Flu vac/breastfeeding/our new little ones - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello mama's

I wanted to post this in our ddc because I wanted your thoughts and what you are doing....

The flu scares me ... especially with our newborns! I have a pre-school aged little one and a husband that works with the general public everyday. My feeling is to stay away from the flu shot all together, however, my dh is getting one and that is his choice. I am breastfeeding and I would be so worried about it getting into my breastmilk...

What are your thoughts please?

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#2 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM

Quite simply: I don't do it. Just like I don't do vaccinations.
I prefer to keep myself healthy by eating right, getting lots of fresh air and washing my hands. The flu doesn't scare me.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you takebirthback! I really do appreciate your post!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#4 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 PM

Never had the flu shot and have never had the flu . . . (granted, I am only 30!)

I tend to agree that overall good health and good handwashing should be all you need.

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#5 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 PM

I wouldn't do it. Like pp said there are other ways to stay healthy!
#6 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 PM

The few people I've known who got the flu shot actually got sick shortly thereafter.
#7 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts mamas!! OOoooo... yucky.. beemama.. good info to know! I am definitely going to stay away from it!

#8 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM

I will never get the shot either.
#9 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama View Post
The few people I've known who got the flu shot actually got sick shortly thereafter.
:

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#10 of 22 Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 PM

i wouldn't get a flu shot if you paid me . . . . . too many nasties in it.

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#11 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 AM

no flu shot here either. you can acutally get sick from the shot. not worth it IMO. plus, if you are a healthy person and you get the flu you should be ok, and you'll pass those antibodies and immunities to the babe via breast milk
#12 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 09:29 AM

I don't understand how the flu became this really scary illness. I've had it many times in my life and you sure feel yucky, but it's not a big deal. Is it b/c old ppl die from it? Is that where this big fear came from. I really don't get it?

#13 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

takebirthback~ I am now definitely not getting the vax. However, I did post that it scared me b/c of my newborn, not really anyone else. I have had the flu too... just feel really icky for a few days and it passes... but if my newborn gets the flu it could be more serious b/c of dehydration... right??? I am just guessing...
I really just want to educate myself...

danaalex ~ oooo .... wonderful... that is great to know!!!!!

#14 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 02:47 PM

If your babe gets sick then breastfeed, breastfeed, and breastfeed some more. It may all come back up or out but breastmilk is the best way to combat dehydration. If the babe had serious complications then of course you would seek treatment, but BF babies usually get through illnesses really well.
#15 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM

I don't do the flu shot and don't worry about the flu. We have only had one bad flu in 17 years of being together. I have a mild flu right now and I have kept it minor by taking oscillococcinum, works like a charm. Dahlia is sick too but very minor and it doesn't even seem to be bothering her.
Wendi
#16 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 PM

that is one of the greatest things about breastfeeding, passing on the antibodies YOUR body creates to fight a virus on to the babe

i've had 4 kids and they have all been babies in the winter we've NEVER done a flu shot, never will, and NONE of them has ever gotten sick sick. and none have ever had the flu. AND! since 2003, my oldest has been in some sort of "school" or organized group during the day during the winters. so, she has always been able to share her germs with us at home LOL. but they've all been breastfeed for at least a year, and no one is vaxed and they are all incredibly healthy
#17 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again danaalex. That is wonderful to hear! Thank you for posting!

#18 of 22 Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM

Rachel- I wasn't directing my question at you and I'm sorry if it came across as you are silly for being worried. You are a parent questioning things...nothing silly about that.
I was just really putting the question out there that I really don't understand how the flu got to be such a big deal. Seems like it's as common as a cold only you feel a little worse. So I am truly wondering how it got known as this big bad illness? Does anyone know? Seriously?

#19 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 AM

well, i think some of it has to do with science really. they were ABLE to create a vaccine, so they did.

but really, immunocompromised and elderly are at risk for SEVERE illness with the flu. some can die from COMPLICATIONS from the flu, but not usually the flu itself. like they'll develop pneumonia.

the craziest thing about the flu shot, is that there are several strands of the flu ( like the cold virus has many versions) and they way they come up with the present year vaccine is to see what the main strands were the year or so before. SO, say you get the shot and you are vaccinated again strain 1 and 2, but YOU are exposed to and pick up strain 3, you are NOT immunized against it and therefore you WILL get sick with the flu.

i don't get why healthy people do that to themselves, but to each their own!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Rachel- I wasn't directing my question at you and I'm sorry if it came across as you are silly for being worried. You are a parent questioning things...nothing silly about that.
I was just really putting the question out there that I really don't understand how the flu got to be such a big deal. Seems like it's as common as a cold only you feel a little worse. So I am truly wondering how it got known as this big bad illness? Does anyone know? Seriously?
#20 of 22 Old 10-31-2007, 02:31 PM

Don't plan on getting it either. Haven't ever gotten it. I feel like washing my hands, keeping myself healthy and breastfeeding are enough for my babe.
#21 of 22 Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 PM

I never had gotten the flu shot tell this year. Since my son is in school now I was scared. I didn't get sick or feel anything different from the shot.
#22 of 22 Old 11-23-2007, 03:09 AM

I have never gotten a flu shot and don't plan to this year, nor do I plan to get one for the baby. My husband does usually get one, but has not yet this year, for no reason other than he...just hasn't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page