diastasis recti - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i saw my midwife yesterday and mostly it was cool. we talked about breast feeding. proper posture from here to the end of pregnancy to help encourage the baby to be in an optimal position for birthing. everything seems pretty good and baby has a nice 140 heart beat. but i showed her this bulge thing that i was a bit concerned with and she said she thinks it is the beginning of diastases and she showed me better ways to move so i am doing that now. i feel like i should have prevented this and am kinda beating myself up over it but also realistically i know i shouldn't really be doing this. is anyone else having this? a bulge thing above the belly button when you are laying on your back and you sorta move your chin in and lift your head? anyone know anything about it? i read some older threads on mdc about it and it sounds like it might heal on it's own just fine after i have the baby and like i can do exercises to help it along the way. so i guess it might not really be such a bad thing. i hope it heals up and is fine after anyways.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 AM

totally normal, it happens in a lot of pregnancies! it is kind of creepy but just don't think about it

if it causes you pain, get a bella band (or the motherhood knockoff one) to give it a little extra support.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#3 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

thank you thorn! i feel a lot better hearing that. it sure looks freaky!

#4 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM

I have that going on, too. My mw actually noticed it at my appt. yesterday, and said there are some crunches that I can do once baby is born to heal it, and not to worry as it is very common.

As for prevention, I don't think there is much you can do. My chiropractor said she had it, and she is one of the most fit people I know - she works out, does yoga, etc. So try not to beat yourself up over it. Once you are a mom you will have plenty of stuff to beat yourself up over. No sense starting early. :

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#5 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM

I have that, I have had it every pregnancy. I only notice it when I'm sitting up from supine in the bathtub, trying to un-turtle-on-it's-back-myself into a sitting position. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
i saw my midwife yesterday and mostly it was cool. we talked about breast feeding. proper posture from here to the end of pregnancy to help encourage the baby to be in an optimal position for birthing. everything seems pretty good and baby has a nice 140 heart beat. but i showed her this bulge thing that i was a bit concerned with and she said she thinks it is the beginning of diastases and she showed me better ways to move so i am doing that now. i feel like i should have prevented this and am kinda beating myself up over it but also realistically i know i shouldn't really be doing this. is anyone else having this? a bulge thing above the belly button when you are laying on your back and you sorta move your chin in and lift your head? anyone know anything about it? i read some older threads on mdc about it and it sounds like it might heal on it's own just fine after i have the baby and like i can do exercises to help it along the way. so i guess it might not really be such a bad thing. i hope it heals up and is fine after anyways.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#6 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 07:20 PM

I have it really badly - tons of people get it. I found a thing by googling it called the Tupler Technique that is an excercise to strengthen the muscle underneath the ones that separate and it honestly helps. I find I can think about using that muscle when I need to sit up or move and I don't have nearly as much bulging out... Also roll over on your side and push yourself up from laying down. I hear it just goes away by itself after delivery for a lot of moms, but you have to be careful what ab excercises you do to keep it from getting worse...

It's gross, but not worth stressing about.
#7 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

i am so relieved to know i am not the only one who has it and that it is so common and will probably heal all fine on it's own!

#8 of 8 Old 07-21-2007, 04:47 PM

My homebirth midwife noticed this a month ago too (cheers to her simply noticing my belly when I sat up from the couch after her check). I had it all throughout the last pregnancy too, but no one I was seeing (nurse midwife or doctor) noticed or bothered mentioning it. From what I've been able to find, and from what my midwife said, it's normal, but still you should provide your belly with appropriate support and not strain it (careful lifting and rising from laying down position).
The big thing for me is...I have been wearing these glamourmom nursing tank tops since my last preg. since they are nice and snug around my belly and was wondering why I still liked to squeeze into them...when ta-dah! I was naturally seeking that extra support.
Oh yeah, when you have a BM especially, hold that belly (especially the belly button) to offer it support. My dang belly button popped out in month three this time and diastasis is the reason I now understand.
Let's hope ours will all kind of heal itself naturally afterwards. There's no way I'm going to find myself able to take two kiddos to Pilates classes afterwards!

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page