Mothering Forum banner

do hiccups count as 'kicks'?

691 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  durafemina 
#1 ·
I've been wondering what really counts as a 'kick' - shouldn't all general movement be considered a 'kick' when determining the activity of a baby?

Like if my baby completely gyrates my stomach, that should count even though i wasn't 'kicked' right?

What about hiccups? do those indicate healthy activity and can they be counted as 'kicks'?

#4 ·
yes any movement counts as a 'kick' for the purposes of counting. if they have the hiccups I would consider that my whole kick count for the day, lol

#6 ·
According to my midwife, any movement counts as a kick except for hiccups.

Obviously a baby that hiccups is alive (and so is a baby that kicks just once), but my understanding is that the point of a kick count is to see if the amount of movement changes dramatically from one day to the next.

#7 ·
Yes, my midwife agrees with pps here that they do NOT count - it is too passive an activity to be considered 'active'
- it's fine for me, baby is moving otherwise, just i'm just 'lazy' in terms of keeping 'records' of movement and hiccups seemed like an easy way to get to quota.

#8 ·
on the other hand, in midwifery, we like to hear that babies who have hiccuped regularly continue to do so when it comes to the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Hiccups, unlike other fetal movements cannot be caused by shifting or bumping of the baby against you, but are *always* the baby in of itself doing something. Hope that made sense. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.