"The Other Side" - Moms Who Have Delivered - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 214 Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update us here on how your Little Ones are doing!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#2 of 214 Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 PM

well, Lila will be 2 days old around 5am and so far she really just wants to sleep and nurse. i got really lucky, she latched on perfectly right after birth and has been a nursing champ ever since! i had expected a lot more work but she seems to be a natural at the boob .

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#3 of 214 Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylea_moon View Post
well, Lila will be 2 days old around 5am and so far she really just wants to sleep and nurse. i got really lucky, she latched on perfectly right after birth and has been a nursing champ ever since! i had expected a lot more work but she seems to be a natural at the boob .
That's awesome! I'm so glad to hear it is going so smoothly!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#4 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 AM

Gavin's doing good.. Still a big sleeper.. He's a little jaundiced, but it seems to be only in his face. He's excretiting the jaundice thru his tear ducts, so the poor guy has crusted yellow goop in his eyes.

Nursing has had me nervous, but he's probably okay, and I'm just paranoid.. I only have the right side, my left (previously infected by breast cancer is shot).. I think probably because I had full breast radiation treatment. All the research I found said it could produce enough, some or not at all; I seem to be in the "not at all" group. He seems to only poop 1x a day, so I'm not sure If I should be worried, from what I've read and heard, it's okay, but I'm a nervous nelly.. He also falls asleep at the breast very easily, so I'm nursing him every 1/2 hr

He's so tiny to me. DS1 was 9.6 at birth, and Gavin's was 7.10 but seems so little.

Today is our first day alone, without DH.. I'm a little nervous, as I injured my back during labor.. I went to the chiro yesterday as my sacroiliac joint is inflammed.. And I can't walk well. It would be fine if I didn't have a crazy 2.5yr old, but we'll be okay..

Also my little man has a little birth abnormality . He has some "webbed" toes.. On both of his feet, the "index & middle" toes are joined at the lowest joint. From what i've read they are normally fine and don't need surgery to separate them.. But a part of me is sad for him, as I don't want anyone to make fun of him.. We aren't telling family, and maybe they'll notice one day, but I know someone will say something hurtful, thinking it's funny to point at someone's disabilities.. No one even noticed at the hospital, and I didn't notice until he was a few days old. For now you really have to stare at his toes to notice. But overall he looks good. I see no visible signs that he carries my nephews genetic mutation (my sister's son, has Hunter's Syndrome, the disease is primarily "maternally passed", my sister said she wasn't a carrier, but the geneticists are concerned the findings weren't accurate).. But I would still need to be a carrier. The disease mostly affects boys. But I need to talk to the ped about having him tested.

Otherwise we are adjusting.. I love newborns, but I always feel so lost in doing things with them.. But, I'm happy to be able to put this guy down when he naps.. I couldn't never ever do that w/ my high needs, DS1.

*** I was wondering, and maybe Fridaxsky or Sanguine knows, since you both have little ones.. But do you think my baby sleeps more because he was born before term? He's not that young, but via early u/s he was born at 36.6.. He just seems to sleep so much longer than my first. And I wonder if he's sleeping more for growth development from being born a little early.

Oh, and I'm already under my pre-pregnancy weight.... Now I need to lose the *extra* cancer weight I put on...
#5 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 AM

OK....PICS ladies, PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have baby fever and wanna see some dreamy yummy baby goodness PUHLEASE
#6 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamom7 View Post
OK....PICS ladies, PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have baby fever and wanna see some dreamy yummy baby goodness PUHLEASE
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/mighty-mama/

hope this works..
#7 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM

maylea_moon~ so glad Lila is nursing like a champ! I want to see pics too!!

mighty-mama~ the pics!! He's so sweet!!!
#8 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM

Mighty-mama, worked great! He is sooo cute! I love the big/little brother pics!

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#9 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
Mighty-mama, worked great! He is sooo cute! I love the big/little brother pics!
thank you.. Just wondering how Scott is doing? He's always been in my thoughts and prayers?
#10 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM

here is a pic of lila, i'm waiting for the rest to be burned to discs and i will post more. she is yawning, not screaming, hehe. my friend said to me that she's "rocking out" (see her hand?):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ospital027.jpg

#11 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Such cute babies maylea-moon and mighty-mama!!!

Our little Ezri is 3 1/2 weeks now and is doing really well - especially since we've had her home the last few days! She is nursing very well, but tires out really quickly. In the NICU, every nurse and lacatation consultant had different advice for how to wean her from the bottles of BM to straight nursing. (Ezri was taking all feeds by bottle and we only nursed 2 times while she was there, plus did a few practice sessions before that). Since we've been home, I first tried nursing her for one feed, then doing a bottle the next. She was doing okay so I tried nursing more, but it seems like she is falling asleep before she gets full so she wakes right back up and wants to eat so then we make up a bottle of BM but by then she only wants a little so we have thrown away A LOT of milk! Plus, trying to fit in pumping sessions between all of this got really difficult so now my freezer stash is down to 2 bottles! So, starting today, we've started a routine I'm calling "Boob, Bottle, Pump." I'm nursing her as long as she wants to, giving her a small bottle (about 1 or 1.5 oz.), then going and pumping out whatever is left. My hope is that as she gets stronger and even better at nursing, she'll have the energy to fill up her tummy before falling asleep. We'll see how it goes!

