things to get labor started - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I seem to have a day or two of prodominal labor and then nothing.

Doing EPO, RRL, and squats....nothing yet.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM

EPO is cool - I started taking it - I was effacing on my own but decided it couldn't hurt. I forgot how well it helps with the constipation - that hasn't been an issue since I started oiling the digestive tract!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM

Well, if your body and baby are ready, most things might work. If not, only waiting will help :

- Black/blue cohosh, although I'd only do it with my herborist friend for the correct doses
- Lots of walking
- DTD, for the prostaglandine deposit and the O's that create contractions...
- EPO but it's usually in the weeks prior to birth
- Acupuncture or accupressure points in the back and /or feet

And probably lots and lots of midwife tales

Mama to 5 boys, F (13), J(11), R&X (8), L (2) and growing baby 6 due in Feb 11!!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
EPO is cool - I started taking it - I was effacing on my own but decided it couldn't hurt. I forgot how well it helps with the constipation - that hasn't been an issue since I started oiling the digestive tract!
So at what point is everyone (as far as how far along you are) comfortable doing something to get things going? Are you ladies patient enough to wait until your due date? Or after? Or is anyone starting these things earlier?

Just curious (she types as she sips mother's milk tea)

Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 PM

I'm about 80% effaced, so I've been trying everything. Except castor oil because really, ew. And ow.

Let's see--

Having sex (with myself : they say orgasms are stronger when you do it yourself, and I have a female partner, so the sperm thing is pointless)
Nipple stim
Pineapple
Oregano and basil
Exercise
Walking up and down stairs
Making concrete plans the same night that my doula had plans and the crappy OB was on call
Driving on bumpy roads
Eating Indian for lunch (that was today, so...)

Out baby out.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wel I've had 3 due dates The earliest today so I've just been doing the minor stuff since friday, rrl,exercise eggplant parn and dtd.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM

I'm 37 +4 - I think 38 weeks is kind of ideal for me for a birth. I had ds at 37.5, and he was perfect. My kids were both very alert and active at birth, and my 40 + weeker, hardly seemed like a newborn - she rolled over the first week! I'm really wanting to go ahead and have my baby this week or next. It definately would be more convenient for us. But also, a small part of me does not want to labor at the same time I did with dd, because her labor was so hard. But I'll do what I have to do I guess. I don't have a problem doing benign prep stuff after 36 weeks. There's a big difference to me between taking a little EPO to help prep the cervix or massaging my nipples that are itching to nurse a baby so badly anyway, and trying to force a baby out by taking a huge dose of castor oil or multiple doses of herbal tinctures. I'm definately a pot watcher though...

(Mother's Milk tea has fennel seed in it, which has worked really well for me in the past for heartburn.)
Old 10-08-2007, 04:59 PM

I'm 38.5 weeks by one due date and 38 weeks by the last. I've been doing EPO vaginally and orally, rrl tea when I remember to drink it, walking. Oh yes, I'm also seeing the chirpractor, but that's to get her in a good position I'm not really doing anything serious to help her come, I'm just trying to prep things for her to come smoothly, like butter!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 PM

I'm such a dork, I want tips for the exact OPPOSITE!

While I'm kind of done with being pregnant, I have stuff to DO and am not ready for this baby until at least another week has passed. (I'm at 37w 5days now)

I got all crampy today and was like 'Oh, NO, not yet!!'

So I drank a lot of water and am chilling out now, much to DD's chagrin. I think she's sick of mom being such a stick-in-the-mud.

Tomorrow we're going to have to run errands like mad after my midwife visit, and hope my uterus can be chilled out for just a little while longer. *crosses fingers*
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmarie View Post
I'm such a dork, I want tips for the exact OPPOSITE!

While I'm kind of done with being pregnant, I have stuff to DO and am not ready for this baby until at least another week has passed. (I'm at 37w 5days now)

I got all crampy today and was like 'Oh, NO, not yet!!'

So I drank a lot of water and am chilling out now, much to DD's chagrin. I think she's sick of mom being such a stick-in-the-mud.

Tomorrow we're going to have to run errands like mad after my midwife visit, and hope my uterus can be chilled out for just a little while longer. *crosses fingers*
Well, they use magnesium to stop labor at the hospital -- and my doula suggested that I stop taking my cal/mag at night (to help me sleep) if I wanted to get things going -- so maybe that will help?

It can't hurt anyway...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 PM

I did...

sex
nipple stimulation
tea
walking
squatting
caster oil
buffet (my mom went in to labor with me after a big Chinese buffet)
jumping up and down (his idea)
leaving town (you leave town you deliver in a strange place)
bribes.. seriously
Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 AM

Here are some good ideas for induction - they are fairly serious undertakings, and should be thoroughly researched and discussed with your care provider. My midwife has been very supportive of my use of these methods, because I was overdue with my first pregnancy (my son was 11 lbs 3oz and after 20+ hours of natural labor, it ended in c-section - something I don't want to repeat). I'm trying for a VBAC, so we cannot induce (risk of uterine rupture). So I'm doing everything I can.

Serious Inducers:

Castor Oil: drink 3-4 tablespoons in a small glass of orange juice 2-3 times in one day. This is meant to clear your bowels, and stimulate regular contractions in the process. Not for the faint of heart, we all know.

Blue Cohosh/Black Cohosh: NOT to be used in early pregnancy, as they are amenagogs (might have mispelled - but it just means they can bring on a period and/or cause the loss of a pregnancy/abortion). In late pregnancy, they are used as natural inducers. These are herbal supplements that are more potent than EPO (see below) or tea. They are not meant to be taken before you are at least 37 weeks (full term). The Black Cohosh is meant to ripen the cervix, and the Blue Cohosh can start regular contractions. They work best when used together. This book has a lot of great information, "Wise Woman Herbal Childbearing Year".

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Woman-Her.../dp/0961462000

Sex: Like everyone has said - sex, sex, sex! Semen has prostaglandins which help ripen the cervix. Your orgasm is very important - the uterus contracts during the orgasm and this can bring on regular contractions.

Acupuncture: There are methods used by certified acupuncturists that have been shown to be effective. Ask around to get a referral for a good acupuncturist in your area. This site might help you: http://www.acufinder.com/

Preparatory:

Evening Primrose Oil: These come in capsules that you can get at most good drugstores (I got mine at my local health food store, but I've heard some people have even found them at Walmart). These can be used in two different ways. My midwife recommended inserting 1 gram (2-3 pills) in the vagina before bed. You can also take them orally like regular supplements (although insertion is more productive according to my midwife). The EPO pills have prostaglandins that aid in ripening the cervix.

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea: Helps the uterus during labor. Not sure how, but a lot of people drink it late in pregnancy! Not a big "induction" tool, but said to help during labor.

I'm also taking time each day to talk to the baby and "invite" her to come out and join us. I'll try anything.

Good luck everybody!

Mona

DS - 22 1/2 months

DD - EDD 10/11
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM

looking at these more closely now..!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

If this baby is out by my due date (my original one, not the moved up one), I'm going to seriously look at massage or accupuncture. I can't really wait until 42 weeks, my MIL is coming for 2 weeks on the 15th, which is my updated due date.

User Tag List