The most premature baby to survive... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The tacking two weeks on comes from this statement
Quote:
She was delivered 21 weeks and six days after conception.
from this article http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
The tacking two weeks on comes from this statement

from this article http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
That's exactly the article that was pointed out to me when talking about conception age vs gestational age.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:38 AM

There is a "born early" look?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 AM

The article says

Quote:
Neonatologists who cared for Amillia say she is the first baby known to survive after a gestation period of fewer than 23 weeks.
So... I still think she was born at 21w6d

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Rebecca - I get what you are saying. I am cosidered 24 weeks 1 day right now. BUT If you go by my CONCEPTION date I am 22w1d. This is true for all women.....while the baby isn't technically growing for the first two weeks, we still consider ourselves 2 week pg at conception. So, the first day of your missed period (in a normal, text book case) you say you are 4 weeks pg even though the embryo only implanted 2 weeks ago. This baby didn't have the first two weeks of nothing since she was created in a pitri dish. So, based on her conception date yes she is 21w6d but if this would have been a 'normal' conception then she would have been called 23w6d by her docs.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Banana- I don't know if there is "technically" a born early look. I do know out of the 10 or so people I know personally that were premature (and the dozens of others I have seen at the hospital) MANY of them have a certain look to their face. I didn't mean that to be offensive in any way at all, it is just something I have noticed. I also know a few of the nicu nurses and they talk about that all the time. It isn't always the case though of course!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
I get the point. If my baby were to come now, she could have a good chance of living. That's great, but I'm still scared to death. There is great technology but I feel it's sometimes abused. that's just my personal opinion.
I wonder what type of abuse you're referring to here. Doctors (and science) are making great strides everyday and although all premature babies don't have a great chance, some of them get through being born early without so much as a scar. I don't know exactly what you meant but I think I understand you to mean that Doctors intervene too regularly sometimes (like a God complex?)? If that's what you meant then I, myself, would take great comfort in their attempts to keep my baby alive and I'd deal with the consequences later. Of course, I want a perfect baby. But if God dealt me a different hand then I'd be thankful everyday that at least she were alive. This is just how I feel at this stage of my pg. I can certainly understand how some might feel differently.

I have a friend whose daughter was born at 28 weeks, was two pounds AND she pushed her out at 8 cm dialated! She tore her cervix on the way out (incompetent cervix and she didn't want a c-section). This child is 6 years old and the only problem she has are intermittent nose bleeds b/c the blood vessels in her nose were underdeveloped. I know for a fact that every day of her life, she Thanks God for saving her child, regardless of the aftereffects.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

Old 06-17-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
The article says

So... I still think she was born at 21w6d
Exactly. Otherwise the newsworthiness of it just doesn't make sense. Reporters aren't always straight with their facts, unfortunately.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleines View Post
Banana- I don't know if there is "technically" a born early look. I do know out of the 10 or so people I know personally that were premature (and the dozens of others I have seen at the hospital) MANY of them have a certain look to their face. I didn't mean that to be offensive in any way at all, it is just something I have noticed. I also know a few of the nicu nurses and they talk about that all the time. It isn't always the case though of course!

I was just curious. I've only seen premature babies.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 06-17-2007, 08:12 PM

so I showed Dh the picture of the baby. I said "that would be scary" (to have a baby that early) and his response

"and really expensive":

I told him "that wouldn't matter".

men...
Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 PM

I have a nephew born at 24 weeks. He definately has a different look. His head is shaped differently. (He's 3.5 now.) His brother was born at 30 weeks, and looks normal. I think it is a little fun to have them to compare to - if baby was born right now, it would be the size my nephew was. But that thought quickly turns to sadness, knowing what that experience was like as an *aunt*. I would never ever want to experience that as a mom. I've never had a loss though, and I have two beautiful children already.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplez View Post
so I showed Dh the picture of the baby... and his response

"and really expensive":
Honestly, that WOULD be really expensive... my boys were in the NICU for 7 days and between the birth and the NICU stay, the bill was $40,000 EACH. Luckily (or whatever) at the time I had Medicaid so I never had to pay.

