What are you doing to get ready? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about trying to get more prepared for the baby coming and how far ahead of time I should do everything. My mom and I were talking this weekend and she said I should go ahead and get as much done as possible before I got really big. I guess she's right!

I had DH drag out my big boxes of baby girl clothes and I'm sorting to see what I have. Once I figure out what I have I'll wash everythng and stack it in the closet in the nursery/office. I have some all my newborn diapers and one sling. I know I need nursing bras and a few more slings.

Has anyone else set up the nursery yet? We're just setting up the changing table and crib (for naps) in the office so I think I'm going to hold off on those for awhile. I still have 10 weeks!

I've also been decluttering but that's more of a general housekeeping thing.

Anyway, I was just wondering how far ahead you're getting things ready!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 PM

You're so good, Stacey. I've done nada. Just too tired all the time. My secret wish is that I'll come home from the birthing center with everything ready, and absolutely no effort on my part. Where's my friggin fairy godmother when I need her??

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post
You're so good, Stacey. I've done nada. Just too tired all the time. My secret wish is that I'll come home from the birthing center with everything ready, and absolutely so effort on my part. Where's my friggin fairy godmother when I need her??
If you find out where they hide, could you send one my way?

The spirit is willing over here, but the flesh is weak. I really want to get stuff ready, but it seems to be about all I can do just to stay on top of my workload and take care of the house. And now my nanny has given notice, and my car got broken into yesterday so now I have to add nanny interviews and replacing the car window to this week's tasks. Oy. At least nothing was taken out of the car. Of course, that is because I keep nothing of value in the car, after having my car vandalized three or four times...

So, to get back on topic, about all I have done is washed and put away some baby clothes. This weekend is dd's birthday party, but next weekend dh will paint Ellen's room, and the weekend after that we are going to IKEA to buy a dresser for her room, so then I can really start nesting in there!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 08-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Well, the freezer thread has inspired me - hopefully this week I'll get some food socked away So far, though, just washing baby clothes and putting them away and working on a diaper stash. I'm having a lot of fun knitting something up for my DDC shower-buddy, though, and am planning to start a project for our little guy next week!!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM

My diaper stash is almost ready, I just need to sew on the velcro. I am so proud of my homemade stash:
I am in the process of scrubbing every used piece of baby gear, washing clothes, slings and anything that can be thrown in the washer incl fabric toys and all...
I figure I really need to get things done before my energy is leaving me, I don't want to hassle with all this when I'm huge. With my last two it was much easier, I could really wait til the end because there was so much less to do. This time I have more things on my list that require lifting, painting, moving things between 3 stories and all that. So what I am saving to be done around beg of October will be stacking the freezer, packing the hospital bag and preparing announcements, Xmas Cards... The easy stuff, yk?

I also think I should take advantage of every little nesting attack I get, cause usually after being active for 2 days my energy is 0 for a week or so and I am glad if I can keep my house clean Let's just say dh was severely ticked yesterday when I made him crawl around in the attic (only about 120F up there with 200% humidity ) to find a suitcase w baby clothes that I NEEDED to wash last night. I made him take the same suitcase up the attic about 3 wks ago : ..... Now let's just see what he has to say tonight when I make him go back up to get the rest of the things :
Guys just don't understand the hormone thing!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:39 PM

Yikes, I feel like a slacker mom now. I have everything in the baby's room all ready to be sorted, washed, and put away. I just haven't done anytihng yet.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Just packed my birth supplies for our move!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well you guys make me feel better! I really haven't done all that much. I bought diapers but only because it was too good of a deal to pass up.

And I dragged the baby clothes out but they're sitting in a huge box in the office. I'm trying to go through them to see what I need soon since DD and this baby will be born during different seasons so a lot of the clothing won't match up. I know I have NOTHING for winter in 3-6 months. My mom also said for me to make her a list of what I need for the baby so that's MAJOR motivation right there!!

I really do want to get things prepped soon though. I'm going to do everything but set up the crib, bassinet and changing table ASAP. We homeschool and have got to get our days in so I need to be somewhat prepared soon!

