sleeping position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was a back sleeper pre-pregnancy and I still wake up on my back all the time. It's the only time I get any real rest. Side sleeping makes my neck and back ache (I had a neck injury several years ago).

When I told my bradley teacher she said I was harming the baby and myself. The thing is, it's not intentional, I fall asleep on my side but wake up on my back, no idea how long I've been that way.

So, truly, how bad is back sleeping? Wouldn't my body "tell" me or make it uncomfortable if it was that bad?

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#2 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM

They say (they is who again? ) that sleeping on your left side is good for blood flow but I sleep however I can get comfortable. I sleep on my back due to heartburn, I need the elevation. I figure when I am uncomfortable I will stop.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM

The only thing you need to worry about is at a later point that the weight of the baby might restrict some bloodflow if you are on your back. Trust your body, what else are ya gonna do? I am just waiting for the nex mommy/baby gadget: a sleep positioner for moms so they can only sleep on their left side.
Just like those horrible things they have for babies: wegded in a piece of flame retardent foam. Yuck. Complete nonsense for a healthy babe.

You're fine, as long as you get sleep
#4 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM

You should be fine sleeping in any position that feels comfortable. I sleep however I can get some sleep. Left side is best, but being able to sleep is so much more important. My doctor says that I would know if I was cutting off blood supply to the baby, that I would feel dizzy, sick, have body parts fall asleep, ect.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#5 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 PM

Yeah, your body will tell you if it's a problem. Ever lay down on your back (esp on a hard surface) and feel out of breath, and like a turtle balanced on its shell? I feel like that when I'm on my back for long enough, or even leaning back in a chair sometimes. If ya don't get that feeling, you should be fine.
Poo on your Bradley teacher for trying to scare you.
#6 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM

I've been worrying about my sleeping position, too. So glad you posted this.

I seem to sleep best, with no nausea, on my right side. I know that's not optimal, but I gotta sleep!
#7 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Why do they say left side..what makes it different from the right? I have always slept on my right side and I've been told to change. I am kindof an unusual sleeper though. I have always had to have one of those little couch pillows under my head to be comfy. Those are a big comfort.

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
#8 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 02:43 PM

My neck has been messed up this whole pregnancy from sleeping on my side. I do get on my back sometimes, but end up a little numb. Chiro laughed and said - at least you know why and won't go running off to the hospital to get tests! He seemed to think it wasn't dangerous.
#9 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 04:41 PM

I also try to start the night on my side but wake up on my back : Good to know we're not alone!
#10 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 PM

I am starting to get out of breath when I lay on my back, so I'm mostly stuck on my sides. My hips also hurt, so I end up with a pillow under my belly, one or two between my knees, and two under my head. Then I need to roll over! If I can't get comfy, I build myself a giant triangle of pillows and can use that to sleep on my back. It's an ordeal, but ah the comfort!!! They sell wedges for massage and stuff that you can use to lay on your back, too, but I just got out all the guest pillows. My doc said to just listen to what's comfortable and sleep however I can! It's hard enough to sleep when you're pregnant without being obsessed with staying on one side. There is no way I could ever get through an entire night in one position!
#11 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 PM

your body will tell you when it's unsafe - you'll wake up! I usually fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. I alternate sides when I wake up.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#12 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 07:24 PM

I sleep on my bump. I prop my leg up with a pillow but it is the only way I can get comfy it seems.
#13 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!! (my neck thanks you too!)

Glad to know that my back sleeping isn't going to harm anyone and that my body will tell me when it's time.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#14 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Blythe View Post
I sleep on my bump. I prop my leg up with a pillow but it is the only way I can get comfy it seems.
Me too. And I rotate from side to side.

I do occasionally lay on my back because its more comfortable and then I worry more which causes less sleep. What i have discovered is that if I turn on my side, put a pillow behind me and then roll to my back, it's much more comfortable. I am not fully on my back, but not on my side either. I sleep well in that position...especially since I feel secure with the pillow. But undoubtly they move during the night.
#15 of 18 Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmthompson View Post
Me too. And I rotate from side to side.

I do occasionally lay on my back because its more comfortable and then I worry more which causes less sleep. What i have discovered is that if I turn on my side, put a pillow behind me and then roll to my back, it's much more comfortable. I am not fully on my back, but not on my side either. I sleep well in that position...especially since I feel secure with the pillow. But undoubtly they move during the night.
: I've been doing that too. I call it the "half back".
#16 of 18 Old 06-22-2007, 12:34 AM

This is how I've been sleeping too - on my back but on 1/2 a pillow so I'm kind of on my side. I am normally a tummy sleeper, so everything is uncomfortable! I've also been making the triangle-of-pillows at the top so that I am laying on a wedge to lay on my back. I figure that if it is good enough for final relaxation in my prenatal yoga class then it is good enough for sleeping, lol. If I wake up uncomfortable, then I just roll over and try again.
#17 of 18 Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 AM

I sleep on my right mostly, then the left side. So far so good.
#18 of 18 Old 06-22-2007, 06:52 AM

I'm glad this was posted. I can't sleep on my left side for the life of me (old shoulder injury.) Actually... lately it seems like I can't get comfy to sleep at all! I'm thinking I need an extra layer on my bed for my hips, like a feather bed or something.

I don't worry too much about the left side thing though. When I told my mom, she responded with her usual: "well, they never told us that when we were pg, and y'all are just fine."

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page