nursing bras - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
K, I know this is sort of being discussed already, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good nursing bras. I bought 2 today from target- they have a whole new series out and most are soft and comfy.
I don't usually wear a bra at all, (36A not pg, 38B pg) but all of a sudden I started worrying about sagging. so I found one that seemed comfy and I swear it's bugged the heck out of me all day! I'm taking the other back.

Here's a link I found- haven't bought anything from them but the styles are nice.

http://www.passionspice.com

and another link for how to fit a bra

http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading...s/fitting.html
#2 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 PM

I was NOT happy with the nursing bras and tanks at target.

I love my Blue Canoe bras. It's the ONLY thing that has gotten me through pregnancy and nursing! They are organic cotten/spandex and are the crossover style, easier than the claspy thing. It feels like you're not wearing anything.

I'm also an A that jumps to a C while pregnant and nursing.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#3 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM

www.breakoutbras.com apparently does a REALLY good job explaining how to measure properly!

I'm at least a C normally, have no clue what I'll jump to after my milk comes in -- I'm anticipating a W or X

Right now I'm wearing a bestform nursing bra from WalMart : but it gives ZERO support and I feel saggy.

I'm going to get a Bravado nursing bra this week.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 PM

I like the Bravado nursing bras but I don't feel like they give much support. I get really big in the chest while pg and nursing and I need the support. I'll be looking for something different this time!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#5 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 10:47 PM

I wear Blue Canoe bras at night and my Target tanks during the day. I hated the exposed flank while nursing. Too cold! The Target tanks are nicely supportive (I'm currently a D cup) and keep me toasty. I had two blue canoe's for the birth of DD and now I have worn them right through. I will definitely get more.
#6 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM

I love the bestform bras from Target. It is the most supportive and comfortable bra I've tried. I hated Target's and I didn't care for Bravado's either. I get the ones that don't have a wire.
#7 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I've never even heard of Blue Canoe.
Guess I am off to research more.
thanks for the recommendations, mamas!
#8 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 PM

I went with Motherhood nursing bras, with underwire. Some had lining (fiberfill) and others were just thin cotton. All were very, very comfy and easy to operate! I know that some women love underwire, and others hate it- I'm one of the lovers- I didn't have any issues such as plugged ducts, etc. These were great.
#9 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalara View Post
I went with Motherhood nursing bras, with underwire. Some had lining (fiberfill) and others were just thin cotton. All were very, very comfy and easy to operate! I know that some women love underwire, and others hate it- I'm one of the lovers- I didn't have any issues such as plugged ducts, etc. These were great.
I love my Motherhood bras -- the lightly padded ones. But they don't make them without the underwire (which I hate) so I just cut the wires out. I've been in them for a couple years now and am pleased.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#10 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Good topic! I have no helpful advice, as this is my first and I'm still in regular bras.

I'm bigger chested (and bitter butted, but that's not relevant)... I'm a 32DD/34D normally, and now I'm being able to get some 34 DDs to work. But, they are continuing to grow so I'm looking for some comfy support, especially that will work when I'm nursing. Preferably ones that I can wear normal shirts with too! Not so high in the middle that I have to wear crew necks.
#11 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM

since my breasts are to big for all my bras i ordered the blue canoe one and it is so comfortable i love it and plan to order more of them. i also love blue canoe clothing have been wearing there clothes for years

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#12 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 AM

Are the Blue Canoe bras supportive? Which style is the best?

And has anyone come across a good sports bra for nursing mamas? Not necessarily something I can nurse in but something that won't smush my chest and possibly jeopardize my supply!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#13 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 AM

Hi, I've been MIA. Can't make it over here very often, but I thought I'd jump in here.

lol. I wear Bestform from Wally World too. It's the only nursing bra with enough support for me. I had an upper back injury several years ago and I must have lots of support or else I'm in a lot of pain.

I'd suggest Bravado for those wanting a bit more freedom I used to wear them pre-injury. They were so comfy I even got a comment from a co-worker. He said he could tell I was still nursing because I was very, ahem, jiggly. I'd think they'd work well for those that are blessed with less jiggle though.

HTH,

Julie
#14 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 PM

All you ladies with your small ta-tas, I'm so jealous. I'm a 32FF when not pregnant, and I just got fitted last week and am now a 36G. All my bras are specialty and usually imported. I haven't been able to buy a bra at a regular store in five years or so. And all my bras have wires in them.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#15 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Aylaane, I just saw your post and wondered if you'd ever looked at Decent Exposures? They make underwireless bras to order. All of my hard to fit friends use them, for regular bras and nursing.