10 weeks seems like a long time but two people told me at the gym today how close I was! It kinda freaked me out! I've also been on bedrest/semi-bedrest with both my other DC's for the last 2-3 weeks of my pregnancy for blood pressure issues. So I'm trying to have EVERYTHING done before then!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Well, dd's room is done and the living room is almost done being painted and dh still has to put up the crown moulding so that I can get the boxes of decorations for it out of our bedroom. Once that is done, I can set up the changing table and bassinet in our room. I've washed all of the gender neutral clothes and put them away. I need to dig out the prefolds and covers from upstairs and wash them. I am halfway through knitting a blanket for the baby and I would really like to finish that. Other than that, my boobs are leaking and ready, we have a bedrail for our bed and my sling is ready with seven weeks to go.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Short of having DH reassemble the swing, I'm done. I also cleaned all the carpets and moved ALL the furniture this past weekend. All the clothes are sorted, the diapers are rescued out of the Annabelle's outgrown clothing bins and the new baby's maya wrap and haba toys are here.

Okay, I probably need to buy a package of weleda diaper creme too.

Muah ha ha.

OT: Annabelle is currently attempting to take our weenie dog Skippy's blood pressure using DH's car cell charger....... ......cutest kid ever.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 PM

wow... I have done nothing. I still have the crib and changing table up for DD, and the cradle is in one piece, but in another room. I havent washed cradle sheets, crib sheets, sorted through clothes, gotten diapers, nothing. I've made a few knit wool diaper covers... does that count? I have tons of things that need to come down from the attic, out of random closets of storage, sorted/washed/etc. I also still have to buy the fleece and stretchy cotton for my carriers that I want to make. Wow so much to do! I've got less than 9 wks to go now, but I just cant get into it. It really bums me out. (how much I have to do when I'm so exhausted...not the baby)

I'm actually looking forward to the little one being born so I can have my body back and start my diet more than anything. I'm so sick of being big and exhausted and big (did I mention big?) all the time.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:44 PM

I actually have all the baby clothes washed and put in drawers! I was in desperate need of storage space and that freed up a whole bin for me. I'm feeding the freezer and working hard on wrapping up the baby projects, the DD projects, and the house projects that I know will wait another year if I don't do them now.

I borrowed a friend's snuggle-rest for the baby to sleep in and I think I'll borrow a moses basket.

I do need another single futon for the girl's room. I think that if DD1 has trouble sleeping through the baby's night wakings she'll end up in her room and DH might just end up on the floor next to her. I hate to imagine his back the next morning if he tried to curl up with her on a single bed.

And it would be kind of nice if I could get x-mas presents squared away. I doubt I'll be shopping much for a while after DD2 arrives.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:26 PM

I haven't done much -- just got my HotSling, ordered a carseat cover, and I actually cleaned out the closet in the computer room that is going to be baby's room at some point, so I have some place to put the clothes once I dig them out and wash them (which I haven't done). I'm going to order some CD's to try and also a Baby Hawk, but with the shopping I've done recently I think I'll wait until next month LOL

My mom is supposed to be making us curtains, but no rush as baby will really be in our room. I was going to get a co-sleeper but friends are going to lend us a bassinet that the side comes down on like a co-sleeper anyway, so we'll see how that goes.

I need to dig out the baby toys and wash them, figure out where the heck we're going to put the computer desk, get supplies for me...There's time, right?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 PM

I have the bassinett setup in my bedroom...working on the nursery this weekend though because I can't move the big boxes around by myself. Plus...i have to finish unpacking everything else from my move this weekend. I also washed and sorted all the baby clothes i got from my baby shower
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 PM

I guess we've been nesting for months now. I just don't feel like this place is clean enough or how I want it to have my baby in. I was actually telling my mw it feels more stressful to have a hb than to just go to the hospital. Of course I won't go and I hate laboring in a car
Anyway, I've gone through the bags of hand-me-downs from my aunt and switched the front room and bedroom around. I figure we'll side-car the crib the beginning of October, turn the car seat around the first time we need to go somewhere and get diapers at some point in October My friend wants to throw me a shower and I gave her the idea of a neccesity shower I have gotten so many clothes from my aunt, so I'm good there.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM

Well the nursrey is done minus a new curtain and vent. I've organized all clothes +3 months into bins and washed and put away all the newborn stuff. I also got a TON of toys and books so I've organized those by age apropriatance and put some out.

