Wow, you learn something new every day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading some posts on a myspace board and someone said this:

Quote:
Also, if you insert a fresh clove of garlic vaginally every night for 2 weeks, ill guarantee that your next strep B test will come out negative.
I'm not sure if it's true, but I know that raw garlic has a lot of amazing properties. I've never dealt with strep B, but for those mamas who have it, maybe this is something to look into?
#2 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 AM

Yes, I have heard that. Also, taking probiotics seems to help.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM

I wouldn't guarantee anything, but that is supposed to help. We'll be doing that kind of thing before my GBS test, whenever that is.
#4 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Well, it works for yeast infections, so it's probably worth a shot! From my experience, though, it can be hard to, um.... retrieve the garlic at times. I imagine that during pregnancy that's even more true.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#5 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Well, it works for yeast infections, so it's probably worth a shot! From my experience, though, it can be hard to, um.... retrieve the garlic at times. I imagine that during pregnancy that's even more true.
Can you imagine asking your dh for help?
#6 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM

Then again, it can just fall out. I thought I lost a clove up there a month or so ago. After about 3 days, DH bends down in the bedroom and says, "What is this on the floor?...Is this a clove of garlic? How'd that get in here?"

Um, thanks sweetie. That's mine; I'll take care of it...

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 03:23 PM

i have always used it for yeast infections. i put it in at night time and when i wake up in the morning and pee it always falls out. if it doesn't fall out i can kinda bare down and it usually does or at least moves down. and um this is probably tmi but i think i am pretty shallow in that region and i'm rather erm tight but that doesn't keep the garlic from moving out on it's own.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#8 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my midwife does that along with having you take a LOT of acidophilus.

She told me to wrap the clove in gauze, dip in olive oil, and insert.
#9 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Yup, heard of that too! Also I'm told by my MW that you can do rinses with Hibiclens solution to eradicate any GBS, too. I'd guess that with a combination of Hibiclens, garlic, vit C and probiotics that one could pretty well eliminate the GBS!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 24 Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM

I wouldn't doubt it, since garlic oil in the ear will cure any ear infection overnight. Just be sure to stay away from any bedroom activities, because that would be a really yucky surprise for DH if he were...um...exploring
#11 of 24 Old 06-16-2007, 03:11 AM

: Hmmm...how come I have not heard this before? I have used the probiotics (vaginally) before.

How many nights do you use it for yeast?
#12 of 24 Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 AM

Or you could always refuse the GBS test. :

HeatherB, I'm not sure you can fully eradicate GBS, but many hb mw's have a labor protocol for GBS+ moms who don't want abx that includes probiotics and hibiclens to minimize the risk.

Not that the risk of GBS isn't small anyway, but that's another thread.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#13 of 24 Old 06-16-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
From my experience, though, it can be hard to, um.... retrieve the garlic at times. I imagine that during pregnancy that's even more true.
I wrap it in dental floss so it cuts into the garlic to release the juices and make extra cuts for the same purposes. String hangs out of course.
#14 of 24 Old 06-16-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Or you could always refuse the GBS test. :

HeatherB, I'm not sure you can fully eradicate GBS, but many hb mw's have a labor protocol for GBS+ moms who don't want abx that includes probiotics and hibiclens to minimize the risk.

Not that the risk of GBS isn't small anyway, but that's another thread.
Ah, yes, poor choice of words. Let's just say that you can test negative after treatments with Hibiclens, at the least! I didn't do the GBS test with my 2nd and intend to decline with this one, too. I'll see what my MW's opinion is on it at the time. I know she feels much better about possibly testing when one can also work on the infection at home if necessary!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#15 of 24 Old 06-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenwithin View Post
: Hmmm...how come I have not heard this before? I have used the probiotics (vaginally) before.

How many nights do you use it for yeast?
I use this because during pregnancy I get some mean yeast infections. I take a clove of garlic and run my knife along the edges so some extra juice gets out. Then I insert it as far as I can and go to bed. In the morning I will bear down and it brings the clove down far enough where I can grab it and pull it out. I use this about 4 nights in a row and then on the 5th do some major probiotics vaginally and orally.
I've never had a problem with any falling out or getting stuck. They always stay just where I put them. That might be because I go right to bed and usually take them out within an hour or two of getting up.
#16 of 24 Old 06-17-2007, 12:44 AM

I had a plantar wart issue on my toe long ago, I tried several home remedies, one of them was to put garlic on it.... the garlic ate a big painful hole into my toe! The plantar wart remained. I would be very fearful of putting garlic in my vagina!
#17 of 24 Old 06-17-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemommie View Post
I use this because during pregnancy I get some mean yeast infections. I take a clove of garlic and run my knife along the edges so some extra juice gets out. Then I insert it as far as I can and go to bed. In the morning I will bear down and it brings the clove down far enough where I can grab it and pull it out. I use this about 4 nights in a row and then on the 5th do some major probiotics vaginally and orally.
I've never had a problem with any falling out or getting stuck. They always stay just where I put them. That might be because I go right to bed and usually take them out within an hour or two of getting up.
How do you do probiotics vaginally?
#18 of 24 Old 06-17-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayn View Post

I had a plantar wart issue on my toe long ago, I tried several home remedies, one of them was to put garlic on it.... the garlic ate a big painful hole into my toe! The plantar wart remained. I would be very fearful of putting garlic in my vagina!
#19 of 24 Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Ok so you hve been talking about what? gbs? strep b? Don't know what either one is. Was going to google it but don't know what to input. Will someone end my ignorance please.

Thanks
#20 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
How do you do probiotics vaginally?

Well if you have probiotics in capsule form you just stick one up there If you have it in liquid form I freeze it in a syringe part just plug up the hole with a piece of a q-tip stick and then take the q-tip stick out and stick a toothpick in the syringe hole to poke out the cylinder of frozen probiotics and just put it up there right like a capsule. The frozen is uncomfortable until it melts but it seems to work better.
#21 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemommie View Post
Well if you have probiotics in capsule form you just stick one up there If you have it in liquid form I freeze it in a syringe part just plug up the hole with a piece of a q-tip stick and then take the q-tip stick out and stick a toothpick in the syringe hole to poke out the cylinder of frozen probiotics and just put it up there right like a capsule. The frozen is uncomfortable until it melts but it seems to work better.
OMG! Frozen probiotic popsicle up the cooter? That's gotta be uncomfy, I can't even imagine! (Here I was thinking I could just put a little of my blueberry kefir up there, but it sounded wrong with all the sugars in the kefir.)
#22 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
OMG! Frozen probiotic popsicle up the cooter? That's gotta be uncomfy, I can't even imagine! (Here I was thinking I could just put a little of my blueberry kefir up there, but it sounded wrong with all the sugars in the kefir.)
Yep, a vaginasicle. It is uncomfortable but after you've had a bad yeast infection you will do ANYTHING to kill those damn yeast bastards. I should have put in there to make sure your probiotics don't have sugar added Thanks for reminding me!
#23 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 PM

The cold probably numbs the itching!
#24 of 24 Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenwithin View Post
The cold probably numbs the itching!
Sure takes your mind off it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page