Contents of mailbox really ticked me off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a big box of formula in the mail today! I can't figure out why or how Similac got my name, but I am one cheesed off mama! I'm going to call and demand to find out how they got my name and demand they take me off their mailing list.
#2 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM

i got a letter from a car dealership saying they were offering special deals for those who were expanding their families and i qualify for like $37000 for a car.....

they must not have checked my credit, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#3 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM

I'd write them a nice thank you letter for their donation and I'd give it to a shelter or food bank or something. I'd say that if they wanted to donate more I'd gladly receive it and make sure it got into the hands of formula feeding mothers.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#4 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post
I'd write them a nice thank you letter for their donation and I'd give it to a shelter or food bank or something. I'd say that if they wanted to donate more I'd gladly receive it and make sure it got into the hands of formula feeding mothers.
OOOOOh Thats a good idea.
#5 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post
And here I was thinking about selling it on ebay, that's a better plan though
#6 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
they must have sent ours out on the same day, I got a box of similac in the mail today too. Its still on my porch.
#7 of 28 Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have never seen an OB in this pregnancy but went to the ER for a suspected blood clot in my leg and have since been receiving $5 coupons for formula. WTH?
#8 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 AM

Have you been shopping at Motherhood, Mimi Maternity, or Pea in a Pod?

They're awful and sell their customers' information to formula companies. I had a fight with a salesgirl at Motherhood about not giving her my info. It was ugly and I wrote a letter to the company after the incident. I never heard from them but I will NOT buy anything from any of those stores. It's evil to undermine nursing for profit.
#9 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
I have never seen an OB in this pregnancy but went to the ER for a suspected blood clot in my leg and have since been receiving $5 coupons for formula. WTH?
Oh gosh! I went to the military l&d for the fall last month!
#10 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Have you been shopping at Motherhood, Mimi Maternity, or Pea in a Pod?

They're awful and sell their customers' information to formula companies. I had a fight with a salesgirl at Motherhood about not giving her my info. It was ugly and I wrote a letter to the company after the incident. I never heard from them but I will NOT buy anything from any of those stores. It's evil to undermine nursing for profit.
I've bought from Motherhood, paid with cash, but we didn't give our information out for that very reason.
#11 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 AM

I guess I dont get upset about getting free stuff, even if I don't plan to use it. I dont think that formula undermines bf'ing because it has its place, just like cribs in a cosleeping family (we used ours for naps and then for holding stuffed animals) and atm its for the baby "stuff" that DD would love to climb all over and it keeps it out of her reach.

I'll probably have some formula in the house this time just like we did last time for emergencies. We gave DD maybe 2-3 bottles during the whole first year when for whatever reason I couldn't BF (I was sick at one point and left DD with DH at another point without leaving quite enough milk at another).

You never know whats going to happen ahead of time. There was a momma here on the boards that got stuck at the hospital and her baby was at home for a day without her due to a snowstorm.

Just saying that it has its place. Kinda like my disposable diapers that are gathering dust on my shelf, only to be used in extreme diapering emergencies.
#12 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 AM

I just got a box too, with two cans of formula and some coupons. I will just give it all to my SIL who is a social worker. She encourages BF with her clients, but many of them just won't do it. I guess those babies need to eat too, huh? I don't mind getting the stuff, b/c they aren't changing MY mind or influencing ME in any way. I just hate to think of all the people that are teetering on the edge in their decision. If that makes sense! I also got a coupon for a free diaper bag to take to the hospital (it is full of formula).
#13 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
I got a big box of formula in the mail today! I can't figure out why or how Similac got my name, but I am one cheesed off mama! I'm going to call and demand to find out how they got my name and demand they take me off their mailing list.
I got the same box yesterday!! It had two little cans of Similac in them right? Interesting...I was wondering how they got my info too.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#14 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 11:21 AM

Giving away free formula to new mothers completely undermines breastfeeding. There is a very ugly history of formula companies explicitly waging campaigns to get women to formula feed. In many developing countries, Nestle and other companies pay women to dress as "nurses" and give new moms "free" samples. Moms become convinced that this is easier or better and then poof their supplies are gone and there's no more free formula. Babies starve. They become poisoned from dirty water. Their immune systems suffer and they become more prone to infections.

It is not benign. They are not complimentary. There is an explicit profit motive and many babies around the world have died because of these tactics. I really suggest you read up on this issue.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/
http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/...ile.cfm?id=269
http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Money-Mad...0384441&sr=1-1
#15 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Giving away free formula to new mothers completely undermines breastfeeding. There is a very ugly history of formula companies explicitly waging campaigns to get women to formula feed. In many developing countries, Nestle and other companies pay women to dress as "nurses" and give new moms "free" samples. Moms become convinced that this is easier or better and then poof their supplies are gone and there's no more free formula. Babies starve. They become poisoned from dirty water. Their immune systems suffer and they become more prone to infections.

It is not benign. They are not complimentary. There is an explicit profit motive and many babies around the world have died because of these tactics. I really suggest you read up on this issue.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/
http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/...ile.cfm?id=269
http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Money-Mad...0384441&sr=1-1
Exactly, that's what enrages me about this. The people at Similac acted like I was crazy not to want to be part of their Welcome Addition Club.
#16 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I found out that they got my name from American Baby magazine (I never even subscribed for that) and Experian....

