BP a little up - any tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm 38 wks and my blood pressure is creeping up.

The midwife sent me to the lab to run a bunch of pre-eclampsia tests, but beyond that, any tips on what I can do to get it back down?

It's been nice and low and no problem all pregnancy and now at the end, it's going up. I have no other secondary symptoms (protein in urine, headaches, eyesight problems) and I'd really like some natural suggestions for getting it back down so hopefully I can avoid any interventions.

Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Drink tons of water, up your protein intake. Is it white coat related, do you think?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM

I don't know about pre-eclampsia, but my husband had a bout of high blood pressure (he's young, skinny and athletic so it was kind of a freak thing) and exercise really helped. He started a daily running regimen and the difference in his bp before and after a run was significant. You might try going for a walk and seeing if that helps.

BP can also vary a lot depending on the day, stress, etc....mine was up to 130/70 at one doctor's visit, and then down to 100/60 the next week.
#4 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM

My midwife mentioned celery root but we never got into the "serious" talk about it because my bp has been better since then.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Drink tons of water, up your protein intake. Is it white coat related, do you think?
I'll definitely do the water and protein. I have been pretty dehydrated, esp since moving higher up in the mountains/altitude 2 wks ago.

I used to have some white coat BP issues, but I thought I'd really mastered those. My BP has stayed @ 112/70 all pregnancy, but now it's hitting 138/90, as of today! Not good! I did change care (from OB to midwife), but you would think that would lower any white coat issues I have.

Thanks for the tips!
#6 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post
I don't know about pre-eclampsia, but my husband had a bout of high blood pressure (he's young, skinny and athletic so it was kind of a freak thing) and exercise really helped. He started a daily running regimen and the difference in his bp before and after a run was significant. You might try going for a walk and seeing if that helps.

BP can also vary a lot depending on the day, stress, etc....mine was up to 130/70 at one doctor's visit, and then down to 100/60 the next week.

LOL! I will definitely start waddling a little faster around the neighborhood. That might just bring Baby out anyway, which wouldnt be a bad thing.
#7 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Accupunture helped me when I was 40+ weeks with high bp.
#8 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Increase your protein level!!!

if you eat eggs - those are high in protein - a couple in the morning can help - esp if you normally eat cereal. . .

double the protein portion at least at your other meals. that should help

also consider magnesium supplements - i think it's also good to take that with calcium - i'm blanking on that right now. . .

i have a blood pressure problem usually in last trimester - not really bad, as it's addressable with protein and comes down to a more 'normal' range . . .

also if you're craving chocolate at all - you're DEFINITELY in shortage of protein.

so it's time to have that triple hamburger (hold the bun) and chicken breasts and all that. . .DAILY!!!! Chef salad anyone?

bettyann
#9 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 PM

Laying on your side as much as possible will help too. It gets the weight of the baby off your aorta and helps your bp stay lower.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM

Mine was high the last appointment too and my midwife said that it could mean you are about to go into labor?
#11 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM

I have had some slight signals of pre-eclamsia but nothing to really indicate it at all. Our midwife said that the cure for high blood pressure and low protein late in pregnancy is to buy whole chickens and boil them, pull the meat off and make soup of the meat you don't like and eat the other chicken for three days. After the third day or so, everything seems to even out. Of course, having some high blood pressure could be signs of impending labor but not too high. I would just make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and eating tons of protein. Pre-eclamsia is combated with high protein intake!! Cottage cheese has tons of protein too. I bought a roatissery (sp?) chicken last night and have eaten about the whole thing. I am being preventative but I don't want to have problems at my next appointment. So, good luck and stay strong. Even if you develop it, it's so late in pregnancy with no other signs that the risks are extremely low. The only way late in pregnancy to really cure it is to deliver your baby so some natural inducation remedies may be your next best bet. We are leaning that way at our next visit should we still not see any improvement! I am about 39 weeks so just a little ahead of you...
~~*Kristina*~~ wife to Joe [] and expecting [] [:] 10-18-07 planning a [] and to [:] Living [:] and saying [] [] []
www.totsites.com/tot/3seawell
#12 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Fluid, protein, exercise. Make sure you salt your food to taste. If you don't have salt on board then whatever water you drink won't stick around. Try and get 100g of protein a day. I do a lot of eggs, chicken, tuna, and cheese. At a lot of warehouse stores you can buy bags of frozen chicken breasts that are pre-marinated and sometimes pre-cooked, so you just have to heat them up in the microwave.

