For the working mamas..pet peeves - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kudos to you for still working in the third trimester. :-p I'm putting in my two weeks next wednesday. I can't wait to get outta here and be able to relax and have my feet up.

Also, what pet peeves do you have while at work? Is there something that your coworkers do that just iritates the hell out of you...well more-so since you are preggers?

Here are a couple of mine..(oh and btw i work in a job where i process applications for medicaid so i have to concentrate on my cases)

-Maintenance staff using their nextel/sprint cell phones on speakerphone while i'm trying to work and not getting the fact that the evil glares i am shooting at them means to turn it on normal headset mode..
-People chewing their gum with their mouths wide open.
-People talking too loud about the dumbest and most inappropriate things.
-Smokers who come back reeking of it and making me feel like puking.
-Supervisors who stand there and chit-chat like they have nothing better to do.
-Bean & Cheese breakfast tacos that people bring in.

Blah, sorry had to share haaha
#2 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Oh, I'm working until I pop. I get way more feet-up time here than at home.

We share a bathroom with Accounting and those women are weird. THey stink it up, and the ventilation is poor. Then they complain that our lunch smells bad! They bring in the soap they like and hide the other soap.

Hmm, yeah, that's about it. My coworkers are a pretty easygoing lot.
#3 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still working but I'm going in for a cervix measurement on Wednesday and, if it's thinned at ALL, I'm going to ask to be written off work.

Not because it's necessary, but because these people are freaks and I think they would let me work at home rather than take disability for the rest of the pregnancy.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#4 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Well, I am lucky enough to be able to work from home, so no annoying co-workers here, though I do get some pretty lame calls from some of my clients. Some of them worry about the darndest things. My latest favorite is one of my clients who doesn't like filing briefs longer than 15 pages, so has asked me to break down my briefs so I am sending him two or three that are 15 pages or less each. Uh, you are still filing the same amount of paper, right? And, of course, there are the family and friends who seem to think that working from home means I just putter all day and really have nothing important to do. So, of course, I can just drop everything when they call or want me to come visit. But that is an ongoing frustration, and not at all pg related. Bleah.

Oh, how I WISH I could shut down my practice now for maternity leave - I would love to just have the rest of the summer to relax and play with dd. Problem is, we really need my income, so I need to have a practice to come back to and, short of a medical crisis with this pg, I just don't feel comfortable taking more than about three months off. I did finish letters to my clients last night letting them know I will be off as of October 1, so that felt good!!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#5 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 PM

I work in a manufacturing facility with mostly men, but here's my list:

-People who microwave fish dinners (my desk is ten feet from the microwave).

-People coming back from smoke breaks and don't understand when I take a step back, or think it's rude when I cough - it's not like I'm doing it on purpose!

-People rubbing my belly and asking me what I'm having - the same people ask every day and every day it's the same answer - we decided to leave the baby's gender a surprise and No, we aren't having another u/s so it's too late to change our minds.

-People giving me advice on how I should give birth (did I mention I work with mostly men).
#6 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM

I'll be working until the end of Sept. so I can have more time off at the other end of my leave.

The only thing that's really annoying here is there are two women having their first babies within days of me, and they have these tiny bellies and otherwise no changes to their bodies that I can see LOL So I'm jealous and embarrassed when I tell people when I'm due and I can see they are comparing us.

Oh, and sharing the elevator with smokers, but that bothers me even when I'm not pregnant
#7 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
jpiper, I work with mostly men (manufacturing as well) too. My favorite is when they start pontificating on how difficult their wives' labors were.....for them! :

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#8 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
jpiper, I work with mostly men (manufacturing as well) too. My favorite is when they start pontificating on how difficult their wives' labors were.....for them! :
Awww... poor babies. Honestly, if men were the ones to bear children most of them would pass out at the first labor pain. :

Liam's Mum, I saw one of those trimmed and toned women with the cute little pg belly in the grocery store last night - wearing her little designer maternity clothes no less. Told DH I disliked her just on principle!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#9 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM

I am working until the last minute (until I can't physically or go into labor - I have worked until my due date with the other 3 kiddos too and don't have enough leave saved up to have time off before AND after so.....)

my peaves:

- sitting in tiny child sized chairs while typing up reports in centers that don't have offices or another place for me to sit - way too hot to sit in my car and type this time of year (I am a state childcare center licensor so I type my reports while on site - kinda like a health dept person does at a restaurant but they can sit in adult sized booths/chairs I betcha )

-my belly must get rubbed a dozen times a day by well meaning ladies and school aged girls - "your belly is hard as a rock" "wow you have gotten HUGE during the past 2-3 months since you were last here" "it is a boy baby right?" "are you glad it's a boy?" "you are seeing a midwife?" "you really have never had an epidural?" etc etc etc etc I am tired of the constant attention (I have 76 centers on my caseload and have to visit them 3x a year so I have seen them in each trimester (since I am taking 2 mo off I am "working ahead" so they have watched me progress and feel "attached" I suppose ~rolling my eyes~) "why aren't you on our waiting list for child care" (ummm, cause I wouldnt send my dog here?? wanna hear that answer cause it is the truth!!! not professional though huh )

-I am tired of having to pee 2 dozen times a day (ok, that is an exageration but it feels like it!) while driving around or visiting centers - some centers do not have adult bathrooms and I refuse to share a bathroom with a icky preschooler (can you believe it, no grownup potty!?!?!?!?)