If you want to find out who sold your information, call this number:
1-800-232-7677

It's for the welcome addition club, say you want to be taken off the mailing list and you'll be transferred to a supervisor who can tell you where they got your information.
#17 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

I know exactly how you feel. I was ready to throw the similac away with my last pregnancy and just laughed at it until....I didn't produce milk and my baby was starving and we needed something to feed him. I was grateful it was there. I was also very appreciative of all the people who gave me all their formula when their milk came in and passed on all the large dollar off cupons. You can just pass it on to someone in need.

It's all good....for someone.
#18 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Jumping in from Nov DDC...

There was a poll here a while back and it looked like moms who'd filled out surverys saying "I'm only going to BF" got innundated with samples and coupons while those who said they'd FF got almost nothing.

I have been one of the ones noting who FF's and giving them my checks and coupons. I've gotten some full sized samples and vouchers for $5 and even a few for $15 off formula! : Crap, I'm glad to not need that!
#19 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Can ya send it back, postage due?
#20 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLlama View Post

There was a poll here a while back and it looked like moms who'd filled out surverys saying "I'm only going to BF" got innundated with samples and coupons while those who said they'd FF got almost nothing.

I have been one of the ones noting who FF's and giving them my checks and coupons. I've gotten some full sized samples and vouchers for $5 and even a few for $15 off formula! : Crap, I'm glad to not need that!
Yeah, you definitely get more if you mark you're going to bf. I marked that with dd and got 16 cans of formula! A friend marked ff and got bupkiss.
#21 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM

I hate the way formula companies market.

They are really insidious they way they get their names out there. When I went to a hospital for emergency surgery when dd was 3w old, the nurse offered me nursing pads for while I was in surgery. I opened them up and they were made BY similac. (Or sponsored or something. Basically they said SIMILAC in huge letters. Why is a formula company sponsoring nursing pads?!!??!)

Of course we boycott Nestle also.

Yes, there is a genuine need for formula, but I feel like that need is very rare vs how many mothers actually formula feed. I had a breast reduction surgery and I still bf, if I can do it, almost anyone can.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#22 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 PM

I was reading somewhere about how in third world countries Nestle will supply the doctor's offices with all their decorations and even the Rx pads have pictures of formula on them so when the mothers go into get a prescription for something the doctor writes it on the formula pad. The mother, not knowing how to read, takes it in to the pharmacy and finds the picture that matches the one on the script pad Starts to feed her baby formula and you know the story from there. That's just one shady practice, there are many many more.
#23 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 02:41 AM

I got the case o' formula too. I donated mine to a charity on our military base. I didn't want to risk having it in the house because that helped lead to the demise of breastfeeding with my last baby. They sent me home with those oh-so-convenient ready to feed bottles and I caved in the middle of the night after I thought I wasn't satisfying her.
Did anyone see the pamphlet in the case? it had one tiny little part about breastfeeding and the rest was about how awesome formula is and close to breastmilk (WHATEVER!!). And its convenience was shoved down your throat too.
#24 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: to swimswamswum's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicitoria View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I was ready to throw the similac away with my last pregnancy and just laughed at it until....I didn't produce milk and my baby was starving and we needed something to feed him. I was grateful it was there. I was also very appreciative of all the people who gave me all their formula when their milk came in and passed on all the large dollar off cupons. You can just pass it on to someone in need.

It's all good....for someone.
But the thing is, if anyone wants formula for an emergency back up (and I can totally understand that), they can choose to go to the store and get some. The formula companies aren't altruistically sending out cases of formula just in case someone who is planning to bf needs some in an emergency; they send out the samples because it has been proven to undermine breastfeeding, which equals profit for them.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#25 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug711 View Post
I got the case o' formula too. I donated mine to a charity on our military base. I didn't want to risk having it in the house because that helped lead to the demise of breastfeeding with my last baby. They sent me home with those oh-so-convenient ready to feed bottles and I caved in the middle of the night after I thought I wasn't satisfying her.
Did anyone see the pamphlet in the case? it had one tiny little part about breastfeeding and the rest was about how awesome formula is and close to breastmilk (WHATEVER!!). And its convenience was shoved down your throat too.

This is the main thing for me. I have heard soooo many moms say that they gave in to the temptation to FF because they had samples right there in the cupboard. That is why the companies mail them out for free. It certainly isn't to be nice...It is marketing that is working VERY WELL for them. It infuriates me that maternity wards pass out formula samples as well as giving your info to formula companies.

Oh...and no more shopping at Motherhood or any other stores that do this. I am going to tell other mamas about that.
#26 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 PM

We got Similac samples, enfamil checks, and pampers all in the same day! :
#27 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 AM

In the UK this isn't allowed. Formula makers aren't even allowed to have adverts on TV or in magazines for their products. They are allowed to advertise follow-on milks though - although they have to say that they are not intended to replace breastfeeding.

In the UK we have something called an unsolicited goods act. I think its more to do with things you are expected to pay for though. Like if a company sends you something you haven't asked for then sends a bill a few weeks later. Do you have anything like that where you are?

I would be tempted to write and say you'd recieved goods you didn't order and under the unsolicited goods act demand that they come and collect them. Ok they probably wouldn't do aything, since it was a free sample, but it would still let them know how annoyed you were about it.

(even though formula companies are not allowed to advertise here we still have completely pathetic breastfeeding rates. Especially here in Scotland. I'm sure its something like only 30% of babies in my area are breastfed when they leave hospital. Very sad : )
#28 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 AM

I've gotten several things at Motherhood this time and haven't gotten any formula samples in the mail thank goodness! They have my info but I just told them that I didn't want to receive samples. The only thing I've gotten is a catalog from Babies R Us.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page