Carseats! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started a car seat thread in Life with a Babe in case anyone is interested.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=703404

What kind of car seats are you guys looking into?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 04:08 PM

I'll probably get a graco safeseat. we had the snugride when dd was an infant and sold it with our travel system so we have to get a new one, doh! they've done some improvements with the new model, it goes to a higher height and weight so that is good (if the new one even likes the infant seat - catie never did!)

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 06-30-2007, 04:45 PM

Lately I'm totally obsessive about carseat safety -- we just got our boys two Britax Regents which go up to 80lbs in a 5pt harness. It cost a fortune but after watching the Kyle ****** video on YouTube, I know it was an investment in their safety. We're also getting Sunshine Kids Radian 65 for backup seats, to use in dh's car. My dd is a Cosco Touriva. Not a great seat, but it's installed properly and when she gets too big for it, we'll get another Britax Regent.

For the new baby, I'd LOOOOOOVE a Graco SafeSeat, but we'll probably stick with our SnugRide.

I like having the baby close, so she will go in the second row, along with my 2yo dd. My 4yo boys are in the third row.

*Warning: that video is INCREDIBLY sad*

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 06-30-2007, 04:53 PM

I'm getting a new recaro for the new babe. I'll use dd's old (but still good, not expired) comfortsport for the first year or so, and then get the Recaro, because it expires in 6 years, so if I get it when the new babe is 1, it'll last until s/he is 7, which is about when it will be outgrown. To me, it is the best of both worlds, a seat that will RF until 35 pounds, and then FF til 70, which is ALMOST as much as the regent, but all in one nice convertible seat.

CPST
Old 06-30-2007, 04:56 PM

We ordered a SafeSeat. DS was a big baby and grew out of his infant seat pretty quickly, so we think it will be nice to have an infant seat with higher limits.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have a graco snugride and will probably get another alpha omega when he grows out of the infant seat. we have used the combiation with our other children and like the snugrides and the alpha omegas.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

W/ my first 2 I used the Graco one w/ navy/white check and the little teddy bears on it. (Don't remember the model, but I'm sure we've all seen it!) It lasted till dd was 3 mos when we were in a minor car accident (narrowly missed a deer in the middle of the road as we crested a hill at night and hit the cement guard rails instead) when we got a Cosco convertible from a friend.

Do the baby buckets RF at a higher weight limit now? When ds was a baby it was 20 lbs and he was well over that much sooner! He had a convertible at about 6 mos.

I'd like for this one to be RF as long as possible.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 PM

I'll be using the Graco snugride that came with the travel system we got with dd. It's a MIL's right now so she can use it with my nephew, but he should be grown out of it by the time we need it back. I also have an Evenflo convertible carseat that we can use as an extra seat for either of them. Just about any of the infant bucket seats will be easy to use 'cause you just leave the base in and take the seat in and out. I'd just get an extra base for your extra car, I'd be cheaper than getting a whole other carseat.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

Old 06-30-2007, 06:06 PM

We are getting the graco safeseat for both babies.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:16 PM

my sis bought a snugride for us already, and after that, i was pretty set on a blvd, but now the new recaros are looking really nice

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Our 2yo is in a RF marathon (honda civic 2004 sedan) and babe will get her Snugride. When babe outgrows the snugride, Annabelle will get the regent or a radian and the marathon will go to the babe. If Annabelle is not 33# by then, plan B will be another Marathon for babe and Annabelle will stay in hers as the regent won't fit in the car.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Britax Boulevard, lasts up to 6 years from DOM, so no need for an infant carseat then a convertible.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:01 AM

we have britax marathon for dd2 and a booster for dd1... I really like the way new babies fit in the infant seats best even though they are used for such a short time. I bought the britax companion on ebay new for about $70 less than eny other place I could find it. I really like the seat...

peace
jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 AM

We like the Britax Companion too. We still have ours from DD, and will use it again. I agree with Jen; the infants look so much more secure in that than a convertible seat.
We have a Britax Wizard and Boulevard for DD too, and will buy another Boulevard when/if we need a third convertible seat (for a second vehicle).
Old 07-01-2007, 01:25 AM

In most convertible seats, kid can stay rear-facing til 35lbs -- meaning one of my 4yo could still be rear-facing. I plan to keep the new kid RF as long as possible.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
In most convertible seats, kid can stay rear-facing til 35lbs -- meaning one of my 4yo could still be rear-facing. I plan to keep the new kid RF as long as possible.
What baout the infant seats, those known as baby buckets?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooh, right up my alley! (Former certified car seat tech.)

Justthatgirl, most of the infant seats still go to only 20-22lbs, BUT newer seats like the Graco SafeSeat Step1 go to 30lbs! There's also one by Chicco, I believe, that goes up to 30lbs. These are also taller seats, so they accomodate up to 30", I believe - though that's never a firm measurement (go by where the child's head is in relation to the top of the seat).

