I lied today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... and I don't even feel bad about it.

Little old lady approaches me in the grocery store (how many stories with bad endings start with that... ).

She wants to see Eidie (who is in my sling) and I show her, she asks how old she is and I tell her, she says, "Don't let the blanket suffocate her!" and I show her that it's not, and she says, "I mean in the bed, you do have her in a crib or bassinet, right?" I nod politely and say "Oh yes, something like that."

I'm so, so not bothering with political parenting 8 days postpartum.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#2 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM

Nope, and I wouldn't bother with someone who isn't going to be conceiving any time soon either.
#3 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemommie View Post
Nope, and I wouldn't bother with someone who isn't going to be conceiving any time soon either.
Ha!

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#4 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 PM

how random
#5 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post
she says, "Don't let the blanket suffocate her!" and I show her that it's not, and she says, "I mean in the bed, you do have her in a crib or bassinet, right?"
As well intending as she may have been ... that is so rude.

I don't co-sleep but I still find that extremely rude on your behalf :
#6 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, um, something like that!

I totally think just *being* at the store is enough at 8 days pp! We're at 6 days here and I don't think I'll be running to the store in the next few days!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Yes, um, something like that!

I totally think just *being* at the store is enough at 8 days pp! We're at 6 days here and I don't think I'll be running to the store in the next few days!
We just got home from the hospital yesterday, she was in the nursery for the first week of her life and born by cesarean. It's been a long, closed up week and it felt good to get out. Totally wiped me out though.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#8 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We just got home from the hospital yesterday, she was in the nursery for the first week of her life and born by cesarean. It's been a long, closed up week and it felt good to get out. Totally wiped me out though.
Wow, mama! I bet it did! I actually went to our church's Crawfish Boil at 5 days pp after my first was born - also a cesarean. I totally understand the need to get out! But it was definitely a bit much. I'm enjoying staying put this time, but it's beginning to wear on me even so. Besides, it's so much fun to take them out and show them off - from the safety of a sling, of course!

Get some rest now, mama! I think I'll go try to do the same, and see if he cooperates.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#9 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

I've started lying to people about my due date. My belly is so big that if I tell them truth that I have a few weeks left to go people say "Oh my goodness! Your belly is huge!!!" So I've just started saying I'm due any day now..Less questions that way!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 PM

People can be so weird! In my experience, folks with something positive to say usually keep to themselves, in an effort to be polite (not always the case, thankfully) and folks that want to "help" you by educating, or harm in some way are usually incredibly forthright. I had one slightly insane yet loveable soul reach inside my baby's (Noah a few years ago) carrier, placing her arms between his body and mine, to give him a hug... in a jewelry store (she was selling us jewelry.) After that, I think I"m ready for anything!
#11 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Yeah, there's no point trying to educate old ladies. They're done raising theirs. Might as well smile and nod.
#12 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
I've started lying to people about my due date. My belly is so big that if I tell them truth that I have a few weeks left to go people say "Oh my goodness! Your belly is huge!!!" So I've just started saying I'm due any day now..Less questions that way!
The only problem with that is when you see them again a couple weeks later and they exclaim, "You STILL haven't had that baby?!?!"...I was the queen of "Any day now" and now it's biting me in my arse, I can't go anywhere without someone making me feel like I'm a failure for still being pregnant. :

Seena, Attached Mommy to Jenna (4.5) and Skye (2), mourning my twin angels (M/C 12/09), hoping for a miracle and counting down the days until DH deploys to Afghanistan.
#13 of 15 Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seena View Post
The only problem with that is when you see them again a couple weeks later and they exclaim, "You STILL haven't had that baby?!?!"...I was the queen of "Any day now" and now it's biting me in my arse, I can't go anywhere without someone making me feel like I'm a failure for still being pregnant. :
I finally went off on my friend who asked me on messenger, "If I thump on your belly will you ripen?" I told her that I'm not a damn canteloupe and that I'm getting really tired of people asking when I'm going to have the baby. I get it EVERY WEEK at Gymboree class. The owner keeps asking when I'm due, I'm thinking of making a tshirt that says "ANY DAY NOW, STOP ASKING!" and just wearing that all the time. There's always some mom in the group asking when I'm due, and I know they mean well, but I'm getting grumpier all the time, feeling like saying, "MYOB lady!"
#14 of 15 Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
... and I don't even feel bad about it.

Little old lady approaches me in the grocery store (how many stories with bad endings start with that... ).

She wants to see Eidie (who is in my sling) and I show her, she asks how old she is and I tell her, she says, "Don't let the blanket suffocate her!" and I show her that it's not, and she says, "I mean in the bed, you do have her in a crib or bassinet, right?" I nod politely and say "Oh yes, something like that."

I'm so, so not bothering with political parenting 8 days postpartum.
You can tell by the way she worded it that she would have tried to educate you if you told her the baby was in your bed. I wouldn't have bothered either
#15 of 15 Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seena View Post
That's why I just say it to random strangers that ask me. I'll probably never see them again! The people who know me KNOW when I'm due and hopefully know better than to comment on the belly size!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page