What articles and features of Mothering issue #158 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #158 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Challenging the Status Quo 8 57.14%
Your Letters 13 92.86%
Voices from MotheringDotCommunity 4 28.57%
What's Kickin'? News you won't get anywhere else 11 78.57%
The Girl Who Wouldn't Bathe 18 100.00%
Dad's Golden Hour 20 100.00%
Ring of Fire 14 100.00%
The Scent of a Woman 38 100.00%
Monkeys, Mangoes, and Machetes 30 100.00%
Soups in Still Life 14 100.00%
The Mothering Soup Fest 7 50.00%
Fêting the Heart 2 14.29%
Strokes of Genius 2 14.29%
Backstage 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the January-February 2010 issue #158 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #158. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue #158. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2 of 16 Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 AM

This month's issue was right on time! Literally. I had my son at 6:30 in the morning on 12/30 and at 11am, my husband got the mail and happily handed me this month's issue. I promptly read it cover to cover, but I have to say that Scent of a Woman was the perfect article for me as I was happily breastfeeding my new little guy.

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#3 of 16 Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 PM

I really loved monkeys, mangoes, and machetes! Growing up my mother and I travelled alot, we spent a year in mexico, and another year in Seoul South Korea, two places that are so far from each other I used to wonder how they could be on the same planet. I've lived or been to nearly all 50 states (i'm still missing Alaska, and a few of the ones in the middle) I hope to someday be able to show my children the world as well, and the trip they took might be just the way to do it!
#4 of 16 Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Dad's Golden Hour was great for our family. The day that I got the magazine in I read it aloud to my husband and kids. My husband got some great ideas from it and it gave him a new appreciation for what he does every night. Our children cherish the hours that my husband has spent reading them books and telling them stories, he has been doing it for 3 years and is still going strong... with no end in sight!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#5 of 16 Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 AM

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to read the latest issue yet.
My subscription issue has yet to arrive but I had a chance to flip through the magazine at a grocery store today. It looks so beautiful! I just wanted to read the whole magazine right there and then! I had tears in my eyes when I saw the article about dads and books. My husband reads to our daughter every day when he is at home. It is their special bonding time. I can't wait to share the article with him. Thank you Mothering!

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#6 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 AM

I think my favorite thing in issue 158 was the photo of the beautiful voluptuous mama laying down with her baby on page 52. It's the first time I can remember in a long time that I've seen a woman of more average size portrayed in the magazine, and it made me smile. I even held it up to my husband and asked him, "Do you notice anything unusual about this photo?" and he answered, "Yeah, she's normal size." Most women are more zaftig (a Yiddish word meaning pleasantly plump, full figured, juicy, succulent) after giving birth. It's nice to see it in your pages.
#7 of 16 Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmom View Post
I think my favorite thing in issue 158 was the photo of the beautiful voluptuous mama laying down with her baby on page 52. It's the first time I can remember in a long time that I've seen a woman of more average size portrayed in the magazine, and it made me smile. I even held it up to my husband and asked him, "Do you notice anything unusual about this photo?" and he answered, "Yeah, she's normal size." Most women are more zaftig (a Yiddish word meaning pleasantly plump, full figured, juicy, succulent) after giving birth. It's nice to see it in your pages.
I agree!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#8 of 16 Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Dad's golden hour; this is a cherished part of our personal nightly routine. The time and discussions spent with dad reading fun books one on one are priceless for our kids, with our busy full and sometimes chaotic lives.
#9 of 16 Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM

I always enjoy the recipe articles, and I especially love soup, so the soups article was timely. The Girl Who Wouldn't Bathe was laugh-out-loud funny because I have two kids who hate baths! (It's not a phase for them -- it's a lifestyle. ) I read the article to my almost-four-year-old and she gave it a lot of thought. She seems to understand the point of taking baths a little more now!

