things to get labor started - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know some of these are wives tales, but figured "What the heck" want to add to the list

Red rasberry leaf tea

DTD

exercise

eggplant parmasan
#2 of 44 Old 10-06-2007, 10:33 PM

EPO.

Nothing else that I can think of is really natural but last time I was pregnant I tried Castor Oil (yuck and didn't even work!) and having my membranes stripped (didn't work).

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 44 Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 PM

With my last I tried nipple stimulation. I only did it a couple of times because I was desperate and I didn't think it was going to work but it did!! But I don't think it works unless your body is ready to go into labor. If you get desperate you can try that. I've heard that it can cause serious labor right away though. It didn't for me, but I guess it can.

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#4 of 44 Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM

SEX

sex

and more....

SEX

although when you're measuring 42 cm it can become tricky finding a position in which you and your SO fit

okay walking too

and squatting

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#5 of 44 Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 PM

oh DUH. Nipple stim! Totally forgot that.

My experience with dd, 2.5 years ago: After my water broke and nothing happened for 8h, I got on the Medela PIS (a hardcore pump) and was in hard active labor in about 10 min! : In retrospect, I wish I'd just tried a little manual nipple stim before jumping on the pump. OUCH.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#6 of 44 Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 PM

I'm probably the only person on MDC who doesn't know this.... but what do you do with the EPO? Suppository? Orally? How is it supposed to work?
#7 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Apparently orally is better. It's just a natural prostaglandin, should help to soften up your cervix -- I've read that it's easier absorbed through the gut than through the vagina, which is why orally is better.

treehugger.gif Erika
#8 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Clary Sage oil

accupressure points

none of which is working for me. (Of course, I've been doing the walking, sex, EPO, Red Raspberry, some nipple stim.... I really don't want to get out the pump!)
#9 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 AM

This list is depressing...I've been doing all this stuff for weeks(except the castor oil) and barely have had a cramp to show for it!

Last night we went for Thai and ate some really spicy stuff...my whole family has the runs today except me...I think my uterus is made of steel

I actually went out and bought castor oil today even though I am scared to take it. I'm hoping the threat of it will scare my body into labour.
#10 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 01:06 AM

I would NOT recommend castor oil.

It gave me terrible diarrhea and ctx that stopped after a couple hours.

treehugger.gif Erika
#11 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 AM

Let's see...
stuffed my face with fresh pineapple
DTD every morning and night
walked the doggies as fast as my cankles could carry me
gotten my pressure points pressed
meditation, visualization
had super hot jalepenos on my burrito today
cried my eyes out
2 glasses of red wine
I decided that I'm not going to try any methods that aren't enjoyable. Tomorrow I'll try eggplant parmagiana yumm scrumm

Goldie edd10/06/07
#12 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 AM

Eggplant parmesan is only supposed to work because of the basil and oregano. Foods rich in these spices are supposed to be labor inducers. I've heard the smelling basil and oregano essential oil helps as well.
#13 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
I'm probably the only person on MDC who doesn't know this.... but what do you do with the EPO? Suppository? Orally? How is it supposed to work?
ummm what is epo?
#14 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 AM

I did 3 seperate doses of castor oil last time, nothing.
we DTD 3 times a day. no luck.
pumped. didn't work
EPO for days and days
Went for acupuncture. In labor within hours, baby next day.
#15 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 02:09 AM

When we were "overdue" with dd1, we were told:

Spicy Indian Food

Lots of walking

Lots of sex

Rides down bumpy roads

Slippery shellfish - clams, conch, etc. (seriously. I am not making this up)

We tried it all. None of it worked. Dd appeared when she was good and ready. Says something about her personality, too. :

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#16 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Eggplant parmesan is only supposed to work because of the basil and oregano. Foods rich in these spices are supposed to be labor inducers. I've heard the smelling basil and oregano essential oil helps as well.
I've heard that eggplant itself is supposed to have an effect on the uterus. So maybe try some other eggplant foods too. I know that with DD1 Baba Ganeusch (ok, I slaughtered that) gave me cramping early on.
#17 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My mom told me to pretend to roll a quarter, end over end, down your belly, kind of like a belly dancer. It stimulates the uterus to contract. I was in labor w/in an hour.
#18 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 11:04 AM

EPO = evening primrose oil (you can get it from health food store in soft-gel capsule form)

Okay, I knew that, but, srsly, I cannot figure out what DTD means for the life of me.