And go for walks. My blood pressure was creeping up (I started at 117/72, then 124/82, 126/87, 128/90) and I started consciously making sure I did 20 minutes of light exercise a day, whether it was a lap around the local mall, or hauling and stacking wood, or whatever, and that really helped.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#13 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM

I have blood pressure "issues" every pregnancy. Its just part of my make up.

First I want to tell you that it is TOTALLY NORMAL for your blood pressure to increase at the end of pregnancy. You're pumping a hugely increased blood volume for you and that little one, so its not suprising that your pressure has to go up often to compensate for that. You shouldn't stress about it, truly.

That being said, there are things you can do that are supposed to help your BP. foods: "good for you" proteins (beans are awesome and you can make up one big pot and then just seperate them into sandwich bags and add them to your various meals...they go with just about everything) or boneless/skinless chicken is great too. Then there is watermelon (which is nasty to me) but is supposed to be great for lowering your protein. cream of tartar in lemon juice, and I want to say hawthorne berry herbal infusion? (but dont quote me on that last one - you should do some research if you're interested in herbal remedies for it)

getting your whole body into water is probably the fastest/easiest way to lower your blood pressure. Swimming is way better than any other exercise because just the water itself lowers your bp plus the weightlessness helps as well and then to top that off any laps you swim just add to the benefit. Getting into a tub is good too. Also getting your feet elevated and being on your left side. Personally I dont like those last two only because they have been only temporary for me. when I'm in that position my BP goes down, but when I get up and go to my appts, they would always go back up again.

salt to taste - DONT cut out salt or increase. Drink lots and lots of water.

I'll post again if I think of any more. FWIW my BP has gone up to 151/106 the date of my DD's birth and I had her with zero complications what so ever.
#14 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 PM

agree with the pp - protein, water, exercise, submersion in a tub or pool, epsom salts if you're in the tub (LOTS - like 2-3 cups), calcium/magnesium, cream of tartar in lemon juice, bananas are supposedly a natural beta blocker too.

I think what has helped me the most has been the walking though. and I also agree it is normal for BP to creep up at the end of t3!

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#15 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great advice! I also had my BP go up at the end of this pregnancy. My MW had me taking cal/mag/zinc with a vit C tablet every night (helps with sleep, too). I was also taking Passionflower Tincture - even during labor. Both of those will help lower BP, in addition to what else has been mentioned.

I actually did start craving chocolate towards the end (hadn't wanted to touch it most of the pregnancy!) so that's really curious that it can be a sign of protein deficiency. I know craving sweets can be a sign of dehydration - and drinking a bunch of water can really help settle the craving!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#16 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

You mamas are wonderful!! Thank you for ALL the advice and support!

I have been craving sweets like crazy. I have never craved sweets in my life - I'm more of a fat & fried woman - so very interesting. I will definitely up the protein and water and try some of those supplements, like the magnesium and Vit C. Also, I am all about the excuse for a nice bath in my new bathtub. Do I need to worry about water temp with Baby?

I havent heard from my midwife, so that's a good sign; she said she'd only call if there was trouble on my tests.

I've been hoping Baby will stay put a few more weeks, but maybe I should start telling her to come on out? Midwife says she's engaged and ready to go any time!
#17 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 PM

it can be warm/hot, but just not so hot that you really have to ease yourself in slowly. just go by how you feel - if it's too hot you will feel really hot/sweaty in it.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#18 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
it can be warm/hot, but just not so hot that you really have to ease yourself in slowly. just go by how you feel - if it's too hot you will feel really hot/sweaty in it.

Thank you! I was hoping someone would answer.
#19 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
also consider magnesium supplements - i think it's also good to take that with calcium - i'm blanking on that right now. . .

bettyann
The magnesium intake should be at least half of the calcium intake for proper calcium absorption...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page