Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   September 2007 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/392-september-2007/)
-   -   tantum nursing anyone? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/392-september-2007/769419-tantum-nursing-anyone.html)

gina871 10-14-2007 02:36 AM

Thank goodness I had one wean otherwize I would have been triantuming ( is that even a word) It gooding OK. I enjoyed nursing my new baby and my two year better, then I a nursing my new baby and my three year old. She did ask very much the last few weeks of my pregance and know she asks almost every time I sit down with teh baby.

Plaid Leopard 10-14-2007 05:12 PM

I tandem nursed my 2yo ds and my dd. Then I tandem nursed my 3yo dd and my 3rd baby. Luckily my 3rd weaned early on this pregnancy. I have to say I am glad to only be nursing one baby this time around.

lactivist 10-14-2007 06:37 PM

I am tandem nursing for the first time and so far it is equally great and miserable. I am glad to have some times to lie down and nurse my toddler but his latch sucks and he hurts me. He also has been super demanding this week (okay always just more this week) and keeps throwing fits so I have been doing a lot of nursing them both together which sucks. I get claustrophobic having them both on me nursing. The fact that my older kids keep waking her up and then she has to nurse twice as much isn't helping much either. I did have a beautiful moment of nursing them together when Eavan grabbed Dahlia's hand so sweetly and they were both nursing and holding hands.
Wendi

greenmagick 10-15-2007 01:54 AM

I am tandem nursing as well, and agree that so far it is great and sucks My dd has almost completely stopped eating solids, is nursing a lot, and screams for "milk" most times she sees the baby nursing. Her poop is now almost back to bf poo too which is no fun! DS and I also have a little thrush right now, so that is making things all the more fun.

But, I do enjoy the closeness that we have because of it. She also really likes sharing milk with her brother so it is a cute bonding time for them, even though I am uncomfortable and touched out I am just very grateful that she hasnt resorted to waking throughout the night to nurse like she used to....up until she was about 18 months, she was still nursing about every 2 hours through the night, now she maybe wakes once! DS usually sleeps a couple of 3-4 hour stretches, so that is very nice!

sunshine's mama 10-15-2007 11:31 AM

We aren't tandeming per se, I totally thought she would though bc it's all she talked about...claiming the "chocolate" side for her and the not chocolate (less producing, slower flow) side for her new sister...

I have pumped a few times now that the oversupply has settled a bit and found big sister in the fridge, unscrewing the bottle lid and pouring the milk in her cup....giggling and drinking it....So she's getting her yummies (her word for it) that way.....I am ok with that....every now and then she asks to latch for a few but she doesn't remember how to do it right and it hurts....so she just sits close and "reads" to her sister while she nurses....

Daisie125 10-15-2007 03:25 PM

NAK

Tandem here too! ITA with the it's great & it sucks opinions!

Perhaps if my 18 month old wasn't asking every 30 seconds and then tantruming when I say no it would be eaiser. I'm sorry but I can not spend ALL DAY nursing my 18 month old! Heck at this point he nurses more than his newborn sister.

I'm thinking about trying to cut him down to in the morning, before and after naps and before bed (and hopefully eventually nightweaned by 2) I feel horrible about it since I'm all about CLW, but I can't take this much more.... I'm getting NO sleep between nursing both of them and I'm starting to resent how much DS asks.

*sigh*

mommajb 11-01-2007 09:17 PM

I am reviving this thread because both my little girls weaned during this pregnancy and now my 2 yo is talking about wanting to nurse. I don't really want her to try again. I am putting it out there and hoping to hear what you mommas have to say to me either way.

IntuitiveJamie 11-02-2007 09:25 AM

mommajb- I've heard that an older child that had previously weaned will ask again and if you let them, a lot of times they will have actually forgot how to suck properly.

I wouldn't want my oldest to start again either, so i understand your concern. What about pumping some milk into a cup for her instead?

lactivist 11-02-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I am reviving this thread because both my little girls weaned during this pregnancy and now my 2 yo is talking about wanting to nurse. I don't really want her to try again. I am putting it out there and hoping to hear what you mommas have to say to me either way.
It is such a personal preference. If you don't want her nursing then don't let her try. Maybe some milk in a cup? Eavan stopped nursing for less than 3 weeks and took it back up. Some days I hate it and some days it is great. I had to work on his latch a lot. I would just use distraction and redirection when she wants to nurse, if you aren't into it.
Wendi

mommajb 11-04-2007 04:17 PM

Thank you, I just needed more perspective. After tandeming through part of this pregnancy I am not up for it again right now. Dh had been putting her to bed but it has fallen to me again. Nursing was part of our routine and she was momentarily thown off. When I let she laughed and said that babies nurse. (She is really into being a big girl right now.) I am glad to be past that hurdle and not feel like I took it away from her.