Any other married gals have to take off their rings yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to take my rings off today We went to the wild animal park and my fingers swelled up like sausages (it was so freaking hot) and I was afraid I was going to have to have my rings cut off. Luckily, I didn't have to, I waited until after we got home, after drinking tons of water (all day) and cooling down, and my hands went down a little to try to take them off again. (I tried a few times at the park, couldn't get them off with lotion or soap, it was awful.) It hurt really badly to take them off tonight, my fingers were still a little big for them, but I knew it was time to take them off before it got really bad. I have them on a chain now. I remember I had to do this when I was pg with Emily, but I could have sworn I had to take them off much earlier than 32 weeks, so I guess I'm doing a pretty good job this time around (or I'm just not as observant!)
#2 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 AM

I had my band sized a tad larger than my engagement ring. I haven't worn my engagement ring the entire pregnancy and when I looked at it the other day it clearly would not have been comfortable to force it on. But my band is A-ok. I'm glad I had it sized a tad larger.
#3 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
I had my band sized a tad larger than my engagement ring. I haven't worn my engagement ring the entire pregnancy and when I looked at it the other day it clearly would not have been comfortable to force it on. But my band is A-ok. I'm glad I had it sized a tad larger.
I think mine are sized with 1/2 a size difference, I thought that would help, but no dice
#4 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 03:34 AM

With DD #1 I took both off, but this time I have kept the wedding band on and so far I can still get it off and on ok. My solitaire will just have to wait until after baby comes.
#5 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 AM

I had to take mine off about 5 months ago. It was very painful and did not fit at all. I had so much swelling. Prior to that I had kept wearing it, and gotten stuck on my finger more than once. I don't like this at all though, and have actually had a couple of guys hit on me. : EXCUSE ME, I am a huge pregnant woman toting around 2 very little kids.

Mama to 9 year-old girl , and a 7 year-old boy :, and my big little 6 year-old boy, and a 4 year-old boy
#6 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 AM

Mine was cut off two pregnancies ago

During ds2's pregnancy, I just swelled up overnight really badly, and it hurt so bad, dh had to cut them off. I was so sad, though there is a plus side. I never liked the set, and this means eventually I'll get a new one . I do have a really big ring that when I'm feeling bothered by the lack I can still wear, but it just rubs wrong and bugs me, so I don't bother much these day.

I'm still crossing my breath for my mom in law to find a set she likes. They have been in the market for a new set for years now, and already said we can have their set, which we both LOVE and is way beyond our current price range lol
#7 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 AM

I took my band off a few weeks ago. I never wear the engagement ring or whatever. I am currently wearing my grandmothers wedding ring that only fits when I am PG! I feel connected to her, which is awesome! Speaking of rings, have you ever checked these out..
www.greencarat.com
They have really pretty things, and I like their philosophy! Just thought I would share
#8 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 PM

Mine came off two weeks ago. I am wearing the ring that dh gave me in high school on my ring finger now and it is big enough to stay on the rest of the pregnancy.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#9 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 12:07 PM

Mine was too big from where I lost weight before getting pregnant with DS so I lost it a year ago or so : I don't wear my engagement ring either because I'm afraid of losing it too but it might actually fit now that my hands have gotten even fatter.
#10 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM

I had to take mine off a couple of months ago. Luckily, my engagement ring is a 1/2 size larger than my wedding ring, because I wear it as a right hand ring, so I just transferred that to my left hand. I think I am doing pretty good too, because I remember that toward the end of my pg with Sofie I had to take both off and go get a plain silver band. Guess I cared more what people thought back then.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#11 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM

My wedding band is slightly larger than my engagement ring, and I haven't taken it off since my wedding day. My engagement ring comes on and off as I swell and shrink.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#12 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM

: I have never had to take off my ring (I only have one) during a pregnancy. Even here in hot-ass Yuma.

However, I'm really conscientious about going swimming EVERY day, because I know it helps displace water that my body retains. In gentlebirth there's even a thing about how to swim PROPERLY during pregnancy to help with water retention Pee before you get in, drink a huge glass of water while swimming, get out and pee frequently... also I salt to taste (per Brewer's) and drink lots of water.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#13 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM

My ring has been off since April. I have very skinny fingers and it usually get's tight in the summer. I figured I would take it off sooner rather than later.

Although, funny moment. We went to Arbys, just me and the kids and I got lots of pity looks. Me, the single mom with two kids and one on the way. Too bad they didn't feel bad enough to buy us dinner :
#14 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 PM

I had to get my wedding band cut off earlier in the summer I had taken off my engagement ring and wrap earlier so they are still intact.
#15 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM

my rings have been off for forever already... but I have gained waaay too much weight this pregnancy
#16 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Mine have been off for probably 2 months already... I've put on a lot of weight and a ton of water!!! My watch is barely fitting at this point.