Other than that, she is just an amazing little thing. She is so strong - lifts her head and wiggles all over the place. She is slowly starting to stay awake more and more so we're starting to see her personality show through - definitely a Leo! She has decided that it's better to pee and poop when her diaper is off so we're going through lots of clothes. We tried out our preemie prefolds yesterday but realized pretty quickly that she's still too tiny - she soaked through her wool longies and her blanket last night - so we'll be using preemie disposables until her legs chunk up and she can fit into her Kissaluvs 0s and other newborn dipes.

Overall, she is a pretty easy baby and we're just so happy to get to have her here with us - though DH is now sleeping on the floor because the cosleeper takes up a bit more room in the bed than expected! Part of me still feels cheated out of those first 3 weeks of her life because even though I spent 10-12 hours a day there, I just feel like we've gotten to know her so much better being with her all the time. I suppose we can't change that though - we're just so happy to have her here!

Mighty-Mama - As for the sleeping more - this is my first so I have no basis for comparison - Ezri does sleep a lot. She wakes up to eat every 2-4 hours and will sometimes stay awake for a little while before and after. The NICU told us not to let her go more than 4 hours without eating so we always have the alarm set to wake her up, but so far she gets up on her own, eats and goes back to sleep. I know they told us that preemies tire out a lot more easily since everything is more work for them - keeping their body temperature, eating, taking in outside stimulation. Nothing to be worried about though! Also don't worry about the pooping - Ezri is only going once a day. The NICU nurses told us that's all some babies do and as long as she is wetting 6-8 times a day, she is getting plenty to eat.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#12 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Oh my thanks for the baby pix! I needed that! They are both so darling. Ezri is so cute too. What is it about MDC that there only seems to be cute babies here!? Mighty-mama I do think that preterm/near term babies do sleep much more than full term. I think you are being really smart to wake him and feed him frequently because babies will just sleep and not eat. Maylea so glad that nursing is going easily for you.
I have been wondering about Scott as well. I hope he is recovering well. Fridaxsy thanks for starting this thread. I am glad you all are sticking around. I love hearing updates about the babies and seeing pix.
Wendi
#13 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
here is a pic of lila, i'm waiting for the rest to be burned to discs and i will post more. she is yawning, not screaming, hehe. my friend said to me that she's "rocking out" (see her hand?):

that's so cute...what a big yawn.... thankx for sharing
#14 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 PM

thanks for the info on the early term sleeping.. I really figured he is sleeping more, or more than DS1 did, because he's early, and not techinically ready to be born now..

I have to go to the ped tomorrow, wish me luck.. I hope his weight is okay.. I'm kinda curious on what is would be. He was 7.10. And if he lost the 10%, I really hope he'd be about 7.3ish? But at least my ped is okay w/ vax "delayes" or that's at least what I say, until I file my "religious exemption" ..
#15 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Mighty-mama I did some quick math and he could (if he lost 10%) go down to about 6lbs 12oz. You want to see him back up to his birthweight by 2 weeks. So if he is on the upswing you are right on with the 7lbs 3oz. But even if he is still a bit lower don't panic. Here's hoping he has gained plenty and your ped is great about all your wishes.
Wendi
#16 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 05:27 PM

All the pictures are wonderful!!! I really love them! How cute! I need to do that too!

mighty-mama ~ I asked my baby's doctor the same question today at her one week appointment about the amount of sleep. She said that some babies will sleep 21 hours in a day! Mine is sleeping a lot!!! I am having a hard time keeping her awake long enough to nurse.

We had our one week appointment today! She is doing great! She is already up to her birth weight! I am also so glad that we are past the SUA scare! I can't believe it is all behind us now and we can focus on our healthy little girl. She is so sweet and so good!

Fridaxsky ~ I am so happy that your little one is doing so well! She sounds so sweet!!!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#17 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Hi ladies!

Linus is three days and we are all done with meconium, full on into engorgement and lots of yellow poo before and after every nursing. I am experiencing some real sensory overload issues with all the noise and commotion and drop-by visitors (mostly elderly neighbors, friends know better). Physically I am surprised at how well I am doing and hope just being home with everyone isn't so taxing as to set me back. There is a certain amount of running around that I cannot avoid.

