Cian's birth story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I will actually get this all typed out Sorry, it will probably be long and rambling

9/20 at midnight, just as I was getting in bed, contractions started. I had multiple weeks of prodromal labor, but this was immediately different and I knew it was "real labor" as soon as the first one hit. I had 3 about 15 minutes apart, and then a couple 10 minutes apart. Then they moved to 6 minutes apart. I decided to get up and take a bath, just to make sure they werent going to slow down or stop on me again! Around 3 in the morning, they were still coming regularly at 4-6 minutes and were a little more intense. I went ahead and called my mw, doula, and mom. DH got up out of bed and we started getting some last minute things together.

Mom arrived around 4, doula around 4:30. We sat around and talked for awhile, though I did have to stop and concentrate and walk through contractions. MW got there around 6:30am. Around 9:30 they were getting stronger and closer, so we decided to fill up the birth tub so I could labor in that for awhile. My doula noticed that I was shifting my hips funny during contractions, and I noticed that my left hip was starting to bug me. Sometime around 10:30 I got in the tub...it felt great as they were starting to really require my full attention. My hips, especially my left, were really starting to hurt with each contraction and my DH and doula were squeezing my back and hips during each contraction. I was definitely starting to get vocal as well, which I was not expecting. I am a very quiet person, and even when on pitocin with dd, I did not feel the need to vocalize.

I think somewhere around 1:30 or 2 (so about 14 hours into labor) my mw decided to check me....I was only at a 2 and the baby was still not engaged. They decided that the water was stalling me and that I needed to get out. I layed down for awhile and got about an hour of rest. My mw did a relaxation exercise with me, and the contractions slowed enough for me to actually fall asleep a little. I guess that lasted about an hour, then I got up and started walking around again.....my hip was killing me! Finally, I got in the shower with DH and he squeezed for every contraction, and I pretty much was screaming through them. We were in the shower for about 2 hours when the hot water started running out. I walked around for awhile again, and contractions were definitely beating me. I was cussing through them at this point, but trying to stay fairly quiet so DD wouldnt worry. My mw checked me again, and still only at 2cm and baby's head was waaaay up. I decided around 7pm to head to the hospital for an epidural. I was having a very hard time eating or drinking anything, and was exhausted. I hadnt slept in 36 hours at that point, and had been in labor for 19 hours.

We called my ob (I had been doing dual care since midwives are technically illegal here) and my doula explained what was going on. If it wasnt for my hip, I probably would have been ok, but I cant even describe how bad it hurt, way worse than pitocin. My doula tried multiple things to get the pressure off my hip, but nothing worked. Basically, we wanted the epidural asap when we got there. Luckily, my OB set it all up. As we were getting ready to leave, my water broke.

The car ride sucked! But, at the last turn, (which DH took a little too fast) I felt something shift and my hip got better. It only lasted about 15 minutes, but it was enough to get me up and in my room. They checked me again and I was at 5cm, but baby was still very high up. They quickly got me checked in and I got the epidural. My plan was to sleep as much as I could. Well, around 1:30am the nurse came in and had me switch positions as his heart was showing decels. She called my ob and she came in to check. They wanted to do a c-section. They were all concerned (including my doula who was still with me) about the decels because he wasnt engaged yet. They said they expected them in babies who were coming down and being squeezed, but there was no reason a baby that high up should be having them.

So, I asked them to wait just a little longer, which they did. Finally, I ended up agreeing with them and we had the c-section done at 4 in the morning on 9/21, after 28 hours of labor. In all that time, I dilated to 6cm, but his head never did engage. So, I didnt get my homebirth or my VBAC

I have to say though that the hospital experience was great this time around. Same hospital as my first, but I had wonderful nurses this time (the first time they werent bad, just "typical") Everyone was ok with me refusing hep B, vit k, and eye gunk. All were very happy that we werent circing, and my night nurse may be a new member on MDC soon! We had lots of late night talks about not vaxing (her children were older, but she stopped when they were around 12), homeopathy, VBACing, etc.

Anyways, there are a ton of details that are not included, but geez, its long enough as it is Kudos to those of you who made it this far into my jumbled post!!

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM

Wow, that was such a long labor! You are a trouper for sticking it out for so long.
I'm sorry you didn't get your HBAC. It sounds like you did an amazing job, tho! You did what you had to do to get your baby boy safely into this world.

Many Blessings, mama!

OT~If you ever wanna chat chickens, let me know!
#3 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama

OT~If you ever wanna chat chickens, let me know!
Well, I could always chat chickens Are any of yours laying yet?

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your story!
#5 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
Well, I could always chat chickens Are any of yours laying yet?
Yep! We got ours in March, so we started getting eggs in July. Their production is dwindling now & we're getting 1-2 a day from 4 hens. I noticed the first feathers are starting to fall, too. How about you?
#6 of 6 Old 10-13-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama View Post
Yep! We got ours in March, so we started getting eggs in July. Their production is dwindling now & we're getting 1-2 a day from 4 hens. I noticed the first feathers are starting to fall, too. How about you?
I got two of mine at the end of June, they were about 2 months, and then I got two more in August, and they were about 2 months then.....no eggs yet! My DH checks every morning though....he cant wait! Mine have been losing feathers off and on, but more because they are maturing then due to a molt I think

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page