Varicose Veins...umm..down there! (TMI) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so they've been pretty uncomfortable on and off for a few months, and at first I didn't really know what they were. But last night I got the mirror out to look, because it was really hurting (DH and I had a meeting that we sat for over an hour). Anyways, it is so swollen and feels so tight and hurts to do anything, especially towards the end of the day. I iced last night and that helped but was wondering if any of you other mamas are dealing with it.

So anyone want to join the club?

I don't really know what else to do to help it but would love tips and also am wondering if this will effect labor at all. It seems so swollen and tight I'm afraid I won't be as "flexible" down there for the little one. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Ouch! That sounds so uncomfortable. Is there a salve or something that might help? I have no idea, but I feel for you.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM

I have them this time around too. OUCH! Forgeting getting "friendly" with DH. It's just horrible afterward.
I did some reading and this is what I learned. They are more common with subsequent pregnancies. They don't necessarily cause any problems in labor/ birth, they just seem to get out of the way and resolve themselves after you heal down there. You can use a remedy that (I think) Hyland has for varicose veins in your legs, that can help. Supportive underwear, elevating your feet (ha!) cold compresses for discomfort.....
That's about all I have. Otherwise, just grin and bear it and remember it's temporary!
Good luck mama!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Thanks for the info. I've definitely found a cold compress to be helpful and it really improves the swelling. Mine are worse when I stand or walk for long periods of time. It gets to the point I just want to cry they are so bad.

I did talk to a friend who had them with her first pregnancy and she said that Tucks Pads helps...I used them pp with DS because of hemrrhoids. She also said that she had some relief when her baby moved out more, so hopefully in the next couple weeks that will be the case.

Ahh the joys of pregnancy!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 AM

I have them there, too, much worse than with my first pregnancy. I'm starting to get them in other weird places. There's one on the roof of my mouth that is starting to bulge out between two of my teeth. (Sorry. That imagery is really gross, isn't it?) It bleeds whenever I brush my teeth. Also one forming inside my nose I think. :

I'm taking a homeopathic for varicose veins, but honestly I don't see that it's doing anything. I just hope they all go away after I give birth.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:12 AM

TMI - specific details here for stretched out blood vessels 'down there' on the perineum: Hemorrhoids and vaginal varicose veins are closely related, blood stretching out the vein as the result of the extra weight put on our perineum. For anal varicose veins (hemorrhoids) they can be gently 'pushed back in' to the rectum (bath or shower is perhaps the best place to do this - as can personal lubricant) starting at the furthest point away from the anus and pushing toward inside. Relaxing and constricting the anus can help provide movement to push the bulge inside, and once in, sometimes the vein can be pushed 'down' even a little more to reduce its swelling. For very large bulges, gentle direct pressure on top of the bulge toward the anus with a few fingertips and anal contraction can reduce the bulge in size and once less painful can be pressed back in as described above. Once the blood vessel is no longer sticking out where it shouldn't be, the discomfort of it is greatly reduced or minimized.

Depending on your specific anatomy and location of your other varicose veins, you can try the same technique to address those: adding firm gentle pressure to direct the blood out of the stretched part of the vein into the rest of the blood system.

DONT DO ANYTHING THAT MAKES IT HURT WORSE though! As in, don't 'force' the vein to shift or move, but take the time to relax and guide the blood out of the swollen portion of the vein.

For veins in the legs, other than the information from Adelle Davis' books on nutrition addressing the specifics of those and phlebitis, i haven't heard that 'pushing the vein' back in helps.

Here are a couple quotes from Adelle Davis' book, "Let's Have Healthy Children" that discusses supplements to help treat these issues - there's a ton more information in the book, of course.