I'm not doing any diaper shopping yet b/c I'm hoping to get all of that for my shower

Dh and I started organizing the house but, we've taken a break. We need to repaint baby's bathroom and organize the basement as well as the office.

I haven't cooked at all yet, DH assures me he'll do all the cooking ( he is a good cook) but I still think I'll do some so he csn spend more time with us.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 PM

almost 11 weeks to go and the only thing I have is washed my baby's nappies/diapers and a few clothes.

I said to DH yesterday that we have to start cleaning out the baby's room and gradually start setting it up.

The baby isn't going to sleep there straight away but I really want to set up her room because once she arrives we won't have time between a toddler and a newborn/infant.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
Yikes, I feel like a slacker mom now. I have everything in the baby's room all ready to be sorted, washed, and put away. I just haven't done anytihng yet.
How can you be a slacker mom - you have a designated place to put the kid and supplies out already!!! I haven't even gotten that far!!!! I do have 5 new diapers i got in the mail last week .... think that will be enough?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalthinker View Post
How can you be a slacker mom - you have a designated place to put the kid and supplies out already!!! I haven't even gotten that far!!!! I do have 5 new diapers i got in the mail last week .... think that will be enough?
Hah, I only have a place for the kid because we bought a new house right when we got pregnant, and as we were moving in we said "this is the baby's room" and didn't put anything else in it. I wanted to paint it and stuff before the baby was born but I doubt that's going to happen. I could use some nesting instinct, my house is a mess.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 08-14-2007, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been steadily working on diaper stash - which is one of the biggest things I actually NEED - not just want. So I am trying to make sure I have enough, but not too many - ya know how that goes? I guess that's really the biggest thing I've been working on. It's been great to have packages of tiny fluff coming in! I just got out all (I think) of the NB dipes I have left from Iain, so I've counted those up and can now make some "final" decisions.

The very biggest thing I have to do now is just get the house ready! I totally agree - it's a lot less worrisome if you're heading to the hospital, but there's NO WAY I'm doing that! I need to make a loooong list of what all needs to get done and tackle it at every opportunity. I'm with the other mamas who have a burst of energy and then NONE for a while. So it's frustrating, but hopefully more will be forthcoming!

My MW comes again on Thursday and hopefully I can ask her about birth supplies then. I don't remember what all we need and want, most of all, to be prepared for the birth. I still need to make a final decision on a labor/birth pool, too.

And the list grows....

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 AM

All that I really really need to do is to order my nursing bras and some baby lotions/ diaper creams. Oh and register at the hospital and install the carseat in a couple of weeks. It feels good to be down to the last bits.

I still feel like I need to:

finish sewing my burp clothes
sew as many size medium diapers as I can (did nb and s already)
sew DD's Halloween costume- not exactly baby but needs to be done
straighten up the house a ton
stock up the pantry

I guess thats about it..... wow I really don't have that much to do anyway. I am so glad nesting took hold so early. My pelvic bones are killing me- so I can not do to much at a time anymore.

Good luck with nesting and getting everything done!

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

So far, I have painted the nursery which inspired dh to set up the crib. So far so good. I still have to get a changing table and dh wants a travel system for the baby. I don't know if we need the expensive version he picked out, but you know....men and cars.

The next project is painting our bedroom. And I have not started washing any baby clothes or diapers yet. Still waiting for my diaper starter stash that I ordered and the babyhawk. Will buy the nursing bras etc. when my milk comes in.

Other than that, I need to clean all the carpets in this house. We moved in in May and they are pretty bad.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM

I seriously can't even read this thread - I am SO behind! I just haven't been motivated lately for some reason... I'm slowly getting though my list of stuff (finalizing hospital choice, getting my maternity leave stuff done, picking health insurance for the baby, etc.) but the stuff for the actual baby and the house is not getting done!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Looks like I'm somewhere in that middle ground with getting ready.

I have almost all the diapers ready. I'm still waiting on some secondhand M Fuzzi Bunz to finish out my stash. My girl gained weight so fast that we literally went from NB/S dipes to Larges, skipping the Mediums, so I had to flesh things out a bit there.

I have her leftover clothes and a bunch of boy clothes a friend gave me, so we're covered whatever the gender. And I have a friend that's due shortly after I am that knows she's having a boy, so if this ends up being another girl then I'll just pass the boy stuff over to her.

