progesterone supplements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just heard from my doc about my progesterone tests from last week (5 weeks). They were at 13, and they want them at 15, so I'm going to start taking supplements asap. What do you know about progesterone supplements?
Thanks.
#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 AM

I am on progesterone shots through week ten of my pregnancy because I conceived through IVF, and the clinic takes no chances. Also, the meds throw your system off enough that it is a good idea to supplement. At first I felt some minor side effects from them - nausea mostly, and a little constipation, both of which quicky disappeared when the HCG levels started rising. Other than the fact that the daily shot is a pain in the butt - pun very much intended - I really don't notice the supplements in my life.

I know that there are vaginal progesterone suppositories you can also take. I believe they are less money than the shots, but, imo, they are a heck of a lot more hassle. Imagine having to do a yeast infection medication every night for weeks on end. The one cycle I used them I was sore and irritated and they make a huge mess. When given a choice the next cycle, I chose the shot. But that is just me. Also, now that my pg is confirmed, the clinic is going to put me on time release progesterone, which is one shot per week. I did that with dd, and it worked beautifully. Again, imo far less hassle than the suppositories.

Ok, that is about all I know. I do think there are other forms of supplementation out there, but I have not had to learn about them. I know there are other ladies on this board who are supplementing, so maybe they can jump in and fill in my gaps.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 AM

I took prog supp w/ my all of my pgs and this time my level went from 11.5 to 11 in 2 days. I am on them this time as well, but only since the level dropped (last week), I have a different re this time. The thing you might want to remember with progesterone suppositories is they are vaginal suppositories, and the progesterone is absorbed through your vaginal/uterine wall and though it makes it to its destination and is believed to do its job it may not be evident in your blood stream ( for blood tests). My midwife explained it to me that way. Maybe ask your doc about that?
I am on the supplements, at night I put them in before I go to sleep for the night, that way they stay in and absorb but the medium the prog is in is white and milky, and messy .
My first pee of the morning looks like a yellow bubble bath too .
If you use the suppositories you'll see what I mean .

Also~ I've had some side effects but luckily have never had pain like Dena.
I haven't found it too be such a hassle, messy~ yes, a little inconvenient~ yes, but I don't think its such a big deal really. By morning the prog is absorbed and the medium/leakage factor is easily wiped away and I take a shower each morning anyway. It doesn't smell like anything and really its only intil week 12 or so.
But thats just my take : .
And fwiw my prog level~ medicated or not has never read more than 13.5 with bloodwork. My pgs with my dd and ds and both losses were all prog suppositories. My m/c were not progesterone related I have been told.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#4 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post
My first pee of the morning looks like a yellow bubble bath too .
If you use the suppositories you'll see what I mean .
mine does too. How funny!

I am on progesterone supplements too. My number at 6w5d was 12.5, and the doctors wanted it to be 15 or above. I started 200mg suppositories every night and test a week later at 22.3. The doctors are thrilled. The pills are a bit of a hassle, they are very messy, and they make me very very sleepy. The sleepy bit is a good thing for me because I usually have issues with insomnia, but I also walk around like a zombie during the day. I wear a thin cloth pad during the day to keep the mess off of my clothes, but thats about all I have to do extra. I will start weaning off them at 12 or 13 weeks, or when the doctors tell me it is time.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM

My pee looks like a yellow bubble bath too. How funny! :
I am also on the vaginal suppositories. Everything I have read states they have proven to be the most effective when starting after a confirmed pregnancy. I do know that no matter what you do not want to go on prometrium.My midwives and alot of doctors try to push that but they are the least effective. I hope you find something that works for you .
#6 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Hey girls... jumping right in here if you don't mind.

I was on crinone 8% progesterone gel with my last pregnancy... they came in prefilled applicators. It was pretty yucky... did it each night, and it came out like clumpy yuck the next morning and through the day. It caused some cervical irritation... sometimes it would come back out orange or pink because of it.

This time, for whatever reason, they didn't put me on crinone, but put me on suppositories that look like little bullets. Know what I mean? They are just listed as progesterone... no official name. They are 90mg each, like the crinone. Anyone know anything about these?
#7 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaco View Post
Hey girls... jumping right in here if you don't mind.

I was on crinone 8% progesterone gel with my last pregnancy... they came in prefilled applicators. It was pretty yucky... did it each night, and it came out like clumpy yuck the next morning and through the day. It caused some cervical irritation... sometimes it would come back out orange or pink because of it.

This time, for whatever reason, they didn't put me on crinone, but put me on suppositories that look like little bullets. Know what I mean? They are just listed as progesterone... no official name. They are 90mg each, like the crinone. Anyone know anything about these?
That is what I am on except mine are 200mg. Thay are a little messy in the morning but not too bad. They are supposed to be one of the best ways for your body to absorb the prog. Good luck with everything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page