- my back, tailbone area actually, just aches by the end of the day from sitting in those awful chairs or at my desk and in my car

that is it for now
#10 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have to add that I also am starting to get annoyed at the questions about the baby.

"When are you due?" "You don't look pregnant" "I'll be more pregnant looking than you before long" -- says the person who is only 3 months along. Blah..serenity now..only 3 weeks left.
#11 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

I'm blessed to be a nanny of 2 at their home. I tell my dh I get paid to hang out at museums, beaches, and the movies with my friends who are also nannies. I'm just really lucky I know.

My last job ( I left in May) they asked if I'd consider stepping down as a lead toddler teacher because I was pregneat. I had been planning on working till I popped so I knew it was time to flee.
#12 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm pretty lucky (except for the lack of disability benefits here), but I am really tired of people asking when I'm due, thinking that I'm due in the next two weeks (I'm not THAT big!).

I am also really sick of co-workers only half-jokingly telling me to name the baby after them. Ex: guy I worked with for about six months 7 years ago and still see occassionally named Eric - "Erica is a really nice name, you guys should name her Erica." Huh?! It may be a nice name, but really? You think that you have any input in this process? I see him just in passing every few weeks, and he asks again every time. He is not the only one doing this.

The super skinny chick down the hall from me that is only 3 weeks behind me and looks like I looked when I was 4 months. She's also "worried" about her weight gain. Um, she's a very skinny girl with a small belly. Weight gain?! I could fit one thigh into her entire dress.

I'll be working up until probably 2 weeks from my edd, since things will slow down a lot at that time. I have my own office and have a lot of flexibility in my schedule so it's not hard to come in at all...
#13 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 PM

I am working till Oct. 12th...woohoo. : But its only because I want to stay home with the baby longer.

So here is my biggest pet peeve and it happened today:

Me: We are having a boy!

Coworker: Oh. I'm sorry. You already have a boy right? A little girl would have been so much fun for you. Are you ok?

This happened three times today!! What is wrong with people?!
#14 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM

I work nights, with one other person, and my biggest peeve right now is that he was incommunicado last night, making me worry that something had happened to him. I worry that he'll pull another stunt like that at a time when I really need him, like if a resident falls and I can't get them up by myself. I work with different people every night, and not with this person very often, but still. He's also not the only one to have done this.

My other pet peeve is giving hot showers to old ladies that can do it themselves. Mostly, though, I like my job.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#15 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmom1029 View Post

-I am tired of having to pee 2 dozen times a day (ok, that is an exageration but it feels like it!) while driving around or visiting centers - some centers do not have adult bathrooms and I refuse to share a bathroom with a icky preschooler (can you believe it, no grownup potty!?!?!?!?)
Um, where do the staff go??? At my DS's centre there is most definitely a bathroom for the teachers (and being pg, I have to use it by the time I get there to pick up DS!), otherwise they'd have to use the open concept kiddie bathrooms, and I can't imagine dropping their pants in front of toddlers and preschoolers is legal...
#16 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam's Mum View Post
Um, where do the staff go???

They have to have a bathroom that allows for privacy for kids over four so they use that one - ick huh? I am always grateful for newer centers that were built specifically for childcare (usually designed by someone who has actually worked IN childcare) - the centers I don't find adult bathrooms in are the centers built before the 90's or the group daycare homes I visit
#17 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM

I work at a retail store and I usually work the pet food section. I have a male coworker who insists on carrying EVERYTHING for me so, I just look like a lazy woman directing "the linebacker looking stockboy." I can't even climb a 4 foot ladder without everyone freaking out. This is about the dumbest thing I have ever had happen... I was going outside to roll up the windows on my coworkers and my car. 2 cars total. Some guy (customer)came up and said he wanted to help roll them up because with me being pregnant and all he didn't want me to get wet and I shouldn't have to do that!!!!! WTH??

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
#18 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Hmm...maybe pg women melt where he comes from?

As for peeves, though, I just found out that one of my clients, who is trying to get pg, is now harrassing one of our mutual colleagues about the fact she is seeing a midwife for her pg and is planning a home birth. All the usual stuff, it is not safe, etc., and no amount of statistics will make her back off. Just wait until she hears that I am looking into a home birth now that we are only having one baby. I SO don't want to deal with those issues again. Maybe I just won't tell anybody...

