Would you let them do a story on your accidental UC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my husband called the paper for dd's birth announcement, they were intrigued by the circumstances~ an accidental UC while waiting for the Mw to arrive for a homebirth. Dh told them a little bit about why it's safer to have them home & they want to do a story on us.

I'm apprehensive because this is a small town and very conservative. A few people I've told about the birth that didn't know our plans in advance were completely shocked. Completely, like gasping for air & whatnot. It seems like we should do it, just to open some people up to the idea... but I have a feeling we'd have a lot of criticism for it, it scares some folks to hear this and I've already heard that I put my baby at risk, on &on.
Would it be homebirth advocacy or just an invasion of our privacy? I guess that would depend on the spin they put on it.
What would you do?
#2 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. It could go either way. It could be a great education for some but could also expose you. Maybe if you could get final approval for the article you could have some control over its content?
Wendi
#3 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM

I would definitely let them do it! I like to open people's eyes to new things even if it is shocking to them. Plus I'm the kind of person that doesn't care what others think, if I believe in my choices I have nothing to hide! (I also live in a small town, so I see where you're coming from) I say go for it!

Christian mama to one dear girl, and wife to a Jesus - loving husband smile.gif  

#4 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM

We actually were interviewed after the home waterbirth of our dd, that was back in Ireland. The article was really informative and mostly supportive of homebirth, but it very much depends on the slant the reporter puts on it. I would say talk to them more and get a feel for the angle they are looking for before you agree, then reserve the right to pull your details out if the finished article doesn't ruly reflect your opinions.
#5 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM

I would ask for final approval too.....just so you could ok it and see the spin put on it!!
#6 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 PM

personally, no. i hate attention, and i really hate any kind of shock or negative questioning type attention. so, i would NOT be ok with people asking me a million " was that a good idea" type of questions. but that is just me

i do think that it would be cool to get homebirths more attention in the media though!!

one other thought, be careful putting birth announcements in papers. we do NOTHING to draw attention to the fact that we have a new baby in the home. not even balloons or anything. too many people have access to that kind of information for my comfort level.
#7 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 PM

I tell absolutely anyone and everyone who will listen about my homebirth. I am proud of our decision to trust in my body and the birth process. I would not be comfortable having an article published in the local paper about my dd's birth.
I assume they think your birth experience is a news story because you didn't plan for your baby to be born without medical assistance. Kind of like the woman who gives birth in the car on the way to the hospital. Would it be a story if your midwife had made it in time? Would it be a story if you had planned it? I tend to think the article would be more an invasion of your privacy.
On the other hand, if you could convince them to write an article on homebirth in general and they interviewed midwives and other couples who had homebirths and you would be one of the people interviewed then it would be advocacy. Does that make sense? Just my personal feelings.
#8 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 PM

That is a iffy situation. There is such a stigma attached to an accidental UC. But when you say you did not mind then they think your crazy. I often feel teh woman who birth in the car or somewhere else accidently are lucky. they do not see it that way, bu they are. Rarely does mama or babe have an issue and it really should not be newsworthy because it is normal.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#9 of 10 Old 10-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Not in your DDC but I wanted to response. I think it would be a great opportunity to educate people and take their fears. It would depend on how the article is written. I would do it only if they bring in experts and facts that show how safe a homebirth really is.
#10 of 10 Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for all of the replies. I'm not sure what we'll do. We never called them back & they left a message on our answering machine again. They probably won't interview midwives, we're in IL and they're not legal/licensed here. This newspaper has the rep as a gossip rag so I'm really hesitant. Getting final say in whether or not it prints is the only way we'd do it...but it still feels like an invasion of privacy. I just want people to know about homebirth so bad! I wish they'd do it but keep our identities hidden.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page