Monistat STRESS! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a yeast infection so I bought some Monistat 7 day treatment and I'm on my 4th day when I turned the tube around to read that it should NOT be used in pregnancy. I thought I read all the warnings! I find futher that it shouldn't be used in the first trimester of pregnancy. I haven't had morning sickness for the last few days and now I'm really stressing that I've done something to harm my baby. I have a regular Dr apt for a bump behind my ear tomorrow so hopefully I can talk to him.
#2 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 AM

How scary to read that after you have already been using it. I searched on-line a bit for you and this is what I found (and stole). I hope it is comforting.

Follow up reports on infants born to 167 of 263 pregnant patients (some follow-up reports are not yet available) who participated in North American clinical evaluations of miconazole nitrate 2% cream administered in a 14-day regimen, and infants born to 26 pregnant patients who participated in European and North American clinical evaluations of miconazole nitrate 100 mg suppositories, described no complications or adverse effects attributed to this therapeutic agent. Nevertheless, since miconazole nitrate is absorbed in small amounts from the human vagina, Monistat vaginal preparations should not be used by pregnant or nursing women unless the physician considers it essential to the welfare of the patient.
#3 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenwithin View Post
How scary to read that after you have already been using it. I searched on-line a bit for you and this is what I found (and stole). I hope it is comforting.

Follow up reports on infants born to 167 of 263 pregnant patients (some follow-up reports are not yet available) who participated in North American clinical evaluations of miconazole nitrate 2% cream administered in a 14-day regimen, and infants born to 26 pregnant patients who participated in European and North American clinical evaluations of miconazole nitrate 100 mg suppositories, described no complications or adverse effects attributed to this therapeutic agent. Nevertheless, since miconazole nitrate is absorbed in small amounts from the human vagina, Monistat vaginal preparations should not be used by pregnant or nursing women unless the physician considers it essential to the welfare of the patient.
Thank you for looking. It does make me feel better.
#4 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 03:07 AM

my doc told me to use it during my first pregnancy. She was explicit about it being the 7 day treatment, though, said it was a weaker formulation. I was in my third trimester, though. That is scary. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, though, based on that study. Yeast infections are the pits. I'm sorry.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#5 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Anytime something like this happens, there is almost always a 24 hour pharmacy hotline that you can call and talk to a pharmacist. I've been bugging my pharmacists almost non-stop asking them about this or that since I got a BFP. They're probably tired of hearing about it, but usually they know more about the drugs than the doctors do.

Also, when I went to my OB for my brief visit, they handed me a bunch of paperwork, including an info sheet for something called the "Pregnancy Exposure Info Line". This is what it says on the paper they gave me:
Quote:
The Pregnancy Exposure Infoline is a telephone information service which offers pregnant women, the general public, and health care providers practical information about risks during pregnancy from exposures to various agents such as medications, drugs, and chemicals. The Infoline is part of the National Birth Defects Center and is staffed by physicians, geneticists, and Health Educators who have special training to address concerns about exposures during pregnancy that could be harmful to the fetus.
The number is 1-800-322-5014. I haven't called, but I'm sure at some point I will.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#6 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Oh crap, I just called dh to pick me up the 3 day. I've been trying homeopathics for a week now and I'm miserable. I've also been using some left over cream - that comes with the monistat for the external symptoms...
#7 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Well I found this:
Monistat is a benign medication with minimal systemic absorption properties. Although the manufacturer recommends waiting until the second or third trimester, it is probably safe to use at any point in the pregnancy. I know of many midwives and physicians who prescribe it even in the first trimester. I hope this helps. http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...e_3pmd,00.html
#8 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 02:25 PM

And this from the monistat website:
Treating Your Yeast Infection
If you are pregnant, or think you may be, it's important to see your doctor before using any medication. However, if your doctor determines that you do have a yeast infection, it's comforting to know MONISTAT* miconazole nitrate is one of the few medications gentle and effective enough to be safely used throughout all three trimesters. http://monistat.ca/english/advice_pregnancy.html
#9 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 PM

My last PG I was told I could use either the 7 or 5 day Monistat. And I did
#10 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 PM

I used monistat in my previous pregnancies. It's better to treat the infection than to let it get worse. You'll be JUST fine.
#11 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 PM

My doctor in my last pregnancy recommended it. My midwife this time has also said it's ok.
#12 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM

I had recurrent infections with DD and I think the dr told me to use monistat as well. I was in my 2nd or 3rd trimester though. I'd called your dr if you had questions. It's probably fine though! Warnings are put on almost any med now because companies want to be protected if something does come up later.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#13 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Just chiming in from another DDC add to the "I used it during my first trimester on both doctor and midwife advice" chorus.

My favorite warning I found about it online was some silly precaution about the applicator!!! Like I am THAT imcompetent... ??
#14 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Not in your DC, but I saw the title and wanted to chime in!

I had a raging and constant yeast infection with my dd..it did not clear up until she was born. I used monistat several times during that pregnancy and it was fine. My midwife told me it was fine to take it.

I also used it this pregnancy (only once so far--thankfully..) on direction from my midwife.

As a pp poster said, both midwives i have had did specify the 7-day kind though.

Try not to worry!!
#15 of 17 Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife told me I could take it when I was pregnant for my son but that was my second or third trimester. I had a doctor's apt this morning for a bump behind my ear and asked my Dr about it. He said to stop using it that at least it was the 7 day (which is milder) but not to do that anymore. He said there just haven't been enough studies done. He said it really isn't even nessasary to do an ultrasound or blood test that he is sure it didn't harm the baby. I had been taking Grapefruit seed extract pills twice a day but ran out GSE works great for me so I need to get some more of that. Thanks for all the support. :
#16 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Sounds like a cautious doctor - that's good. I'm doing the 3 day. It's already working, so happy for some relief! I try to use those Yeast Guard homeopathic suppositories, but it just didn't work. Nothing natural has worked for me during pregnancy. I need to get smoothie making supplies - it's the only way I can force myself to eat yogurt. (Don't even talk to me about keifer - yuck!)
#17 of 17 Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

the 7 day treatments are on the OK list from my OB.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page