What's your take on membrane-stripping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just thinking about this... I'm definitely a few weeks away from considering this, since I'll only be 39 weeks on Thursday. I feel that my body will go into labor when it's ready, especially given these BH's I've been having! At this point, I'm not opposed to letting the Midwife strip my membranes after 40 or 41 weeks. I'd like to hear what you think about this process. What is your experience with, or take on this?
#2 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM

I am curious to hear what people have to say on this topic as well. I have been wondering what the ups and downs are!
#3 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 PM

I wouldn't do it. I've not seen compelling evidence that its efficacy warrants the risks.
#4 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM

I didn't think it was a big deal---and had it done with my last pregnancy. It worked. My daughter was born within 36 hours at 39 weeks 4 days.

I had never heard anything negative about it until I came to MDC.

I had it done 5 days ago with this pregnancy.. and i'm still here. I have a lot of bloody show---but nothing else. The OB offered to do it again today but I declined because it's not terribly comfortable.
#5 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if I had already lost my plug and were more than 1 cm dilated, I would do it. But I am at my due date today, and would not have it done before my due date.

Just another "it wont work if your body isnt ready" sort of thing.
#6 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM

I had it done several times with my last pregnancy, starting at 38w (no flames! I didn't know any better!) and it was uncomfortable and did nothing. I wouldn't do it again, it was very invasive and didn't work!

However, if I hit 41w (Friday) I'm going to do SOMETHING...

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#7 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 PM

I wouldn't do it, because it can introduce bacteria to the baby (isnt that how it works? it irritates things which could cause premature labor?) Plus I have serious trust issues w/ my parts and other people so I would avoid any unnecessary interventions in that arena what so ever. There have been many cases of women allowing stripping/checking and ending up having their water broken without their consent. If you trust your midwife enough not to see that as a possible issue, and dont feel concerned about the possibility of infection or whatnot, then I think its up to you. There is maybe 1 midwife and zero OBs in my entire life history of being a female that I would trust enough to let do something like that, if she felt that it would help. Unfortunately she is not allowed to come near me because VBAC'ing women all spontaneously combust when they come into contact with homebirth midwives.
#8 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Well, I had it done last Tuesday (the day after my EDD) and I'm still here! I'd already lost much of my mucous plug, been having major BH for weeks, and was about 2cm dilated...
I lost a bunch more plug after, had some more ctrx, and am still waiting for my little man to show up
Also, I didn't find it as uncomfortable as I did with my last pregnancy. I barely felt it.
#9 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM

It's pointless IMO and can introduce bacteria (any time someone sticks something up there it ups your risk!) into the vagina. I had my membranes stripped plenty with DS trying to induce from 38-40 weeks. I don't care what people "think" works. I don't think ANYTHING does unless the baby is ready. The only thing it did for me was make me feel horrible and crampy all day.
#10 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

think that if I decide to go ahead with this in a few weeks, I'll do it as more of a "booster" if it's even needed, than a labor starter. I really appreciate hearing your experiences- the more I read and become informed, the more comfortable I am making big decisions like this.
#11 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 PM

I had it done last Friday and Im still very much pg...I don't think I will have it done again this Friday at my MW appt.

Seena, Attached Mommy to Jenna (4.5) and Skye (2), mourning my twin angels (M/C 12/09), hoping for a miracle and counting down the days until DH deploys to Afghanistan.
#12 of 13 Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had it done (without my knowledge or consent) in my first pregnancy. A day or two later I had a small gush of fluids that I thought must've been my water breaking, but apparently was just the result of the irritation from the membranes. We started trying to get labor going not knowing it wasn't actually time (not quite), so by the time labor really got going - and still took a long time - I was thoroughly exhausted. Had the OB left well enough alone, I probably would still have had a long labor but may well have avoided a c/s.

With this last labor, my MW did an internal (with my approval) in which she did say she stretched things a little. BUT this was in labor and was NOT painful at all, so definitely different than what the OB did (miserable!). No ill effects. So, I'd say if it's as a "boost" to an already progressing labor it may be no big deal, but I am no fan of it for getting labor started.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 13 Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 PM

I had mine stripped at 42 weeks with my first and went into labor that night. I believe I had them stripped with my second at 40 weeks and went into labor that night. Can you believe I can't remember? I went in for my appointment freaking out and asked if she would do it, so I'm assuming she did. I didn't have a bad experience with it. I do believe it will only "work" if your body is already ready. I was dilated to a 3 both times and fully effaced.

I believe they say if you don't go into labor that day, you're not ready and you won't, at least from the stripping. Both my midwives were awesome and didn't do anything to break my water or make it hurt. So really, you've got to have someone who can do it right and not make things worse.

I have no idea if I'll do it this time. My midwife is going out of town around my 42 week day, which sort of ticks me off, she knew at the beginning I went to 42 with my first. Anyway, we might try some things later, but currently I am 38.5 weeks and I only have bh throughout the day, depending on what I'm doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page