Chigger bites-natural itch remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got attacked by what I think are chiggers this last weekend. I have hundreds of bites on my body. What are some natural itch relievers? I have OCD and things that itch do not work well for me. help?
#2 of 11 Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM

How about aloe? That's what I use.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#3 of 11 Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM

What's a chigger? : I don't think we have those on the west coast...
#4 of 11 Old 09-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Oh, so sorry to hear that. I hate being itchy, too.

I think, chiggers are mites, right? They should have something for those in the Pharmacy - is all I can say. Luckily no chiggers here, just a couple of weird mites on my lawnchairs which bit both myself and my husband when sitting down on them.
#5 of 11 Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM

I have a natural itch reliever that I use on the kids for bites that list the main ingredient as Eucalyptus oil. It works OK. Could a mild tea tree oil in a carrier oil work?

My daughter has bad reactions to all bug bites and itches like crazy. The only thing that REALLY works for her is mild (0.5%) cortisone cream : which I realize won't be popular on this board but it works for her.

HTH
#6 of 11 Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! Here is a link about chiggers for anyone interested! Horrible little critters I tell you! I am considering scrubbing myself with sandpaper for some relief. Instant gratification, but would hurt like hell later.. I know!
#7 of 11 Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM

OK, not so useful depending on where you live in the world right now (i.e. summertime heat), but for the OCD person, some pants or a long dress to keep you from scratching is the most useful thing I've found. Sorry you got hit. I visited Austin earlier in the pregnancy and didn't realize that mosquitos were out in full force one long evening outside and I still have legs covered with scars from bite after bite after bite...which I did a good job of not scratching, but it's like my body isn't working on healing itself until teh baby is out or something. Really annoying. The bites took a long time (like, longer than usual) to heal...which I presume is due to my being pregnant. Good luck!

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

#8 of 11 Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
chiggers was the worst experience ive ever had. If I were ever cursed with PUPPPS during pregnancy, I bet its like chiggers.

I was naked for almost a week, almost all the time, honestly.. all arounda ll my elastic is where the chiggers wre, I had more than 100 also.

UGH!

I have no magic cream for you, but I rememebr it vividly and Im so sorry youre dealing with this!!!
#9 of 11 Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 AM

I've heard of putting clear nail polish over them and it kills them and makes the itching going away.
#10 of 11 Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

They aren't actually in your skin, it is just a bite. I had always heard that too, but it is a myth. Fingernail polish can stop the itch, but most of it has formaldahyde in it (yuck). The main concern from chigger bites (other than the desire to scratch yourself to death) is infection. I am trying to keep them clean. I have a little thing of TTO that has some alcohol in it along with some other thngs (I think it is that little bottle from Burt's Bees for blemishes), that is actually working. It doesn't last long, but sometimes a temporary reprieve is all I can ask for!
#11 of 11 Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleines View Post
Thanks for the ideas! Here is a link about chiggers for anyone interested! Horrible little critters I tell you! I am considering scrubbing myself with sandpaper for some relief. Instant gratification, but would hurt like hell later.. I know!
Good Lord! I had no idea. : Yet another reason to be glad I live in Oregon. Hope you find some relief soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page