EPO question and more.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so is now (30 weeks) about the time for me to start the EPO? Do you do it orally or vaginally? It helps soften the cervix, right? Any info would be appreciated.

What other things can I start doing now (or in a few weeks) to help get ready for labor? I really want to have a successful VBAC so I am looking at everything.

The problem is if I don't go into labor on my own by 41 or 42 weeks I will have to be induced or scheduled csection. I have some problems with my pelvic bones that makes them not really want me to go to0 far post dates. -I was born Frank Breech naturally and they pulled me out by my pelvic bones with forceps. They turned my hips kind of inward and that is much of the reason DS just could not come out. I hope that makes some sort of sense! I have felt a lot of "loosening" this time in my pelvis that I did not have at all last time, which is leaving me very hopeful!
#2 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! My midwife says to start EPO (orally) at 36 weeks. For now, you can drink lots of Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, to help tone your uterus, too. Also, have you seen a chiro? I can't promise they could solve any problems, but surely it would help some! My chiro will do very gentle adjustments in pregnancy and help work on ligaments and such to make sure everything's loose and open for baby. This is great to do repeatedly as we get near birth!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 09:33 PM

I am trying to VBAC too. My CNM keeps pushing EPO, but I am not going to take it.(I'm not worried about being "over due") If I were in your shoes though, I would! She told me to insert them vaginally, and that the capsule part will just fall out. It is a prostaglandin, which will help soften(ripen) the cervix. Lots of sex, semen is also a prostaglandin. I would also check out spinning bables. It's not just about head down/head up, it's about getting baby into the optimal head down position for birth. You're far enough along to use the rebozo, which should keep your pelvis nice and loose along with it's other benefits. Maybe yoga and swimming, nice gentle exercise to keep your joints limber. Also do you drink RRL? It certainly can't hurt to have your uterus toned up too!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Ooh, just had to say Banana has great tips! I concur! And I've heard that mamas who have "frequent vigorous intercourse" in the 3rd trimester deliver closer to their due dates. Makes sense, given that it exercises the uterus (kinda like RRL is supposed to) and softens the cervix (kinda like EPO is supposed to), but is also completely "natural" and normal - unlike inserting EPO.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM

I also concur, but I am not really an expert.
#6 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 PM

I think I'm going to take EPO at 36 weeks, and homeopathic calophyllum at the same time. Calophyllum is supposed to stop prodrominal labor and aid real labor if it is time. I'm hoping it will help me, since I tend to have night after night of prodrominal labor.

I took EPO at 34 weeks last time and started having alot of cervical change at 36 weeks - I think it worked really well for me, and I probably should have held off a couple more weeks.
#7 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM

I just purchased my EPO this week and I read that you can begin taking it orally at 34 weeks and vaginally at 36 weeks. This is from a compilation of threads on MDC and internet based searches. I haven't fully decided when I am going to start, 34 or 36 wks, but I know that I haven't found anything to suggest that we should begin taking it now. I am 30 wks too.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#8 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 AM

My midwife said 36 weeks vaginally.

So, I'm curious(other than kleines) why are you guys using the EPO?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#9 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Maybe just a brain fart here but... What's EPO?
#10 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired007 View Post
I just purchased my EPO this week and I read that you can begin taking it orally at 34 weeks and vaginally at 36 weeks. This is from a compilation of threads on MDC and internet based searches. I haven't fully decided when I am going to start, 34 or 36 wks, but I know that I haven't found anything to suggest that we should begin taking it now. I am 30 wks too.
I took it vaginally, and had a 1 hr 15 minute birth. I wont ever take EPO vaginally again. My midwife said that her midwifery texts said that sometimes taking it vaginally will cause loose cervix.. so take from that what you like. But I did not enjoy how difficult my 1 hr 15 minute labor was, going from a fingertip to 10 cm in an hour. I am hoping for a longer, less painful birth this time.
#11 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM

evening primrose oil
#12 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
My midwife said 36 weeks vaginally.

So, I'm curious(other than kleines) why are you guys using the EPO?
I am planning on taking it just as a cervix ripener. I want to assure that my cervix has an easy time of dialating. I am still reading up on all of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfMamaAintHappy View Post
I took it vaginally, and had a 1 hr 15 minute birth. I wont ever take EPO vaginally again. My midwife said that her midwifery texts said that sometimes taking it vaginally will cause loose cervix.. so take from that what you like. But I did not enjoy how difficult my 1 hr 15 minute labor was, going from a fingertip to 10 cm in an hour. I am hoping for a longer, less painful birth this time.
:
Did you drink RRL tea too with this pregnancy?

Interesting...

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#13 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM

RRL tea is awesome. I definitely give it a lot of credit in how well my birth went last time.

I am not taking EPO or any other ripening/labor hastening agent though. Unless I had some "real" reason to force the due date, I think its way more important to just let it happen on its own time. I know we're all hot and heavy with babe and miserable but, and this is just my own opinion, the body does better left alone. My last labor was 3 days. Sounds terrible doesnt it? But ya know what? It progressed so slowly that I had ample time to adjust to the increased intensity of the contractions as they came, and it was a very relaxed birth. I am hoping to have another long labor this time, for that very reason. On the 3rd day, I told DH that if it went for another 24 hours we would head to the hospital. I was that able to cope still. We had DD about an hour or two after I said that. I would just hate to mess with mother nature and have it back fire, then spend the rest of my time wondering, ya know?

But I can totally understand the OP's reasons.
#14 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleines View Post
Okay, so is now (30 weeks) about the time for me to start the EPO? Do you do it orally or vaginally? It helps soften the cervix, right? Any info would be appreciated.
I am planning a VBAmC, and the midwife that suggested EPO to me said to take it vaginally because taking it orally could possibly cause it to soften the scar tissue on my uterus, as well as my cervix.

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.
#15 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM

EPO can also help if you have scars on your cervix. Also helps keep the lower digestive track well lubricated. I wouldn't take it for a long time without balancing with with Omega 3s though - it is high in Omega 6.

Alot of people swear by RRB, but I am avoiding it this pregnancy, because it causes me to contract. Every body reacts different to these things I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page