#19 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Dena, stand up for your coworker! Harass the mainstream chick about how dangerous it is to birth at a hospital!
#20 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Oh, we have both told her. I had a homebirth with dd, and this woman got an earful of statistics then, and was actually convinced for awhile. But then dd was born with severe meconium aspiration, and despite the fact that one of the top neonatologists in the STATE (whom we were lucky enough to have as dd's attending the week she was in the NICU) told us the home birth was irrelevant to her condition, this woman will now not believe that anything short of a hospital birth is safe. And she will not read ANYTHING to the contrary. And she somehow sees it as her duty, I think, to "protect" our colleague from what she sees as a dangerous decision on her part.

The bottom line is my colleague just needs to stand up for herself - which she is not very good at - and refuse to discuss the matter any further, because no amount of talking is going to change this woman's mind, and she is certainly entitled to her own opinion, she just needs to keep it to herself.

#21 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 PM

She needs to be told that a hospital birth isn't safe either. When she gets pregnant, you should deluge her with horror stories :P
#22 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM

No real pet peeves since I work with a bunch of nurses and they are "pretty good"...but I teach and I'm getting spoiled now that I'm off for another month. I go back to work at the 8 month mark and work until the end... so I'm just trying to get alot done now before I go back! Then it'll be busy with 2!!!
#23 of 33 Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
She needs to be told that a hospital birth isn't safe either. When she gets pregnant, you should deluge her with horror stories :P
Yeah, I thought about that, but I hate to give any expectant mom horror stories. Just doesn't seem fair.

Of course, that won't stop me from doing it BEFORE she gets pg... :

#24 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 02:04 AM

I work in the Recovery Room at one of the local hospitals.
I HATE JULY!!!
Let me tell you why....

Two months ago all the Medical Students graduated Medical School and now they think they are all that and a bag of chips just because they can now put MD behind their name. Well let me tell you what big boy; I have worked in this joint for 11 years and I might, just might, know a little bit more than you!

Word to the wise- Never have your elective procedures done in July and August!
#25 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
Word to the wise- Never have your elective procedures done in July and August!
I have a friend who scheduled a procedure for June 30th for that very reason!

Okay, I only work p/t on the weekends, but I work at fitness gym, and just seeing the skinny women working out and getting buff drives me crazy. I want to say, "I used to look like that too! (except maybe for the skinny part.)" Seriously, I go home and feel like a giant lump of... just a lump.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#26 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 AM

At least you can discuss pregnancy with your coworkers. I have one coworker that is 2 years older than me and has been married for about 6 months longer than me. She has been unable to conceive as of yet and insists on treating me like the woman who stole her baby. My other coworkers and I cannot mention my belly or any fact dealing with the baby without her getting angry and making snide comments. She told me that I did not deserve to have a baby because we were not trying and it was not planned this soon. I'll admit that a week post-wedding was pretty soon, but we still love this child and want him/her. She hasn't spoken to me since I started showing(not an exaggeration)!! I am praying for her to be able to conceive and I hope everything works out for her especially since medically there is no reason that they have not been successful, but I do not like the fact that I am treated like a lepper since I am apparently fertile. It makes our work environment very unpleasant that's for sure.:

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
#27 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Yeah, I thought about that, but I hate to give any expectant mom horror stories. Just doesn't seem fair.

Of course, that won't stop me from doing it BEFORE she gets pg... :
Thanks for that. As a mom having a hospital birth with m/w, I would be pretty peeved if a co-worker starting giving me horror stories about hospital births simply because it was not the choice she made. I know the pros and cons of my choice, and of homebirths, so wouldn't appreciate being told by someone I just work with I was doing something wrong

Just my two cents.
#28 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yep....now I get to add touching my pregnant belly to the list.

I was at the microwave yesterday heating up my lunch and this woman who i barely talk to started rubbing my belly. I wanted to be rude and slap her hand away but I was at work. Next time i see her though i'm going to tell her not to touch my stomach. I kinda froze when she touched it and didn't know what to do. I already have space issues with people, and being pregnant makes it worse. BLAH. Why is it that people always want to rub the belly, like there is a sign that says "Rub me". Is a genie going to come out? Um nope.
#29 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I would be pretty peeved if a co-worker starting giving me horror stories about hospital births simply because it was not the choice she made.
No, not because she's making a different choice, but because she's now trying to convince the homebirthing coworker that homebirth is dangerous, and because she refuses to educate herself on the topic. Seems like if she goes harping on the pregnant homebirther about the dangers of homebirth, we can harp on her about the dangers of hospital birth. :P

(Not that we should, because we're smarter and nicer than she is, but that it would be fair.)

Wow Jessica, that is totally awful of your ttc coworker! Way to ruin everyone's day.

Smudge, that's some good info about the recent medical grads. Yeah, scary.
#30 of 33 Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
No, not because she's making a different choice, but because she's now trying to convince the homebirthing coworker that homebirth is dangerous, and because she refuses to educate herself on the topic. Seems like if she goes harping on the pregnant homebirther about the dangers of homebirth, we can harp on her about the dangers of hospital birth. :P

(Not that we should, because we're smarter and nicer than she is, but that it would be fair.)
Ok that's fair

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page