newborns/babies and airplanes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-27-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm here to observe! We'll be flying (four 1.5-hour flights) when DS is 9 weeks.

I think the advice I've seen is to have them nurse both on the take-off and the landing. But you're right ... what if they're not hungry? Hopefully we will be enlightened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM

take off & landing. it don't think it will do damage if they don't want to nurse, but it may hurt when their ears pop.. in which case they're likely to nurse for comfort.
#3 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 12:44 AM

try to get the babe to suck during take off and landing if you can. the pressure will hurt their ears and they should want to suck for comfort anyway. but no, no damage if they DON"T suck during pressure changes

flying with a new baby is actually pretty easy IMO! we are flying in nov. with our babe and our 2.5 yr old and then again in jan. MUCH easier to fly with little babes than toddlers or even one year olds LOL.
#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM

My first son has flown like 21 times or something. Starting at 6 weeks. He's been fine everytime. He usually will nurse on takeoff and landing, but sometimes hasn't. He's been totally fine either way. I don't think their eardrums will burst, but the pressure might make them uncomfortable. I'm sure y'all travelling soon will be just fine!
Have fun!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#5 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great advice. Just remember to take carseats with you and USE IT on the plane! Take off and landing are the most dangerous parts of the flight. When you are buckled in, make sure baby is, too! (And remember they recommend we ALL stay buckled even during cruising.)

(Just a PSA from your friendly child passenger safety advocate! )

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad you got there without too much trouble! Sounds like he did great!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Glad everything went well! I'm no longer nervous about flying with one, we've done it so many times and mostly it was just me and babe. But now we have two!! Two babes, two carseats, double diapes and all that. We will experience this for the first time at Christmas. Luckily I will have my dh to help.
Speaking of dh's..how did yours manage the drive? Did he also make it in one piece; with your stuff?

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#8 of 8 Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM

glad it went well we're flying on friday with our youngest two. last fall at thanksgiving we flew to FL with all three of the kids. it actually wasn't too too bad. there were two of us and three of them, but we did it.

on the way back we upgraded to first class which was much easier and nicer than coach. the girls had more room to spread out and they were offered more food and snacks and drinks too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page