Sheesh... - Mothering Forums
October 2007 > Sheesh...
Banana731's Avatar Banana731 03:48 AM 10-09-2007
I'm just going to let it out- aggggrrrrhhhh!

I had that "meeting" with the OB department. They actually had nurse caseworkers there and someone from the ethics department. Good grief. It was okay though, not combative at all. It was mostly the head of the department who is actually this nice soft spoken grey haired lady, and me talking to each other. I still said I'm not going to consent and they gave me a form, which I'm taking to legal before I sign. I think I'm going to cross off the part where it says that if I decline anything(apparently even a hep-lock) I can't hold them liable. Come on! If I decline a hep-lock I can't hold them liable?! I don't actually think a hep lock is even a big deal, but seriously??

My arghhh is more just total frustration. These people have their own way of thinking and I have mine and we will never see eye to eye. I don't mind leaving them alone, why can't they do the same for me?

I told dh that I wanted to take the stairs down after the meeting and he said to me, "are you sure, you don't want to go into labor here!" Funny, but totally true. So send out some positive "eveything will be just fine with giving birth in your bedroom" vibes for me ladies, so I don't have to go to the scary hospital. It is a sad commentary on obstetrics when I am more scared of going to a L&D department than giving birth on my own.

HeatherB's Avatar HeatherB 04:03 AM 10-09-2007

After all this, I'm betting you'll have one awesome birth story! You've certainly earned a good one!
Thandiwe's Avatar Thandiwe 04:14 AM 10-09-2007
Big hugs!! I'm sure all will be well.

I too am afraid of having to go to the hospital. We have some really ignorant, narrow-minded opinions around here, and I know the slack I will get for an attempted hb if things need transfer (my mom is a nurse who has worked the local hospitals when hb moms come in). At about 26 weeks, I had some bleeding and went into a local hospital. I was doing dual care with an OB, but that OB was from a different hospital system, and the L&D that night treated me so poorly. They kept asking, "Well, do you go to OUR doctors??" I can only imagine how things may turn out if I have to transfer and I don't have ANY doctors these days!!

What is they say, though, 90% of what we fear never comes true?? Sending positive calmness your way....
wildgarden's Avatar wildgarden 05:35 AM 10-09-2007
: Banana. I will be thinking of you and sending you those vibes. Best wishes for a peaceful birth where ever it happens for you.
Lookingup's Avatar Lookingup 08:32 AM 10-09-2007
I have a good feeling that everything will go well. We're rooting for you!
zak's Avatar zak 10:17 AM 10-09-2007
Quote:
It is a sad commentary on obstetrics when I am more scared of going to a L&D department than giving birth on my own.
Totally.

that stinks.
Aeress's Avatar Aeress 10:21 AM 10-09-2007
*hugs* you can have a homebirth!
kleines's Avatar kleines 11:05 AM 10-09-2007
You will have a good homebirth! I am glad the meeting wasn't too bad though. I will keep you in my thoughts!
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 12:31 PM 10-09-2007

You can do it!
Dena's Avatar Dena 12:37 PM 10-09-2007
Just keep picturing that easy, uneventful birth we are all waiting to hear about!

Glad the meeting wasn't too awful. I don't really know what the deal is with doctors - reminds me of the old (not so funny anymore) joke:

Q. What is the difference between God and a doctor?

A. God doesn't think He is a doctor.
DoomaYula's Avatar DoomaYula 03:12 AM 10-11-2007
Wow, total CYA medicine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an easy birth for you. You don't need the drama.
Banana731's Avatar Banana731 03:17 AM 10-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Wow, total CYA medicine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an easy birth for you. You don't need the drama.
what's CYA? You can't use all these fancy abbreviations with me, I am way unchat savy...
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 10:24 AM 10-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
It is a sad commentary on obstetrics when I am more scared of going to a L&D department than giving birth on my own.
You're not the only one that thinks that. IMO, it's a regular commentary on obstetrics. I just wish the OBs would get the clue that not EVERY woman feels the same about their oh-so-important-and-special line of work. Last I checked women were giving birth long before OBs ever came on the scene.

Glad the meeting wasn't a flame fest, at least. Have fun w/ Legal...

ETA: CYA means cover your a**.
MamaTu-tu's Avatar MamaTu-tu 02:36 PM 10-11-2007
If I hadn't looked at your location, I would swear you were talking about the military hospital here at Carson.

They actually wanted me to sign a "Consent to Vaginal Birth" form as part of the pre-registration process.

I've been keeping my distance from them as much as I can, and have even discussed a possible "oops" birth at home to avoid the L&D department here. I keep telling people I swear they made their policies back in the 1950's and have not updated them since.

It really bothers me how much military medicine wants to micro-manage a woman's pregnancy and birth, and especially that they aren't required to release publicly things like c-section rates and such.
candyapplez's Avatar candyapplez 03:04 PM 10-11-2007
Sending you happy labor vibes.
Up