Thank you, taxpayers! :

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Chalk me up as one who is more afraid of a long NICU stay than of a loss. But I have a friend with a baby born at 24w and change (from LMP) who is 2 yrs old now and fantastic. She's at or above age level for her age from birth, not even her adjusted age! she still doesn't have hair; other than that she looks like her sister.

and yet, if our baby did come this early, we'd do what we could do. I was more afraid of a D&C than a miscarriage, and then i had a missed miscarriage and had to do the D&C, ugh. But did it, and without fear.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
Chalk me up as one who is more afraid of a long NICU stay than of a loss. But I have a friend with a baby born at 24w and change (from LMP) who is 2 yrs old now and fantastic. She's at or above age level for her age from birth, not even her adjusted age! she still doesn't have hair; other than that she looks like her sister.

and yet, if our baby did come this early, we'd do what we could do. I was more afraid of a D&C than a miscarriage, and then i had a missed miscarriage and had to do the D&C, ugh. But did it, and without fear.
Hey Jessitron,

Help me understand why you'd be more afraid of a long NICU stay than a loss. I just don't get that. What is it about a NICU stay that would have you more fearful than losing your baby? I don't have any children yet but anytime I think about losing my baby I am overcome with emotions. I would gladly welcome a NICU stay (even a looooooooong one) if it meant that my baby would eventually be in my arms one day.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Oh, it is not rational.
A loss at this point would be a lot like a miscarriage, and I handled that okay. It happens, it's over, it must be for a reason, move on. A NICU stay would be a long drawn-out painful period with lots of stress and heartache and suspense. That sounds harder. Not necessarily worse, but harder.
Not that I spend time worrying about either of them.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
Oh, it is not rational.
A loss at this point would be a lot like a miscarriage, and I handled that okay. It happens, it's over, it must be for a reason, move on. A NICU stay would be a long drawn-out painful period with lots of stress and heartache and suspense. That sounds harder. Not necessarily worse, but harder.
Not that I spend time worrying about either of them.
I guess I could understand that. I've never had a miscarriage before and I can only imagine how it would feel to have your heart set on a baby and to find out that the pregnancy didn't progress. For me, even though I've never had one, I feel like this stage in my pregnancy I would feel different b/c I've felt her kick and I know it's a girl so I've been calling her by name. For me, this makes me feel as though a lossnow is more like the death of my child rather than 'miscarriage'.

I was telling my Dh last night how the kicking and calling her by name has made me feel more connected to her than early on. In the early stages of pg I felt as though it were the promise of a baby yet to come. Now, I feel as though I am truly carrying my child vs. that earlier more loose feeling, YKWIM?

My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM

This is so highly personal that I don't think anyone necessarily has to understand why anyone else feels how they do about it... I personally am thrilled to be at 25 weeks now and to know that she's technically "viable". But, I am also scared to death of having a baby this early. I was with my cousin when she gave birth at 22 weeks - he was born alive and just never took a breath. It was horribly sad, but also peaceful. In California, you have very little say in the medical treatments that they give preemies - basically, they do everything possible to keep the baby alive whether or not you want them to. THAT scares me.

When they were still trying to stop her labor, they talked about trying to get her to 24 weeks and then gave us all of the stats on his chances at that point. They were very, very depressing. I'm personally a quality of life focused person and stuff like pain management and long-term outlook are very, very important to me. And I hate it that those decisions would be for the most part of out of my hands if she came early.

I just pray and hope and tell her that she needs to stay put until she's ready for this world! And I was very happy to get past the 22 week mark...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM

I can understand about the long NICU stay. A friend of mine had twin girls at 26w. They were in the NICU for 6 months -- not just for prematurity, I believe one of the girls actually had some organs outside of her body. After 6 months, one baby came home, and the other passed away. She had never been outside the hospital. So tragic. I know the parents were happy for every day they had with her, but it was just terribly sad.

treehugger.gif Erika
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
This is so highly personal that I don't think anyone necessarily has to understand why anyone else feels how they do about it... I personally am thrilled to be at 25 weeks now and to know that she's technically "viable". But, I am also scared to death of having a baby this early. I was with my cousin when she gave birth at 22 weeks - he was born alive and just never took a breath. It was horribly sad, but also peaceful. In California, you have very little say in the medical treatments that they give preemies - basically, they do everything possible to keep the baby alive whether or not you want them to. THAT scares me.

I just pray and hope and tell her that she needs to stay put until she's ready for this world! And I was very happy to get past the 22 week mark...
This is how I feel, especially the part that I don't have any choice in the matter. i didn't really know how to explain it so I just didn't.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
This is so highly personal that I don't think anyone necessarily has to understand why anyone else feels how they do about it...
It's not necessary...I just want to.

My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
knower, thank you. That was very sweet. And of course, being pregnant, I cried.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
knower, thank you. That was very sweet. And of course, being pregnant, I cried.
Awww....look, it's all good now, it's going to happen....you're going to have a BABY!! I am so excited for you.

User Tag List