They are very similar to Blue Canoe.
#16 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 PM

You're worse than me! Sorry - being small around with bigger ta-tas really sucks. I always end up with the $60 from Nordstrom, since they're the only store with that size that aren't either hideous or uncomfortable... I'm hoping that being bigger around will make it a bit easier to find them. I need to head out to our "nursing" specialty store a town over - maybe they have some I can find that are comfy. I am really nervous about online bras since bras so seldom fit me well, even if sized correctly. I drive bra-fitters crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
All you ladies with your small ta-tas, I'm so jealous. I'm a 32FF when not pregnant, and I just got fitted last week and am now a 36G. All my bras are specialty and usually imported. I haven't been able to buy a bra at a regular store in five years or so. And all my bras have wires in them.
#17 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 PM

I'm a blue canoe crossover fan, too.
#18 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
You're worse than me! Sorry - being small around with bigger ta-tas really sucks. I always end up with the $60 from Nordstrom, since they're the only store with that size that aren't either hideous or uncomfortable... I'm hoping that being bigger around will make it a bit easier to find them. I need to head out to our "nursing" specialty store a town over - maybe they have some I can find that are comfy. I am really nervous about online bras since bras so seldom fit me well, even if sized correctly. I drive bra-fitters crazy.
Another one here who's small around but big-chested. I am normally a 32D. About 6 weeks ago, I bought a 34DD Wacoal from Nordstrom (~$55, but this is my normal brand, and I LOVE it). I got it home and put it on the next day, and it was too small! I swear I had grown overnight!

So, I'm really reluctant to purchase a nursing bra yet, for fear that I'll get bigger still. But, I really need a new bra or 2, as the 2 I'm currently working with are getting less comfortable by the day. Do I move to a nursing bra at this point? What do I look for that has lots of support? I like underwires. I'm willing to spend the money for something that is supportive, comfortable, and well-made.

(I looked at the Blue Canoe webpage. Those don't look like bras to me - they look like workout tanks or things to wear to sleep in. Do they really provide support?)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#19 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostery View Post
Aylaane, I just saw your post and wondered if you'd ever looked at Decent Exposures? They make underwireless bras to order. All of my hard to fit friends use them, for regular bras and nursing.

They are very similar to Blue Canoe.
I went to the Bare Necessities boutique in Springfield last week and they measured me and I got three new bras for the low low cost of....$131. That was less than my new kitten's vet bill yesterday. Two bras were $48, the third was $38 I think, don't do the math I'm pregnant and it could have been different but who cares. Anyways, after that, I'm on a bra diet for a while. Three bras can last me quite a bit.

And I checked, my new nursing bra doesn't have a wire in it. It does, however, have four (!) hooks.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#20 of 25 Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Anita 5041. This bra is the bomb!!!

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#21 of 25 Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammycakes View Post
Here's a link I found- haven't bought anything from them but the styles are nice.

http://www.passionspice.com
Those are so cute!!! its too bad I can't wear those sizes. I am a little.... blessed in the cleavage department.

I use to have huge trouble finding bras. I get my nursing bras online, but for bras that fit large cup sizes while not nursing I have found lanebryant the place to go. They have super cute bras in tons of styles and patterns for a very reasonable price. Their online store has even more sizes that the physical store. I think that it is so great to be able to find bras that fit for 35$ or less in more that just white. I actually like going shopping for undies now.

Right now though I am busting out of all of my bras. I just get bigger and bigger in the cup size. I am have already outgrown the larger bras that I bought to help me make it through pregnancy. Oh well. I have to make them work even if they are uncomfortable. I guess that in a few weeks I remeasure and order my first round of nursing bras.

I have no choice really. I have to wear bras- it is very uncomfortable and obvious if I do not wear one. I will probably have to buy another round of nursing bras after the babe is born, but I can live with that. My breast are huge, but they are also magical milk makers, so I love them at any size.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#22 of 25 Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemommie View Post
I love the bestform bras from Target. It is the most supportive and comfortable bra I've tried. I hated Target's and I didn't care for Bravado's either. I get the ones that don't have a wire.
LOL! That should read that I love the bras from WALMART and hate the ones from Target!:
#23 of 25 Old 05-26-2007, 01:23 PM

My boobies are huge.... I have yet to buy new nursing bras. I'm about 42 DDD and wore Bravados for the most part in the past but plan to check out decent exposures too. I agree with whoever said the Bravados weren't incredibly supportive for large breasted women...
That said~ I'm psyched for new bras and CANNOT WAIT to be nursing another little one!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#24 of 25 Old 05-27-2007, 07:06 AM

Hammy-

I am small chested too. I wear a 34 A in my regular life. I also hate bras. When I was nursing last time I went up to a full 36 B and I was so excited! I felt busty for the first time in my life, how lame is that?! Anyway, I started wearing cotton camisoles(the kind with built in shelf bras) a lot. They are super comfy, pretty supportive( if you're not to big up top, like us), and they were awesome for nursing. I would put another regular tank top on top, then I would pull the top one up and the underneath one down. I found it to be easier than messing with clasps and such. I was also reasonably cool, and that was in the Florida summer. I know that are actually "nursing camisoles" as well, but the regular ones worked great for me.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#25 of 25 Old 05-27-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

That's a really good idea about shelf bra tank tops. I have yet to see any "nursing wear" that I like- it all seems very frumpy. I think with the last one I ended up buying a lot of loose button down type shirts. Funny how I can't remember now..
Anyway,I feel quite well endowed as a B, too! It's funny...on the other hand I can wear stuff cut down to my belly button and not feel like I'm exposing myself, so I try to consider that the bright side of being small up top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page