Oh, and I had a NECKLACE barely fit yesterday. That was fun - even my neck has gotten fat.
#17 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 03:48 PM

I took mine off in my first tri just to be safe. I had to have it cut off with DD and I was so upset! I just got it fixed last fall so I took it off before it got warm this time. I didn't want to have it cut again!!! My fingers always swell like crazy when I'm pg!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#18 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 05:19 PM

I've been wearing mine around my neck for the last week or so. I was wearing it and trying to twist it at times and it wouldn't budge. I tried to take it off and it hurt so bad and took a lot of hard tugs to get it off. I just decided that I'd rather not chance having to cut it off.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#19 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 05:44 PM

the ring has been retired to the jewelry box for the time being.... now I get the dirtiest looks from people. Geez, I know I look young, but come on people, I'm not 12!

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#20 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Mine would still fit me, hadn't I flushed it down the toilet accidently last year. Seriously, I didn't mean to... I still feel horrible about it. Dh promised me a new one for our 50th anniversary. Awesome, only 40.5 more years to go:
#21 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Questiongal, I had my first at 21 and got the same thing! I was at the mall getting something when the cashier gave me a dirty look, asked if I wanted to apply for their credit card, I said no and she asked if I was even old enough to apply for one. UGH, some people. Besides, even if I was an unwed mother, what's it to them to give me dirty looks.

mittendrin, You should really convince him earlier would be better. Maybe 15 years That's just mean to have to wait that long....
#22 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionGal View Post
the ring has been retired to the jewelry box for the time being.... now I get the dirtiest looks from people. Geez, I know I look young, but come on people, I'm not 12!
I had my first 2 months shy of my 22nd birthday and got a lot of looks too! I had my rings on a chain around my neck, but still, I'd get looks. I had a lot of people assume I was having back to back children, unwed, because I was watching a little boy while I was pregnant with Emily (he's only 6 months older than Emily, so it's virtually impossible! Ok, I know it's possible, so that's why I said virtually.) I never had anyone say anything to me though, someone told me once I look mean in person (????) and that people don't want to mess with me. I'm just like, whatever works
#23 of 28 Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 PM

I took my wedding ring off about 5 months (can't remember exactly when) as I have chubby fingers and I was swelling slightly at night so it was becoming uncomfortable but I could still wear them (though during the day I was usually OK). I swore if I had to take them off I'd buy a cheap ring that's bigger to wear in its place so I wouldn't get the poor single mother look from people. I haven't yet (got the look or the ring) but I did have one person mention that I wasn't wearing it. It took a while to get used to but I'm OK with it now (for the most part).
#24 of 28 Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Mine came off at week 15. Mostly because I remembered what you experienced... trying to get them off too late hurts! I have gotten some weird looks though. In this day and age, you'd think not wearing wedding rings while preggers wouldn't be a big deal. Lordy.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#25 of 28 Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

I think I took mine off in the second month. It was just easier. By the 4th month when all the blood started to pump in there there was no way!
#26 of 28 Old 08-25-2007, 01:58 PM

You know, I was just telling DH how many looks I get when I don't wear my ring. I am not a jewelry person, so most of the time I forget it. People really treat you different. That is just so crazy (not to mention sad). I had an old lady at a store the other day notice I wasn't wearing a ring. She saw that I am PG and that I have DS. She said "You look so young to have so many kids." I was like "Well, I am 27 so I think I am fine." My MIL was there with me and she said "I had four kids by the time I was her age!"
What a jerk though, I guess you had to hear the way she was talking to me to see her meaning. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!
#27 of 28 Old 08-25-2007, 04:17 PM

I haven't had to take mine off yet, although it has been H-O-T here so I don't wear them if I know I'm going to be outside for any period of time. I always take them off when I'm home because I wash my hands so much and am always getting icky/dirty with my daughter.

my first pregnancy I had to take them off at 16 weeks, because I had gained so much weight and swollen already by then, so I am doing a lot better this time

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#28 of 28 Old 08-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Last pregnancy DH bought me a band with diamond chips in a size larger (for our anniversary) to wear when they wouldn't fit. Well.....now that one is uncomfortable! So yea, I am not wearing anything now. Funny thing, the looks you get with an 18 month old and pregnant with no ring....I just want to screm "Stop looking, yes I am married, have you ever heard of swelling!?!?!"

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page