..., and I feel so awful for her. I try to block out time during the day for us to have time to ourselves, but ds really only likes Mama. I have a vibrating chair, which I hate to use, but he prefers it to anyone else, so I put him in it for an hour or two so dd and I can play, but I feeel so torn between the two of them.
Anyway, dd is paging me...
One month in we are just beginning to settle down in regards to the 2 yo dd and 4 yo dd. The 2 yo wants nothing but me and the 4 yo wants nothing to do with me. While I want space from the younger I want the older to start behaving and get more pleasant. I know it begins with me but other than that I do not have any fresh ideas. My kiddos have taken 'ownership' of the babe and the issues are all directed at me not him or themselves. We use the sling alot even though it makes me feel frumpy. I thought a silk sling might help with that.

It seems like the baby blues are slippping away (Yeah!) and some weight is beginning to come off but I am also having those hormonal sweats. With past babes they were in the first week? Anyone else? Does anyone remember when the hairloss kicks in? My shoulder length hair is also shoulder width and only controlled by a ponytail.

Oct 15 sounds good for life with a babe. My oldest will be 11 that day. :

Does anybody have plans today? I tried to hibernate/babymoon for 1 month and now... 1 voice lesson, 2 piano lessons , a picnic lunch, and 2 soccer games today. Can anybody say mastitis tomorrow?

#142 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mama View Post
Maybe we should wait until Oct 15th, as that would give even the latest mama's 2wks.

**anyway, it seems as there is only a small group of us, that regularly posts here: So many mama's are MIA.
I am MIA, but am trying to get back to posting a bit. I've been reading some but not typing. Typing is trickier to figure out one-handed.

I'm starting to feel more "normal" today. I thought I'd miss being pregnant but wow, bending over, lying on my front, and not having achey hips is great! I'm also so glad that someone made me set up people to bring food for the first couple weeks. What a lifesaver it's been, especially since everyone's been great about bringing vegetables. Healthy diet has been really important in helping me keep crazy emotions/fatigue at bay. As it is, I've had a few sad or overwhelmed moments but have bounced back.

Ada is a sweetheart. However, I clearly need to buy more newborn diapers. She's gaining weight like a champ but is still only somewhere in the 7 pound range. We wash her dipes EVERY day. Is worth another 100 bucks I think even if she only wears them another month or two not to have to wash every day.

Hello to all; I am noting what all are going through even though I'm mostly being quiet.
#143 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 PM

i'm still here. mostly reading - occassionally writing.
jamison's 4 weeks today. i weighed her yesterday at WIC - 9lbs 13.5oz, so she gained 2lbs 5oz in 3weeks (despite all the spitting up).

mommajb - no plans today except for homeschooloing. yesterday we had a big day. we left the house at 1pm and got back at 7pm. i'm hoping to stay home for a week to recover from that!

re: diapers - i am loving my aristocrats covers! wish i had discovered them 6 years ago! also wish someone would buy me a couple more - but they all want to buy cute pink clothes, not diaper covers

overall, we are all doing well. of course a little more sleep wouldn't hurt any of us, but we're ok.

Mama to three  
#144 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM

mighty-mama - how's the jaundice/yellow goop?

Mama to three  
#145 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=mighty-mama;9336260]Katie, have you googled "pictures of thrush". You may be able to see if the white patches are thrush, I could be wrong, but i'm not sure it is?
QUOTE]

I looked for some pictures but didn't turn up any that helped. I just compared Andrew's tongue to Liam's and they look similar with the white coating, I suppose if he's not complaining about it then it probably isn't.

Does the grapefruit seed extract work well even with a serious case of it? Today I will try just about anything because my left breast hurts so bad I can barely even lift my arm. I started using the APNO so maybe the steroid is doing it?