I enjoy research-based breastfeeding articles (like Scent of a Woman), too. The Mangos... article was great because I would love to do something like that with my kids.... maybe someday. Meanwhile I can live vicariously through the writer.

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#10 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM

I loved the Monkeys, Mangoes, and Machetes article! I had no idea that option was out there and am grateful for the resource! My DH and I want our DS to know what life is like beyond our little valley and I am excited to start looking into this option! We have both lived abroad and hadn't realized how achievable it would be to do again even with a LO. Thanks for such an inspiring article!
#11 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 PM

I LOVED this issue! I actually had to buy it at the store because I just realized my subscription ran out (I will be renewing ASAP)!

I am sooo inspired by that family who took their kids to costa rica for some volunteering and learning about organic farming. I read it to DH and now we have a similar goal/vision for our family some day!! I cannot wait to try to make some of those amazing looking soups! And the study about waiting to send your child to public school at age 6 hit the spot for me as i've been toying with the idea of holding my ds back (when the time comes) because he is only 4 days from missing the "cut off" anyway. Now I know I will wait until he turns six before I send him off to school (well, if i decide not to homeschool that is ).

The scent of a woman was amazing as well! It's so cool what our bodies can do!
I really just overall LOVED LOVED LOVED this issue! I only wish there was more! Every issue I read cover to cover many many times so quickly and always want more!!! hahah

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#12 of 16 Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVED the mangoes, monkeys, & machetes article. I was literally salivating when I was reading it, as sooo great is my desire for adventure like that. When I finished reading it, I felt as if I was a child just fresh home from summer camp... sad that it was over, but filled to the brim with sunshine, secrets, and mosquito repellent. I have a feeling that I will be reading that article over and over again whenever I'm needing a "vacation."

I made the Curried Cauliflower Bisque with Garlic Sauteed Greens.... OhMylanta that was incredible... how yummy!! Definitely a "keeper."

~..~*`*~.,.~**~: JEN :~**~...~*`*~..~
Wife to Dave; SAHM to Lily (7/07) and Nathan (10/09); One HAPPY Family
#13 of 16 Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 PM

I was laughing out loud when I read The Girl Who Wouldn't Bathe! Especially at the fact the parents started saying "I no wanna bathe!" to each other. We do the same thing at my house, so reading that we are not alone was hilarious.
#14 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post
I was laughing out loud when I read The Girl Who Wouldn't Bathe! Especially at the fact the parents started saying "I no wanna bathe!" to each other. We do the same thing at my house, so reading that we are not alone was hilarious.
my son freaks out at tub time too...but he's not a terrible two yet. just 10 months. i hope this phase passes!

overall i loves this issue also. scent of a woman was beautifully written but i liked all the veg*n friendly soups in Soupfest. i had been looking forward to them since i get a preview of the upcoming (#158) issue.

best article? news you won't get anywhere else cause i think EVERY mama, crunchy or not, should be in the know.
#15 of 16 Old 02-20-2010, 03:26 AM

For me; there were so many articles to love in this issue! Between the "Scent of a Woman" and "Dad's Golden Hour" - both were phenomenal; I think (in reference to the first of the two aforementioned) - we often forget (not necessarily the posters/readers of Mothering) how much like adults our children actually are. It was wonderful to read about the relationship formed between a mother and her infant based solely on scent; even more interesting was the notion and proof of the "breast crawl" (I hadn't heard of this prior to reading this article).

Ashely - Expecting stork-suprise.gif Home-Birthed Baby in February 2011. Full Spectrum Birth Professional.
#16 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM

I really loved the "Scent of a woman" story. I'm such a geek, I love anything that looks at the science of breastfeeding, birth, what have you. But I though that article combined science and beauty in a really nice way. I also liked the soup recipes and photos -- it's going to get really cold later on this week and I want to make that mushroom barley soup. And the no bathing article was really funny.
I think my favorite thing was that photo in the table of contents with the pretty mama nursing her baby in bed. Just lovely.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page