Venting (long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so damn sick and tired of people calling me and asking first thing "are you in labor?" If I call someone, they answer the phone like that. If I call someone and they miss my call they freak out. I am so freaking sick of it. I could strangle someone. Seriously, don't people get it? Not to mention b/c they are annoying me I am sure as hell not calling them until dead last!

I had to go to Toys R Us today (aka hell on earth) to get a sheet for my pack and play. No other store in town carries them, and I needed it asap. The cashier who was a 19 (ish) year old boy said "oh, you look like you are about to pop." Then he asked when I was due. I didn't have anything nice to say, so I didn't say a thing. Did pregnant women EVER in the history of the world POP? Why on earth would you think it is appropriate to ask a stranger that? So many people do it too. I don't go around saying "oh you look like your butt is getting too big for those jeans" or "gee, when was the last time you took a shit." I don't even care anymore that they are "well meaning" it is rude! It is one thing to ask politely when someone is due, or tell them they look good, or something like that. It is sad though, that the majority of the comments I hear in public are just STUPID. I am not feeling the love today AT ALL!

I am only 39 weeks, that means I could go at least 3 more weeks. LEAVE ME ALONE. I am well aware that I am at the end and it could happen anytime. I don't need reminders. REALLY!

Okay, thanks.. I feel a lot better now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM

You too???

I put my yahoo messenger message as "No, the baby is not here yet."

I'm considering adding to it so it will read: "No, the baby is not here yet. Do not ask me how I'm feeling or if I'm in labor. I will not respond."

Mostly it's my mil who asks EVERY FREAKING DAY. Stop asking! If I was in labor I still wouldn't tell you!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Hey, it could be worse. My mother was calling me daily, and rather than just asking "are you in labor?," she'd claim to be calling for some random silly question. "I wanted to know if you thought I should cut my hair 1 inch shorter or 2 inches shorter?" She got sick last week and seems to have stopped doing it now. It's not like I'll forget to call my own mother when he's born!

My best friend started teasing me after overhearing a couple of these calls by starting off every call with "I'm out to dinner, and I can't decide if I want swiss cheese or cheddar cheese on my burger. What do you think? Oh, and by the way, are you in labor?" (She always had a real reason to call, like arranging baby sitting-we share a sitter-and playdates).

I'd really rather just be asked up front. "Just wanted to check in and make sure you're doing well? Not in labor yet?"

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM

Ugh!! I can relate! I have a high school friend who now lives 8 hours away, who I've kept in touch with throughout the years, but not FIVE times a freaking day!!! She calls no fewer than FIVE times!! I am not even answering her calls AT ALL anymore!! I told her last time she called that I am feeling crabby about all the calls. She upped the number!!! :
Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM

I hear you on the phone calls!

My hate moment is when my mother and mother in law (who will both have to travel to help me out--mother in law lives on the East Coast and my mother lives in Phoenix--so last minute plane tickets will be required) tell me to 'wait until next week' because they have stuff to do before then..

Umm, thanks--yeah I'll get right on that!

*holding my legs together really tightly*
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miny20 View Post
I hear you on the phone calls!

My hate moment is when my mother and mother in law (who will both have to travel to help me out--mother in law lives on the East Coast and my mother lives in Phoenix--so last minute plane tickets will be required) tell me to 'wait until next week' because they have stuff to do before then..

Umm, thanks--yeah I'll get right on that!

*holding my legs together really tightly*
Hee, my mother's aunt told me to cross my legs on my due date (oct 31) because "it's the devil's birthday!"

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 10-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so sick of it that I'm going on maternity leave at the end of the week even if there is no baby (I'm due Thurs) and then I'm going to unplug the phone.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
Hee, my mother's aunt told me to cross my legs on my due date (oct 31) because "it's the devil's birthday!"
NO she did NOT. :

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

It wouldn't even be so bad if it were a "hey, just wanted to see how you are doing?" But seriously, "ARE YOU IN LABOR?" I used caps b/c that is how it is asked. Either way I would be irritated to some degree, but the latter just pisses me off!

As much as I want to go into labor and get it over with, I am sometimes tempted to unplug all the phones and not talk to anyone until sometime next month!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 AM

Today, after asking how I was doing, my mom asked if I still have three kids. Like I'd have sprouted another without her knowing? Especially since she's watching the three I have? Oh, yeah, I just popped her out here on the couch, did I forget to call? geez, people are nuts. ...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
LMFAO!
thats a forehead slapper if there was one.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 AM

Quote:
People told me to "sit very still" on April 1st b/c dd was due in April and we wouldn't want her born on April Fool's, would we? She wasn't due until late April, so dh and I just laughed at that silly notion. But on March 31, I sat all day at work and then at a play. Went into labor as the curtain rose (stayed for the rest of the play, though, since it was mild and the play made a good distraction) and she was born on April Fool's--3 weeks early! Dd (now 3) recently told me that she was born on the 1st and was breech "because I thought it was verrrrrrrrrry funny!"

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

My ILs can be looking right at me and ask me if anything is happening yet. As if I could hide the fact that I was in transition right now and hiding the fact from them. UGH. I told them both to stop it. Immediately. My MIL who lives nearby but never comes to see us or her grandson keeps asking about my boobs and if there is any discharge. I'M NOT TELLING YOU.
Yesterday, when I told my FIL that I'd let him know and to stop asking actually told me "Well, it's our baby too". Okay, if it's your baby too, how about you stay up with heartburn, pregnancy arthritis, insomnia? How about you take dilation from 5-7 centimeters and do feedings from 3-5 am? How's that for sharing the baby? Since it's yours too?
:
Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 PM

Can totally relate!! My "due date" was the 7th! I roll my eyes when the phone rings... STRANGERS that know my dp and not me are asking questionS !!!!!!!!

User Tag List