Having a hard time with names..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having a boy and we cannot agree on a name for him! His middle name will be David (hubbys name) but his first name is killing us. I don't like popular names, I want him to have a different name......I don't want him to be the 4th or 5th boy in his class with the same name. I know we still have time but it is on my mind daily!

Can anyone relate??

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#2 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Theo
Otto
Micah
Ezekiel
Milo
Rowan

All names my dh shot down. Someone should get them. Why not you?
#3 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Well, we don't know if it's a boy or girl. We have ONE girls name, which, unfortunately is shared with a current cartoon princess. We're not wedded to it, but it will work if we don't come up with anything else.

Boys names? We have none. DH keeps suggesting things like Balthazar and Octavius and other ancient Greek/Roman/mythology characters. I pointed out that we would never likely get to an "Octavius." (I'd have to have one after this one, then an "oops" pregnancy that turned out to be septuplets. THEN, I'd let him use Octavius.) He's been doing this for as long as I've known him. I figured out only a few months ago for certain that he was kidding.

He will want a somewhat unique name, as he is the only one we can find with his name. But, it won't be completely made-up or anything like that. We have a big family gathering (his side) this weekend, and someone is bringing a huge family tree. I'm going to troll it for name possibilities.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM

I can certainly relate. We're clueless when it comes to names. We 'tested' various names on our DD for 3 days last time until our midwife came back to fill out the birth certificate, I have a feeling this one will be similar!

Wishing both of us some name dust!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#5 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Alan, Carl, Theodore, Wesley, Lawrence, Rodney, Eric,
#6 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Theo
Otto
Micah
Ezekiel
Milo
Rowan

Well in that case, here are some my DH won't go for that I like:
Colin
Tristan
Adam
Julian
Elliott
Samuel
Charles (Charlie) (only because it's DS's middle name)

Yes, it is possible with any of these names, he may one day meet someone with the same name, but with boy names, I find it hard to avoid, unless you make something up, which isn't my style personally, esp. for boys. I like classic names. And I think these would all sound nice with David (which I also like, except we both have uncles by this name, but aren't close enough to them to actually name a child after them, you know?
#7 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Oh, I feel for this babe, because DH and I are not into the whole name game like we were for DD. We have our list from last time, but don't like most of those names this time. So we'll see what happens when we meet this babe...took us 3 days to name DD, who knows how long this naming will take

All that said I love the names:
Ezeikel, call him Zeke
Micah

DH made a good point when we were looking at names...his name is Andrew and he has only been in a "same name" situation one or 2 times...and his is a hugely popular name...so go with what you like and it will be OK
#8 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM

I know the feeling! It took us almost my entire pregnancy to come up with DS name. And now, as much fun as another boy would be, I am hoping for a girl, cause we can't agree on any boy names.
#9 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Theo
Otto
Micah
Ezekiel
Milo
Rowan

My DH shot down Micah, too. I absolutely adore that name!!
#10 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 PM

we're going with david as a middle name too after dh, and i really like aaron david

we're still deciding though, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#11 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Wilson (willy)
Clayton
Benjamin
Maxwell

Those are a few on my list. A few of them I can't use b/c they are already taken. Boy names are really tough for me.
#12 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 PM

We have a few girl names~ a short list of maybes. And NOT ONE BOY"S NAME. Not one.
We are not finding out gender so we'll have to have a few of each to see what fits. I supppose it'll come to us .

I hope so anyway .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#13 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggesstions! Girls names were easy, we had 2 picked out before the ultrasound.....these darm boys names!!

Last night I mentioned David Richard to DH and he liked it. Richard was my fathers name, hence my name....Rikki! My only issue is would he feel funny later being named after mommy (sorta)? Also, then we would have Dave (dad) and David (son) in the house!

We are also thinking William David (after my grandfather, his given name is Billy). The only issue there is that William is the #1 name in Georgia!!

Maybe I am over thinking everything! I should just go with what we like and forget the popularity!!

#14 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post

Last night I mentioned David Richard to DH and he liked it. Richard was my fathers name, hence my name....Rikki! My only issue is would he feel funny later being named after mommy (sorta)? Also, then we would have Dave (dad) and David (son) in the house!
If it makes you feel any better, my SIL Kacey just named her new baby boy Caisen.
#15 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I left out of that post that my dad was killed 8 moths before I was born in an accident. So, I was named after him......with that, I am either going to honor my father or my grandfather (who has been my 'father' since birth I was even born on his birthday!) and I hate being torn between the two!

