Need MEAT! - Mothering Forums
October 2007 > Need MEAT!
Baby Makes 4's Avatar Baby Makes 4 02:55 PM 02-09-2007
I am craving meat like crazy right now.

Our diet is mainly pastas, vegetables and grains with meat a couple times a week.

Last night we had BBQ chicken wings, Buffalo & Blue Cheese chicken wings and Sloppy Joes for dinner.

Not a single veggie to be seen. :

My family was looking at me expectantly waiting for the salad but this pregnant lady only wanted MEAT!

How wierd.

Inspired007's Avatar Inspired007 03:23 PM 02-09-2007
Sooo funny. It's sad b/c every meal I've ever wanted has had to have meat. I don't think a meal is a meal unless there is at least 8 ounces of some meat on the plate. This is sad. I wish I could crave veggies but I don't. I am much more conscious of what I put in my mouth now but I still find myself eating meat at every meal and 2/3 meals don't have a single green/orange/yellow thing in them.

It's a good thing I'm taking prenatals.

Eat your meat girl! You've earned it!
EENS's Avatar EENS 03:50 PM 02-09-2007
Listen to your body - it needs meat and the proteins and other minerals and elements it provides!
stacey2061's Avatar stacey2061 04:38 PM 02-09-2007
omg...you guys have to be kidding me...i almost puked reading this thread! lol
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 05:32 PM 02-09-2007
I'm a big meat fan. Can I join the club? I ate almost all of a large sirloin steak by myself recently, and 2 lbs of chicken wings the other day... apart from the few that I let my kids have I'm trying to get other sources of protein in, and my poor slowed-down digestive system does *not* need more meat but man oh man, even when I'm feeling sick, meat almost always sounds good.
firstkid4me's Avatar firstkid4me 06:58 PM 02-09-2007
I've been liking meat too, lol. Dh got this garlic "stuffed" ribeye (I put stuffed in quotes because it wasn't stuffed, it was encrusted, no matter what the people at the deli thought) and it was sooooooooo good. I could have eaten a whole cow that way! Dh made it a little rare (I think it was medium-rare) so it was really tasty! With dd, at the beginning of my pregnancy I ate beef well done and slowly progressed to medium/medium-rare. Dh used to joke that I craved blood when I was pg.
Baby Makes 4's Avatar Baby Makes 4 07:57 PM 02-09-2007
DH took all the leftover chicken wings to work today!

He's either very brave or very stupid. It's a good thing he's so cute.
mommy-X-2's Avatar mommy-X-2 09:57 PM 02-09-2007
we went to our favorite resturant last night and I normally have the chicken......Not last night it was steak or nothing! That and Ive been craving salty. Like tortilla chips! Yum now Im hungry
DoomaYula's Avatar DoomaYula 12:01 AM 02-10-2007
I do eat meat, but normally not very much, and ever since I found out I'm pregnant, I can't get enough. Juicy juicy red meat! Yum!

And CHEESE!

There's this Mexican restaurant in town and I just can't get enough of their fried Sonora rolled beef tacos with cheese on top. I'm salivating.
flowers 12:42 AM 02-10-2007
My first pregnancy I had been strict veg for 5 years, um that is until I wigged out at 6 mos and ate rare red meat like it was going out of style!

And this time it is the same...we eat very healthy, lots of grains, veggies, beans etc...but all I want is meat, cheese and bread (gluten-free for me).

So weird but it is the only food that makes me feel good.
Aeress's Avatar Aeress 12:01 PM 02-10-2007
I am not really into meat, which is normal for me. Give me oranges, brocolli, taters, green beans. *yummy* I just can't stomach much meat in early pregnancy.
sanguine_speed's Avatar sanguine_speed 03:48 PM 02-10-2007
Funny thread! I, too, have been craving meat and cheese! And I normally eat meat only rarely, and almost never beef. Now, Dairy Queen's flamethrower burger is my favourite (bacon, cheese AND beef, plus hot sauce all in one!) .