All the boy stuff is washed and ready, but I need to find the bin with the girl stuff and get it freshened up. All the 0-6 month stuff in both collections is pretty gender-neutral, though. yay!

We need to set up the crib sidecar-style in our room yet, and get the carseats put in our cars. I don't think there's much else that I've got to do.... but I do think I will start in on stocking the freezer soon - that's an awesome idea!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 PM

I am so completely impressed with how organized, or at least THINKING of how to organize, that everyone is! I've been so distracted that I have not even dug out our newborn-size diapers from my son's infancy... We are seriously short on space, so we're not even sure where to PUT the baby's things- no changing table this time around because last time we barely ever used it, kind of changed him wherever....have to set up our cosleeper, get the hb supplies, register at the hospital "just in case"....Have to try to find newborn 'gender neutral' clothes....we think this is a girl, but don't REALLY know, and we wouldn't want ALL ribbons and bows anyway.
I am actually most concerned at this point with setting up a postpartum support system to deal with having a 3 year-old and a newborn; try to fend off any question of postpartum depression! Has anyone else formalized that sort of thing- hired a PP doula or ensured that parents or friends can be around to help? I am lucky in that my dh is a professor and can take more time to be at home than many partners..... just curious!
Jenny
Old 08-15-2007, 02:26 PM

I started setting up after stuff when I was 3 months along I will have my dh for 2 weeks and my parents will come for 2.5 more weeks. i worked it out that i will help help until Thanksgiving break and then Christmas is just 4 weeks later So hopefully I will survive.

I had severe ppd after my second so I'm doing everything possible to prevent it this time around. Currently I am in therapy being watched for it and taking fish oil.

I've also set up labor help. My mom will be here to video (she's really good at videoing things that need to be video'ed) my dad will be taking the boys. The older one to school and playing with the younger one. So yes, I wanted to make sure this kind of stuff was taken care of so I wouldn't have to question what was going on.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM

I have a part-time nanny that takes care of dd while I work, so I will continue to employ her through mat. leave. That gives me three hours a day of support, which I think will be enough. If not, I will look into a post partum doula or more extended child care. I do have a lot of friends in the area who are available during at least some daytime hours. The biggest thing is allowing myself to ask for help - NOT something I am good at!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 AM

I'm just winging it as far as handling the 3-year-old and the newborn goes.

I actually just took my daughter OUT of preschool even, so I'll have both full-time. We're using these last couple of months to get into a good groove, so hopefully we'll just be able to integrate the baby into an already existing home system. I think it'll work out OK, as I'm pretty laid-back and don't mind when plans have to be modified on the fly. ;D
Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Guys, don't sweat going from 1 to 2 children. It was such an easy transition for me. DS was so lonely for someone to play with that he was dressing DD up in his dress-up clothes as soon as she could sit up. It was sooooo cute!!!

That being said, I am a bit nervous about going from 2 to 3. Mine are a tad older now (3 1/2 and 6) and it's been awhile since we've been in that "baby stage". Adding another one should be interesting.. :

Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 AM

Hmmm.. I have been trying to figure out what do I really need to do??? We are co-sleeping, we already have a king sized bed so I am just visualizing the 4 of us fitting on it... It looks like it is possible, when it was just 3 we were on a full sized bed for the 1st half of dd's life, then a queen, so it seems another body shouldn't be a problem.

I have a bunch of hand-me down clothes (I wish toddler clothes came by so easily!!!)

There are some toys but really what does a new baby need to "play" with, that doesn't seem to be a real priority in my book.

I want a new car seat but I have a baby car seat so if we don't get the extra money for a new one it isn't the end of the world....

I have some dipes, maybe not enough for a complete supply....

I am attempting to order a mei tai from a local SAHM, hopefully she can make it, otherwise I will just order one from the internet, not much effort for that.

I decluttered once, the only other thing that NEEDS decluttering is the Florida room which is really dp's territory, nagging is not making him move any faster... he needs some NESTING instincts!!!

I have a little swing in case this baby likes that type of thing and I have a bouncer seat for those moments when I can't have another human attached to my body.

What am I forgetting here? It seems I don't need anything or need to do anything.... BUT I really haven't DONE anything!

User Tag List