Belly Touching - yay or nay? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only people that have touched my belly are my hubby and MIL. I like hubby touching the belly, and I don't mind if my MIL does it occasionally. The rest of my family and close friends (besides in-laws) are on the other side of the world, but I wouldn't mind if they touched the belly, too.
Strangers, no thanks.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
#32 of 35 Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM

That's so interesting about Hispanic culture and touching for good luck. I like that.

I don't mind friends and family touching the belly at all. Like others here, strangers weird me out a bit, but I usually just smile and move on.

I used to do a lot of historic museum performance, and my costume included a mid-19th century hoop skirt. For some reason whenever we had Russian/Eastern European visitors (particularly elderly woman), they would just lift up my hoops skirt to see what was underneath. (Hello! There are a pair of legs and a butt under here, what did you think?) I was shocked at first, but then I learned to laugh and explain that 19th century women don't like their lower bodies looked at. I think it made me more tolerant of the belly-touching phenomenom!

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#33 of 35 Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post
I used to do a lot of historic museum performance, and my costume included a mid-19th century hoop skirt. For some reason whenever we had Russian/Eastern European visitors (particularly elderly woman), they would just lift up my hoops skirt to see what was underneath. (Hello! There are a pair of legs and a butt under here, what did you think?) I was shocked at first, but then I learned to laugh and explain that 19th century women don't like their lower bodies looked at. I think it made me more tolerant of the belly-touching phenomenom!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#34 of 35 Old 06-30-2007, 01:36 PM

I have never been asked (or touched) but while it would startle me I don't think I would mind too much. No, actually.. I think I'd mind but I am also of the position that I wish touch wasn't so uncomfortable for us and so would probably be chiding myself the whole time to get over it, enjoy it, it's good, sweet, loving attention, it's curiousity, it's okay.

Yes I'm a little neurotic. It's okay. I don't mind.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#35 of 35 Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 PM

This time around no one has touched my belly except myself, DH and DS. Must be because I am a SAHM and when I do go out I'm busy holding onto an almost 2 yr old or have something infront of me like a shopping cart.

When I was pregnant with DS and working I had people at the office just touching my belly without asking.

I can't remember if I was annoyed or not ... pregnancy brain

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page