#146 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM

Yann is 2 weeks today. I spent most of the day hiding out in my room and sleeping as my 2 oldest kids were being terrors and I couldn't deal with it. Thankfully Dh is still home and he dealt with them. :

I just went on a short walk with my 2 "terrors" and the baby. I saw my next door neighbor and she was surprised I had a baby. She said she thought I had gone on vacation as she hadn't seen me in a couple of weeks, and said she had also been wondering if she was hearing a baby crying. ok...

Yann has a bit of diaper rash and cries whenever he pees or poops, which is often! We are washing dipes every other day but we need more covers. I would like to get some nice wool wrap covers but we don't have a loit of money to spend.

I also would love to get some new clothes for myself. I got rid of most of my non- maternity clothes while I was pregnant. Now my maternity pants are too big but most of my shirts won't cover my belly (which doesn't seem to be getting any smaller - guess I better cut out the sweets...) I have also been wearing DH's underwear . For some reason I was able to wear my normal undies all throughout the pregnancy but now thay are really uncomfortable. sigh.
#147 of 214 Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM

I hear you on the undies issue. I am down to three comfy pairs. I also broke down and spent money on a pair of jeans to wear until I can wear my old ones. (Now it is way too hot for me to wear jeans so it was apparenty not maney well spent. : )

Now all I need to do is find a comfy carrier that makes me feel sleek.

Plaid Leopard, I wish I could send you some extra covers but they would probably be too small by the time they got to you.

#148 of 214 Old 10-04-2007, 12:45 AM

Anyone having severe problems with the toddler adjustment? My poor dd. I just posted in the GD forum, but I feel like I am neglecting her. I just feel like I don' have enough time/arms. And I hate feeling mad at her all the time because she can't be nice. I know why...and I can't seem to fix it! :
#149 of 214 Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 AM

Hi Everyone!
I'm MIA but I do read when I can. Just hard to type! However, I just bought a hands free thing so I can be hands free while pumping... like right now, as it looks like I will be pumping for a while longer.
Marshall gained 4 more oz. in 6 days, which brings him to 6lbs. 9oz and he is 2 months today. The doc wasn't thrilled. We were hoping for an ounce a day. So now I have to try feeding ds 3 oz a feeding, which means more formula.: BUT at this point, we gotta get some meat on his bones. The 'schedule' as it were, is hectic. Especially when my DH isn't home. DS's tempermant is much better now that he has some weight on him but he still is high needs in that he doesn't hang out of arms or go to sleep very easily so it makes trying to pump every 2 hours difficult.
My nipples are still sore too! You would think being week 3 of pumping it would have cleared up by now. I don't think it's ds's latch or maybe it's a combo. I'm doing everything that I know of from air drying, right size flanges and lowest setting. I alternate between 'Motherlove' nipple cream and lansinoh. Any other suggestions?

Hang in there Mamas with toddlers! I'm sure you are doing a great job. I can't imagine how hard it must be. We have to remind ourselves that it's still really early in pp and it will all come together and settle. (at least that's what I'm told)
Here is the link to my blog with last weeks update and last set of photos:
http://web.mac.com/wnkp/iWeb/WNKP%20Site/Blog/Blog.html

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#150 of 214 Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Katie, I had a bad case of thrush w/ DS1, and used the GSE, and nothing else, and I was better within a couple of days, but I know he didn't have any yeast growing in his mouth at that point.. I'm doing it preventively now, as it can't hurt..

I also looked at Gavin's tongue and he has a white tongue, looks like he needs to brush his tongue .. (I think DS1, had this too) I would think it's just the breastmilk? Anyone's else's babe's have white tongues?

I'm still wearing maternity jeans, as they are more comfy, but with my stomach problems, I actually cut slits in the elastic to make them more roomy, as my stomach really hates tight clothing.

Yes, we still have some yellow eye goop, but now the whites of his eye's aren't yellow? Do you think I should be worried it's something other than jaundice, or wait it out a couple more days and see if it passes? *********I looked on Dr. Sears, and It's seems to be a blocked tear duct, so I'm manually expressing and shooting breastmilk in it.. **thanks jeanine.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page