Cutting the cord - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read this and it makes so much sense! I'm telling my midwife to leave the cord alone for at least until the placenta is delivered!

http://www.mothering.com/sections/ex...3.html#cutcord

It's about 1/2 way down the page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 AM

I do plan to delay clamping/cutting (my m/w will do this until it stops pulsing) -- this was something I heard about when pg with DS, but my OB looked at me like I had two heads when I asked her about it. Funny they reported it in mainstream news a few months back... :P

Anyway, this article was quite interesting to me, because my OB's opinion aside, when DS was born he had passed meconium and had the cord around his neck, so it was cut immediately and he wasn't given to me for several minutes and was wrapped up by then, so no skin to skin. And talk about scared in third stage, I'd had an epidural that was switched to a spinal when I almost had a C, but instead I had an episiotomy, which I felt because the spinal didn't work, and the jerk of an on-call OB yelled at me for screaming when he did it, because he said I couldn't feel anything. AND I ended up with manual removal of the placenta. Hmmm...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 AM

in New Zealand (where I go to school) many midwives don't cut the cord until the placenta is born. When I mentioned it to my midwives here, they had never heard of it! Needless to say, I made sure they were cool with leaving the cord well alone - particularly if the baby needs some help getting started, having that extra oxygenated blood from mama makes complete sense!

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
Old 10-06-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam's Mum View Post
Anyway, this article was quite interesting to me, because my OB's opinion aside, when DS was born he had passed meconium and had the cord around his neck, so it was cut immediately and he wasn't given to me for several minutes and was wrapped up by then, so no skin to skin. AND I ended up with manual removal of the placenta. Hmmm...
I've seen exactly that scenario (minus the episiotomy) with a client, who then ended up with a hemorrhage... I'm leaving my cord alone til the placenta is out.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 AM

I hope to leave the cord attached as well or lotus birth (haven't decided).

User Tag List