Only dd2 seems to be having adjustment issues though it is early. Dd1, who will be 9 later this month, also has more than her fair share of mood swings causing me to look forward to 2 full years of non-stop pms. Dh continues his streak of no missed classes due to childbirth. Men track odd things.

I will try to post pics soon but I expect it to get lost in the shuffle. You sure have cute babies.

I have chronic sacroiliiac issues that thankfully are quiet right now but I feel your pain mighty-mama. I hope that straightens out quickly.

It is good to hear Ezri is home nursing more and more.

As to the sleepiness, if jaundice is an issue (and it is more common the earlier the babe makes its grand debut) it contributes to the sleeping. It is very much recommended to wake them to nurse in order to keep them pooping as this helps to excrete the bili and regular, frequent nursing early on also establishes a good milk supply.

i am so glad to be here on this side of delivery!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#18 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
Part of me still feels cheated out of those first 3 weeks of her life because even though I spent 10-12 hours a day there, I just feel like we've gotten to know her so much better being with her all the time. I suppose we can't change that though - we're just so happy to have her here!
Oh mama. Please try and be gentle with yourself. I remember when my sister's eldest was in the NICU, and it was only a few days.. She had a lot of saddness over losing that bonding experience. I couldn't imagine.. You have every right to feel cheated. I know I would.. I'm glad there is now a NICU/Preemie forum.. I hope they can help you...
#19 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Edwards/16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Edwards/22.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Edwards/51.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Edwards/87.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Edwards/86.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dwards/102.jpg

Sean is doing GREAT - he's a good nurser and a good sleeper. He's 9 days old and about an ounce away from his birth weight ( 7lbs, 8oz). He poops and pees like a crazy man!

We're just in complete love with him. He's perfect.

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#20 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
Mighty-mama I did some quick math and he could (if he lost 10%) go down to about 6lbs 12oz. You want to see him back up to his birthweight by 2 weeks. So if he is on the upswing you are right on with the 7lbs 3oz. But even if he is still a bit lower don't panic. Here's hoping he has gained plenty and your ped is great about all your wishes.
Wendi
okay, thanks for the mathematical breakdown.. Hopefully we're good tomorrow.. Thanks.
#21 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Sean is precious!!! So good to hear all is going well!
#22 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM

anyone's milk come in yet? i'm on day 3 PP and waiting still. she's nursing every hour, in fact i'm nak right now

#23 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Congratulations mamas!!! I am so proud of everyone and glad that your babies are here!
#24 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
anyone's milk come in yet?
Mine came in on my 3rd day pp.

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#25 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mama View Post
ooooh! my gosh he is SO BEAUTIFUL :
what a chunker muffin!! ( I love babies that come out nice and fluffy! *lol* I bet you kiss him 24/7
#26 of 214 Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Thats like a Mic Jagger "yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh" face

She is a cutie though can't wait to see the rest!
#27 of 214 Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 AM

roisin is a whole day and a half old, and i have to say, this mothering stuff is crazy like the wolf!

she's a great nurser, as far as i can tell. i mean, my nipples are sensitive, especially for the first minute of a session, but i expect that to get better.

she's an incredible sleeper too. just so calm. sleepin all the time!

anyway, we're both doing well. with such a mental labor, i'm still healing and toddling about b/c of my stitches. luckily dh is a real champ and has changed every diaper because i'm pretty much bed/couch confined.

i'll post pics as soon as we upload them!

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#28 of 214 Old 09-06-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanbh View Post
roisin is a whole day and a half old, and i have to say, this mothering stuff is crazy like the wolf!

she's a great nurser, as far as i can tell. i mean, my nipples are sensitive, especially for the first minute of a session, but i expect that to get better.

she's an incredible sleeper too. just so calm. sleepin all the time!

anyway, we're both doing well. with such a mental labor, i'm still healing and toddling about b/c of my stitches. luckily dh is a real champ and has changed every diaper because i'm pretty much bed/couch confined.

i'll post pics as soon as we upload them!
so how are you doing... You're a mom now... Is it surreal? Isn't it amazing to love someone so quickly... You'll probably never remember life without your little girl.
#29 of 214 Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM

AHHHHH! Such a bunch of beautiful babies! I want mine! I'm really glad that you are all doing so well... You should all be so proud!
#30 of 214 Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 AM

So maybe now I can stop being paranoid..

Gavin went to ped.. Weight is 7.6 (birth weight 7.10).. So it seems my 1 breast is producing.. Yeah.. I will bring him back late next week just to dbl check..

Ped wasn't concerned about the few webbed toes. Ped also mentioned that his "sleeping" is expected.. Even though on paper I was due 9/15, (u/s said 9/19).. He was born almost 37.. So we can have some "preemie" tendencies.. So sleeping is one of them.. Ped was also impressed with his strong vocal lungs..

But gotta run to the chiro, can't wait to be feeling better..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page