Scheduled induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if I'm completely comfortable with it, but my midwife wants to schedule an induction at 41.5 weeks. I'm going to have her strip my membranes one last time tomorrow and if that doesn't get things moving by tuesday...should I go along with the induction? I wouldn't even consider it if I wasn't in a time crunch to get back in school...

What do you ladies think?

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 PM

I was induced last month and it was a very hard labor! 15 hours! It definitely was not the birth experience that I wanted and dreamed of having. However, I am now holding a very healthy little girl in my arms and all that is behind me!
Do what feels right for you in your heart! I know that sounds kind of cheesy... but I think it is the best way to go. For me, my little one was high risk and I felt we were making the best choice with the information that we had.

Good luck Mama!!!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#3 of 14 Old 09-23-2007, 11:56 PM

What would be the issue until waiting until 42 weeks? Do you feel comfy about waiting 42 weeks (aside from feeling very pregnant!)?

For me, I wouldn't induce unless something was very wrong. But, I'm not uncomfortable with postdates.
#4 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 AM

With DD#1 I was scheduled for an induction at 41 weeks and 6 days, but I begged and pleaded to get an extra day. (Un)Fortunately, the hospital didn't have any room for that extra day at 42 weeks and 0 days, so I was scheduled at 42 weeks and 1 day. And guess what?! My DD#1 came naturally on 42 weeks and 0 days without an induction. The point is every day counts! You might not even have to go that long to the induction, maybe something will happen before then. And with the PP's question, why not go to 42 weeks, why 41.5 weeks?

Having said that, most people in this forum prefer natural versus induction (including myself!) but I know plenty of people who induced who had successful, "average" speed labors. Don't fear an induction just because it's not natural -- you can still do things to ready your body (evening primrose oil, raspberry redleaf tea, walking, etc). Do whatever you think is right for you.
#5 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 AM

I agree with those asking is there a reason to induce at 41.5 weeks?

I'm 42 weeks today by my midwife's calculations. If I haven't had the baby by tomorrow, then we'll be going to a hospital and having a non-stress test along with an ultrasound just to make sure everything is OK along with signing some paperwork (for her) saying that we've discussed the pro's/con's of going past 42 weeks. She said that basically the ultrasound/NST will 'buy us' another week of gestation. I'm not sure what happens after that
#6 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 01:29 AM

I would just wait it out. The baby will come when she is ready. I would even discourage against stripping membranes, because if baby isn't ready to come it could end in a stalled labour.
#7 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM

If I were you I prob. would have already tried the cohoshes and castor oil route. I don't think induction is a great route, but I can understand a need for sometimes. I think the fact that you are in a time crunch and are missing out on all your time with your baby before you have to rush off to school is a very good reason. I think it is sad that you've missed precious one on one bonding time. But like I said I would first go the natural route. I don't know if I would ever do pitocin though b/c that just scares me more. The only thing is, what's the difference between now a couple of days to your mw?

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#8 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM

i'd want to know why she wants to induce...is your amniotic fluid low? is your placenta deteriorating?

once i hit 42 weeks, i would let her...that is, if you're certain your dates are correct.
#9 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM

I was induced w/ DS1 @39 wks, due to pregnancy induced hypertension, which caused the placenta to age prematurely.. For me, I had hrs of pit, with no progress. I actually left the hospital the next day, as the baby appeared fine. I thibk he just wasnt ready, but I did go into labor 5 days later.

Its a hard choice. I try not to have medical intervention, but I am also realistic. I think its a personal choice that all the pros & cons need to be weighed.. Best wishes.
#10 of 14 Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
What would be the issue until waiting until 42 weeks? Do you feel comfy about waiting 42 weeks (aside from feeling very pregnant!)?

For me, I wouldn't induce unless something was very wrong. But, I'm not uncomfortable with postdates.
Well, the induction would be set at the 42 week mark...so, I WOULD be waiting till 42 weeks. I don't like the idea of an induction either...it's just...I have about 2 weeks before I'm required back at school...and I wanted AT LEAST a month with her...but apparently that's not going to happen now.

#11 of 14 Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriforeman View Post
i'd want to know why she wants to induce...is your amniotic fluid low? is your placenta deteriorating?

once i hit 42 weeks, i would let her...that is, if you're certain your dates are correct.
The baby seems to be doing fine...she's GREAT if anything. They want to induce just because she's comin' up on the 42 week mark.

But to be completely honest, I'm nervous/scared about induction.
I feel a little pressure by family to get her out and into the world as well.

My consultation with the hospital is tomorrow. I'll try and take the latest date they have this week...to give the little one some time to come on her own.:

#12 of 14 Old 09-25-2007, 02:49 AM

FWIW I was induced with pit at the 42 week mark with ds2. My labor was 2.5 hours from the first contraction to baby in my arms and when I went in to the hx I was 0 cm dilated. I did it without an epidural and it was tough but doable. Good luck mama!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#13 of 14 Old 09-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Not in your DDC, but I had to be induced last month at 42 weeks and one day due to various reasons ( concern about the baby). My midwife suggested breaking my water and using an electric breast pump at the hospital to bring on contractions and it worked. I didn't have to have any pitocin. Now, everyone is different and there is no way of knowing what will work for you, but when I found out I had to be induced I was beyond relieved to find out that there were alternatives to pit. even in a hospital.
Good luck with your decision.
#14 of 14 Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I should say that I resorted to pitocin at 42 weeks because NOTHING else I tried (including cohoshes, acupuncture, accupressure, nipple stimulation with pump, sex,castor oil, etc. worked). I went in to the midwife on that morning to see if we could break my water bag but my baby was still so high up that she feared his cord with prolapse. It was really my last resort.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page