We have the Britax Companion from DS2. It goes to 22lbs and 30" - and the extra inches meant we could use it until DS was 18 months old!! Yeah, I make 'em skinny! DS1 had outgrown an Evenflo infant seat at 5 months but only by height and was also not 20lbs before 1 year, so I knew the extra height allowance would really help us, and it sure did! I have pics of DS at about 17-18 months in the SafeSeat, and he had room to grow! Not a ton - not enough to, say, buy the seat at that juncture, but it clearly will fit for a LONG time! I definitely think it's a good investment!

Convertible seats will go to 30-33lbs generally and a few to 35 - so check your manual to be sure!

I have heard the rumours of the upcoming Recaro convertibles and have been VERY interested, but hadn't seen the latest on them! I love the fit of the Young Sport for my DS, but couldn't justify a 40lb harness seat for him (he's in a Marathon now, nearly outgrown it, at 5yrs3mo and 75%ile for height). So I'm really excited to see how these new seats do! The hard part will be finding someone who carries them in stores. : But thankfully it looks like it's not too much longer to wait! So, yeah, um, thanks for giving me something fun to do when what I really need to be doing is PACKING!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Glad we could throw a little sunshine your way, Heather!

So, as a former car seat tech, for someone on a budget, what would you recommend? I'm really eyeballing that Chicco mostly because it's so lightweight, apparently, and the size limit is heavier than the others I've seen.

DS was 9lb 8oz at birth and we had a Graco for him (the one w/ the little navy/white checkers and teddy bears) and LORD was it heavy!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Glad we could throw a little sunshine your way, Heather!

So, as a former car seat tech, for someone on a budget, what would you recommend? I'm really eyeballing that Chicco mostly because it's so lightweight, apparently, and the size limit is heavier than the others I've seen.

DS was 9lb 8oz at birth and we had a Graco for him (the one w/ the little navy/white checkers and teddy bears) and LORD was it heavy!
Just use the carseat as a carseat, take baby out and put them in a sling. You run the risk of damaging a joint by lugging that carseat around with bebe in it.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Just use the carseat as a carseat, take baby out and put them in a sling. You run the risk of damaging a joint by lugging that carseat around with bebe in it.
I want to be able to use it as a baby carrier, too. We eat out a lot and eating w/ an infant in my arms (even in my sling) is too cumbersome for me. Additionally, if we're at church and one of us is holding/slinging the sleeping baby then that leaves only 1 parent to work w/ the 2 older ones, one of whom has autism and is quite a handful. On top of all that, I've been in 5 car accidents (none my fault!) and have some major back trouble, so slinging or using a mei tai is not a long-lasting event for me, unfortunately. I need to know I have the option of putting the baby down for a little while.

I did sling dd much of the time when she was an infant (after only 3 accidents), but it was just too hard, even when dh was w/ me and could focus solely on ds, so I ended up putting her in the carrier frequently when we'd go out as a family. That way we could tag-team ds. Now we have to tag-team both.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM

We have a Graco Snugride we used with DS until 20lbs. We then switched him to an Evenflo Triumph (due to ratings on safety). We kept him rear facing in the Triumph until 19-20 months old. We are moving him into a Britax Regent sometime this year (the Triumph goes to 40lbs and he is only 30 now). We will keep him in the Regent w/a 5pt harness as long as we possibly can. -I saw the YouTube video too!! The new baby will be kept rear facing until he is 30lbs in the Triumph (which is made for that). We will probably get another Regent for him as well.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 PM

This my be a post hijack sorry if it is.

I'm torn between getting new babe a Graco Safeseat or just geting another Marathon. I had a bucket for DS#1 for the 1st 6 months but didn't take it out of the car much and then it broke so I took it back and got DS a convertable. My partents have a seat in both of thier cars and we have a seat in DH's car for DS#1. SO we are going to have to buy more seats for DS#2 eventually so do I just start our seat buying process now and get him a marathon and be done with one car or get a SafeSeat with extra bases and buy more carseats for other cars later. What would you do?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 PM

I'm getting another bucket, on the off chance that this baby will actually tolerate staying asleep in it moving from the car to the house, etc.

If I was certain she'd be like my dd, who never fell asleep in the darn thing to begin with, I'd just skip right to the convertible.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 07-01-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I'm getting another bucket, on the off chance that this baby will actually tolerate staying asleep in it moving from the car to the house, etc.

If I was certain she'd be like my dd, who never fell asleep in the darn thing to begin with, I'd just skip right to the convertible.
Oh, I hear that! DS would fall asleep in it and stay asleep. DD would *sometimes* but not always, then she seldom stayed asleep form car to house, and given that she was colicky, if she was awakened it was NOT a pleasant situation to be in.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM

On a side note, our babe was too small for the marathon till nearly a year. At this point she's just in the first harness slot.

SOoo.....for some kids the marathons simply aren't a good fit.

We had to have a bucket or else the kid would've been ejected if the car stopped quickly. 5#5oz leaving the hospital.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.

User Tag List