My waistline has paid dearly.
mama_daba's Avatar mama_daba 05:15 PM 02-10-2007
i have been a vegan for 5 or6 years now and am wondering if i will start craving meat and if i do crave it if i will eat it or not. so far no craving for any animal products but massive craving for food high in protein. also i dreamed i ate half a chicken but i woke up and was starving i think that dream was more about being hungry than wanting meat. my partner is making me brunch right now with lots and lots of protein!!
sanguine_speed's Avatar sanguine_speed 10:00 PM 02-10-2007
My completely non-scientific but good-sense theory is that the meat and cheese cravings are brought on by an increased need for protein and fat, as perceived by our bodies because we are pregnant. Thing is, I have plenty of fat especially for the baby, but I think we're automatically programmed to seek fat and protein along with the other changes in our bodies. Basic biological signals maybe?
Though, I don't crave beans. There goes my protein theory .

Maybe it's the combination of fat and protein and iron in red meat or something? And fat/protein in cheese? I think it also helps our tummies to slow down absorption of simple carbs, and helps with the nausea that's brought on by the hormonal changes? Again, all non-scientific (but could make sense!).
Baby Makes 4's Avatar Baby Makes 4 11:54 PM 02-10-2007
I think it might be iron.

I have been anemic in the past and I am getting that same slow-motion, exhausted, slow reflexes feeling that I get when my iron is low.

Makes sense since this is the time when our blood volume is increasing by 25%.
sanguine_speed's Avatar sanguine_speed 02:26 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
I think it might be iron.

I have been anemic in the past and I am getting that same slow-motion, exhausted, slow reflexes feeling that I get when my iron is low.

Makes sense since this is the time when our blood volume is increasing by 25%.
Yes, potentially. But then why not molasses or beans or fish or pumpkin seeds or dried fruit?
mama_daba's Avatar mama_daba 02:41 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Yes, potentially. But then why not molasses or beans or fish or pumpkin seeds or dried fruit?
a friend of mine found this web page that lists what different cravings can mean (doesn't say what meat cravings mean though)

http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
Baby Makes 4's Avatar Baby Makes 4 03:46 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I never craved those things when I was anemic either. Probably because they are not a part of my every day diet.
wildgarden's Avatar wildgarden 08:05 PM 02-11-2007
I've become absolutely obsessed with cheese (and sweets).
MOMGOTSPUNK's Avatar MOMGOTSPUNK 08:23 PM 02-11-2007
I want beef right now. I am trying to figure out how I can make a meal and have me eat all meat, and nothing else. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :
Baby Makes 4's Avatar Baby Makes 4 08:54 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMGOTSPUNK View Post
I want beef right now. I am trying to figure out how I can make a meal and have me eat all meat, and nothing else. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :

*psst* Sloppy Joes and chicken wings. Skip the bun.
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 09:11 PM 02-11-2007
I was thinking of sloppy joes for dinner, and thought of this thread, and then realized the hamburger is frozen. All of our meat is frozen right now. I'll compromise and make fried egg sandwiches for dinner. I just spent some time googling recipes.... chicken wings, bbq chicken, and fried rice with meat.
Baby Makes 4's Avatar Baby Makes 4 09:24 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
I was thinking of sloppy joes for dinner, and thought of this thread, and then realized the hamburger is frozen. All of our meat is frozen right now. I'll compromise and make fried egg sandwiches for dinner. I just spent some time googling recipes.... chicken wings, bbq chicken, and fried rice with meat.
I have a great sloppy joe recipe for tomorrow if you want it.

2 pounds ground beef

1/2 onion chopped
1 stick celery chopped

1 can condesed tomato soup
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TBSP vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Brown beef, drain fat
Add onion & celery, cook for a few mintues
Add everything else, cook and stir until it's hot and thick.

Yum!
Up