"Several physicians have stressed that it is virtually impossible to have either varicose veins or phlebitis if 400 - 600 units of vitamin E are taken daily; and all who have studied this subject appear to agree that women should be given vitamin E as a supplement throughout every pregnancy." p 60

"[Hemorrhoids] have been produced in volunteers deficient in vitamin B6....I have recommended that several dozen persons having this painful abnormality take 25 milligrams of vitamin B6 at each meal for a few days. All except one have told me that their hemorrhoids completely disappeared. Once the condition is corrected, 10 milligrams of B6 at each meal have prevented a recurrence." pgs 49-50
Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 AM

I don't want to join the club, but I will say that I do get sore down there. I was kinda glad when my mw said that I should try to avoid intercourse because of placenta previa; sex hasn't been enjoyable this pregnancy.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the club. They mostly bother me when I have to stand for too long or sit on the toilet too long. (If I need to be there a while or am straining, I apply counterpressure. Sitting with my feet on a stool helps too.) I keep meaning to get going with witchhazel, but I'm feeling like they're past the point where it's helpful -- I used a witchhazel salve on the veins in my labia and leg in early pregnancy, but they are far worse now. I was lazy with taking b12 after I was out of the first trimester and only recently started taking it again, and I started vit E at the same time -- it did seem to help some, they're not as painful/uncomfortable now as they were a month ago. Walking is a big help.

They didn't seem to be a problem in my past deliveries, though I know the midwives did counterpressure -- not sure if it was for hems or the veins in my labia or both, though. They did go away after the birth, but they tend to bother me during my period. And I can no longer use my keeper at that time -- it creates enough suction that it really aggravates them.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM

I'm expecting my 6th baby, and this is the first time I've had varicose veins near my labia!! I've never had varicose veins anywhere! My veins have always been noticeable, but I didn't know you could get varicose veins near your vagina!
They don't hurt, and I *wish* I hadn't noticed! After 28 weeks, I can't see down there! lol! I bent over, looked and noticed a very dark looking puffy vein, it freaked me out!
I've read about witch hazel, some type of bark sitz bath, elevating legs,butt and feet..I cross my legs a lot and apparently that is a big no-no..
so frustrating and I can't stop thinking about it now. Otherwise, no surprises during this pregnancy!
R
Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to look into Vitamin E to see if that helps.

It's good to know they have not been a problem for you mamas during delivery.

I also get them during my period, which I didn't know what was causing all the discomfort until I figured out what they were recently. Good to know but they are not fun. I envy those who have them and they aren't uncomfortable at all. I agree they are pretty gross looking and when i first took a peek down there (had to use a mirror because the belly's in the way ) I was startled as well.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:16 PM

The really annoying thing is that elevating my feet, etc, is exactly what I'm not supposed to be doing towards the end of the pregnancy in order to keep/move the baby in optimal position for delivery! DS was in an incredibly wonky position, which is why we ended up with a cesarean instead of a homebirth. This time I'm being so careful to not recline or put my feet up at all. It seems we can't win... :
Old 08-12-2007, 01:27 PM

My midwife said to eat blueberries for varicose veins. There are certainly worse treatments out there.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostery View Post
My midwife said to eat blueberries for varicose veins. There are certainly worse treatments out there.
Did she say they work even better sprinkled over ice cream or baked into a crisp? I'm choosing to interpret it that way.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
Did she say they work even better sprinkled over ice cream or baked into a crisp? I'm choosing to interpret it that way.
That interpretation works for me too

How do blueberries help?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamablair View Post
How do blueberries help?
I think it's the antioxidants in them. Vit E is also an antioxidant. I don't know how antioxidants help, though.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamablair View Post
That interpretation works for me too

How do blueberries help?
I did a quick web search. It's the bioflavonoids. They help make capillaries less fragile. The darker the fruit the richer they are in them. So mulberries and blackberries must be amazing.

Good thing it's blackberry season here in the pacific northwest! DD and I got about 8 cups in 10 minutes picking this morning. Now I just have to decide how to eat them --and I'm doing it because it's good for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Suppotive underwear!

User Tag List