#16 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM

I know how you feel. The way I have decided on what to name ours is non conventional. But for what it's worth, here goes. Okay. I do believe in reincarnation and I've tried to do astral projection with limited success. It may sound kooky but here is what I did. I was meditating one night before bed, and I was trying to communicate in my mind with whatever spirit will be incarnated into this one. I didn't expect any reply and was half asleep, and I asked the spirit what they wanted their name to be. The name that came to my mind (it was in my 'inner voice') and it came out of nowhere. The name is "Jared", which I haven't heard for years. Sooooooo, that is what I will name him. My DH wants to name him Ralph, but I don't really want that name for him. So, that's my story, may sound kinda freaky to some, but that is how I came up with the babys name.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#17 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always forget that my DS2's mn is David. (It was a last-minute decision and not my absolute favorite name, but it worked for a variety of reasons.)

Anyhow... his name is Iain David. Iain/Ian is not all that popular - especially with our spelling. Which is not made up - it's the gaelic version.

I have NO clue what we'll do for a name if we end up with a boy this time! We are so far from having any good name choices! For a girl, I'm pretty well set after having a name picked out last time.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Boys names? We have none. DH keeps suggesting things like Balthazar and Octavius and other ancient Greek/Roman/mythology characters. I pointed out that we would never likely get to an "Octavius." (I'd have to have one after this one, then an "oops" pregnancy that turned out to be septuplets. THEN, I'd let him use Octavius.) He's been doing this for as long as I've known him. I figured out only a few months ago for certain that he was kidding.

Haha! Yours too?! Dh has been after me to name a boy either Androcles or Oscar for years. I am not even going to metion Balthazar and Octavius - he would just add those to the list!

In response to the OP, I have always liked either Nathan or Nathaniel, but got shot down on those because dh has an uncle that he is none too fond of with a similar name.

A old custom - I believe it is Jewish - which we will use for at least one of these babes, is using the first initial of a loved one's name to honor that person in naming a baby. My father's name was Ernest, which he was never fond of, (me either) so we are going with another "E" name.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#19 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 06:14 PM

I can totally understand! We have 5 girl names we both like, 2 that we love and all that we agree on. We have NO boy names that we agree on. He keeps vetoing everything.
#20 of 22 Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 PM

I'm having a girl (yay!), but I had several boys names that I liked. And very, very few girls names!!! My dh finally liked Michaela, but knows someone with that name that he can't stand so shot that down.

I love the name Ethan - recognizable, but not common (at least around here). Michah is really nice too. I also adore the name Renton, which isn't an established first name but if it had been a boy I would have seriously considered it.
#21 of 22 Old 05-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post

I love the name Ethan - recognizable, but not common (at least around here). Michah is really nice too. I also adore the name Renton, which isn't an established first name but if it had been a boy I would have seriously considered it.
Yes, it can depend a lot on region -- I believe Ethan is the number one name in Canada right now, very popular. A good name though, that's why. Anyway, so hard to know, esp. as of course you won't know if you give your child the number one name until after you've named him/her and the lists come out LOL And of course, people move, so even if it's not popular one place...I say go for what you love, try not to worry about popularity. Liam wasn't popular when we picked it years ago, before we had him, keeps getting more so, and yet, we haven't met another in person. Yet.
#22 of 22 Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with boy names! I find boy names really difficult to pick. My boys are called Alexander and William. Their middle names come from family names. Practically everyone in both our famillies is named Thomas, so that is Alexanders middle name. William has John - which was one of my grandads names, my dads middle name and my brothers name. He also has Michael for a middle name, since dh thought he would be our last baby he wanted to get his name in there too. So if we have a boy I think it will be something pretty simple and traditional. But what? I don't know! Both boys names were a real struggle to pick. Here in Scotland you have to register the birth within 3 weeks. We always end up going in at 2 weeks 6 days because we couldn't find something we agreed on. And by then we are used to calling our baby "Baby"

This time I really really want to use Felix as a boy name. Probably mad, as there is a brand of cat food here called Felix And it just reminds people of cats in general. Dh has a film he likes to watch where one of the main characters is called Felix, and he's less than nice! But about a year ago we were having really big financial problems (still are!) and I dreamed of having twin boys (glad it was just a dream!) called Felix and Kaspar. Later I looked up the names and they meant Prosperous and Treasurer. So I took it as some kind of sign. The name Felix has just stuck with me.

And rik8144, I don't think its weird to name a son after his mother. Here in Scotland it is an old tradition that a boy gets his mothers maiden name as a middle name. Not many people do it nowadays though. It was tradition if you had a girl, to name her after the father and add Ina onto the end of it. I used to work in a pharmacy and lots the older patients were called Jamesina, Thomasina, Davidina, Georgina Williamina etc. No one really does that nowadays either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page