Baby belly, plus a belly 'apron' not so good in the hot weather...(yeast?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm overweight. I was 250 when I got pregnant. I naturally had the little hangy belly thing before the baby started to protrude. It's not an prominant as I've seen in some overweight people because I carry my weight pretty evenly over my whole body.

But, in the last 4 days I've slowly gotten a flaming red, burning, itching rash under the right side of my belly. I thought it was a pimple at first. Then the night before last my husband was trying to use a trimmer to help get rid of some of the bushy hairs I can't reach--and he noticed it was red. Then, last night I took off my underwear and yelped because the elastic from my underwear was lodged up in it. YOUCH!

I lifted up my belly (baby and tummy itself) and saw red streaks kind of going from the top of my hip bone, almost down to where my labia would start--but it's all in the crease of my leg and belly fat. Of course, yesterday was quite warm, I took a long walk with my daughter, stayed at the park for a while, then walked home in the heat.

I think it's yeast. After washing it with gentle soap I tried to lay in such a way that it could air out. My husband sprayed some anti fungal on there--but that kind of freaks me out, because I'm not sure how good that is during pregnancy. Of course, laying in a way that would allow the area fresh air and dryness hurt my back and gave me leg cramps all night long. So it didn't work out so well.

I called the midwive's advice line and their immediate response was "We need to get you in". Okay... so now I have an appointment with a male OB. Grrr. The last thing I want to do right now is discuss my weight issues and how they've lead to my producing a lovely breeding grounds for yeast. To this point the OBs and midwives have been pretty great and not mentioned my weight--but I imagine the lack of weight gain has kept those comments at bay.

I did have a yogurt smoothie for breakfast with no sugar--in hopes that it might help. But, damn, I don't even know if it's yeast. I need some kind of assurance that I don't have a horrid infection that might effect my baby, you know?
#2 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM

Not in your DDC, but I too am plus-sized and have experienced a yeast rash before. I just made sure the area was very clean and dry and then powdered the area...with talc....not containing cornstarch. I found out that constarch feeds yeast....ick!!! It would disappear in a day or so for me after that. I hope that is all it is for you as well.

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#3 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 04:27 PM

I'll admit it- I get this under my breasts as well as tummy and I use diaper cream to help the pain. I will also take a cloth pad or baby burp cloth and put in under the area to help dry the moisture up.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM

Try rinsing with vinegar water. Not comfortable, but helps treat and prevent it. I have this problem every summer, I'm overweight, but not super much, just very sensitive skin, so this is a big problem to me (and under breasts too lol)
#5 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Rinse with vinegar water, blow it dry, then try an anti-fungal powder on it. It's topical, so I doubt any of it is getting to the baby. I get fungus under my breasts and on my labia, and it's annoying. I use a powder called Zeasorb, it's pricy but worth it IMO. Good luck.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#6 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Take some paper towels and fold them and put them there to keep the area dry. Also get some powder called Zesorb (maybe Zeasorb) should be next to gold bond and keep that on there. Keep it dry dry dry and it will go away.
#7 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 PM

I'd recommend soaking in a bath with 1 cup of salt and one cup of vinegar to get the area nice and clean and then let it air out as much as you can. Do this every day if possible. This will really increase your comfort.
You might consider wearing a support garment to keep the area a little more open if you can do that.
I don't think this is a problem for your baby until labor - you just want to make sure to treat it before then. Your midwife or OB may recommend treating the area with gentian violet - messy but damn effective.
#8 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyWronk View Post
I'd recommend soaking in a bath with 1 cup of salt and one cup of vinegar to get the area nice and clean and then let it air out as much as you can. Do this every day if possible. This will really increase your comfort.
You might consider wearing a support garment to keep the area a little more open if you can do that.
I don't think this is a problem for your baby until labor - you just want to make sure to treat it before then. Your midwife or OB may recommend treating the area with gentian violet - messy but damn effective.
I was surprised, but they gave me nystatin hich many of my friends who've had thrush have used to treat their nipples/breasts. If I had the time to wait for it to heal on it own--without a 4 year old who wants to be out and about all the time--I would gladly lounge about with the plan of letting it air out. But, alas, she won't have any part of being stuck at home all day, you know?

But, that reminds me it never hurts to have gentian violet around just in case thursh does pop up!
#9 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miny20 View Post
I was surprised, but they gave me nystatin hich many of my friends who've had thrush have used to treat their nipples/breasts.
Nystatin is a common antifungal used to treat skin fungal infections. It comes in a powder and a cream, and it's very effective. I've seen it used on breasts, bellies, groins, and buttocks. I still recommend rinsing with vinegar water and drying thoroughly before applying it, though, it will help it clear up MUCH faster. When it is cleared up, continue keeping the area dry and powdered to prevent a relapse. And eat your yogurt!

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#10 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I would take a bath and then lay naked and let it dry completely. Air exposure and light are great, as yeast thrives in a warm, damp and dark area.

Nystatin is pretty ineffective as it's been so overused that yeast is becoming resistant to it! I would just buy some Monistat or Canesten cream (used for vaginal yeast) and apply that... it's safe in pregnancy.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#11 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 04:36 AM

I just wanted to send you some clear-up fast thoughts!
#12 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 AM

I'm not in your DDC, but I am a bountiful mama. I have good luck with a schmear of shea butter on the affected area. By morning it's a lot better.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page