(Today is my official due date. I have been having stronger contractions but so FEW! Always at night, maxes out around 5 or something and then when I go to bed, they are gone. They were more frequent and consistent with my #3. I have also never gone over or past my due date before, but I can't really count my first two (I was induced). I'm not worried, but I'm definitely compiling and doing what's on this checklist!
#19 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM

DTD is "do the deed" or "doing the deed" or "did the deed" or sex!
#20 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
My mom told me to pretend to roll a quarter, end over end, down your belly, kind of like a belly dancer. It stimulates the uterus to contract. I was in labor w/in an hour.
Haven't heard of that one...I'll have to give it a try. How fast did you roll it?

Is there anything negative about epo? I think I remember m/w saying castor oil was bad.
#21 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas's Mama View Post
DTD is "do the deed" or "doing the deed" or "did the deed" or sex!

I would NOT have gotten that! Awesome. I'll have to tell my hubby we need to DTD!
#22 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 01:27 PM

Waiting, relaxed waiting. :

With DS I had eaten spicy Indian food that day (not because I wanted to start labor, I was just craving it) and my water broke that night. Then we did some nipple stimulation about 27 hours after my water broke to get the contractions going more regularly, but I was already having early labor contractions...we were just worried because there was a bit of meconium in the fluid at one point. The nipple stimulation really got things going, but then things were already going a bit. I had also been taking EPO for several weeks (orally). DS was born 2.5 hours before his "due date"; I think things just happened because it was time. Or maybe he wanted a really cool birthday; he has a really cool birthday (the date).
#23 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplez View Post
Haven't heard of that one...I'll have to give it a try. How fast did you roll it?

Is there anything negative about epo? I think I remember m/w saying castor oil was bad.
Slowly.
#24 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgarden View Post
Waiting, relaxed waiting. :
But maybe not as relaxed as I wish I could be!

When I was anxious to have DS, I had DH rub my feet and press the acupressure points (that supposedly start labor) on my ankles. My water broke a few hours later..... BUT I didn't start having contractions for days, after trying everything, including castor oil, which was one of the WORST experiences of my life. (For me, castor oil was like having horrible food poisoning and menstrual cramps at the same time.) Labor came on hard and fast, but then petered out.... long story short I ended up having a c/s 40 hours later, not the peaceful homebirth I had planned.

So this time I am wary of doing anything that could bring on labor before the baby is really ready.

As for doing the deed.... I seriously think a man with a pregnant wife made that one up. I've never heard of it working for anyone!
#25 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
As for doing the deed.... I seriously think a man with a pregnant wife made that one up. I've never heard of it working for anyone!
I have, but I think it would have started anyway, the sex just pushed it over the edge and I think that is the case with many of these things. I think of things like EPO, Red Raspberry and sex as things that prepare the body (i.e. ripen the cervix, tone the ute...). And I am all for that preparation, much more than really trying to push anything that isn't ready.
#26 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie117 View Post
walked the doggies as fast as my cankles could carry me

Goldie edd10/06/07

I so have cankles too! It hurts!

Nothing really helped me. Right now I have steady CTX if I am upset. I am not able to sit around and cry ALL day, so that is out!! Not too interested in DTD either, maybe I will try later...
#27 of 44 Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM

An idea came upon me this evening as I searched my cupboard for my pregnancy tea and didn't find anything but a sample of mother's milk tea, I remember earlier in the pregnancy I drank some mother's milk tea and later that evening I had quite a few braxton hicks, enough to cause me to worry being that I was around 20 weeks....
A few days later I found out that an herb in it causes uterine contractions and if pregnant not to drink it b/c of that
I am now drinking my last sample of mother's milk tea
#28 of 44 Old 10-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Pretend to roll a quarter? How do you pretend? Can we just roll an actual quarter? And is it really rolling, or flipping?

I get a fair amount of nipple stim here, nursing 1-2x per day, briefly. It always gives me a good contraction or two, but that's it. Come on, baby, the weather is gorgeous, don't you want to see it?
#29 of 44 Old 10-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
But maybe not as relaxed as I wish I could be!

It worked for me and LOTS of people I know... it's much more difficult this time, since I'm much bigger, but I'm still trying. DH and I were in the middle of DTD last pregnancy when I had to stop because the pain of the contractions... turns out my more waters broke and within a few hours I was holding my DD.

hmmm I'd never heard of mother's milk tea... off to brew a pot of water!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#30 of 44 Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM

I wish I could learn patience - it seems to be a quality that God forgot to give me...

I tried uping my usual dose of homeopathic caulophyllum last night - no labor and I forgot it is a stimulant like nicotine - I was sweating like a pig all night and had the a/c turned down like a meat locker!!

It's weird, even the prodrominal labor seems to have left me now. I guess that's a good thing... I have noticed I'm effacing alot - I might be close to completely effaced when I start labor - I reckon that's good...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page